Question about pc problem

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My boss was having this same problem. I looked in the device manager and there was NO hardware and NO driver for sound, but in restart the sound came back (still no driver found). I am going to wipe it clean and install a fresh copy of windows whenever she backs it up.

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My boss was having this same problem. I looked in the device manager and there was NO hardware and NO driver for sound, but in restart the sound came back (still no driver found). I am going to wipe it clean and install a fresh copy of windows whenever she backs it up.

Ouch! You're really gonna re-install windows because of a faulty sound card driver? Seems like a 10lb hammer for a 1 penny nail.......but I guess that is our motto here at LPSG.ORG GRUNT!

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is actually NO sound card and NO driver for the chipset. The Twilight Zone of sound without a cause! Her firewall is also disabled and can't be enabled... that's the main reason, but I can't for the life of me figure out how it is generating sound!

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Typically on Laptops the sound is by way of a chip on the mainboard, most budget and mid range PC's use the same approach.

Exactly, if you have speakers you have a sound chip that is integrated with the logic or mainboard. The bios detects this hardware, Windows then is able to load drivers. There is a driver for it if Windows is involved.

The notebook manufacturer has both an audio driver and bios update. I would update the bios and then the driver. Something is either corrupted (software), conflicting, loose or damaged (hardware) and needs to be rectified.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Knowledge Article C171085

There is no sound or audio in an application when using the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.

Follow this procedure to troubleshoot when there is no sound or audio in the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.
  1. If an application is in use that has its own volume control, check that the volume is turned up.
  2. Ensure the speakers are connected properly.
  3. If available, use a different set of speakers.NOTE: If a different set of speakers works, the issue was caused by a problem with the original speakers. If this is the case, contact the manufacturer of the original speakers for further assistance.
  4. Reset the system BIOS. NOTES:
    • The speakers should be connected to the headphone jack on most VAIO® computers.
    • On some notebook computer models when the computer is connected to the docking station or port replicator, the internal speakers are disabled.
  5. If the speakers have a volume control, ensure the volume is turned up.
  6. If the computer has a volume control dial on the monitor, verify that this is turned up.NOTE: On models with integrated speakers, the volume dial is located on the side of the unit.
  7. Ensure the speakers are turned on.
  8. If the speakers have a mute button, ensure it is off.
  9. If the speakers are powered by batteries, check that the batteries are inserted properly and that they are charged.
  10. Ensure the volume controls are turned up in the operating system.
  11. If the computer is a notebook, press Fn+F3 to turn on the speakers.
  12. If the computer is a notebook, press Fn+F4, and then press the ARROW keys to increase the volume.NOTE: Some notebooks computers have external audio controls, refer the User Guide for location of controls.
  13. Perform a system restore to a date when the program was working.
  14. Reinstall the device driver for sound by removing the existing driver in Device Manager and restarting the computer.NOTE: Updated and original device drivers can be downloaded from the Sony® eSupport Web site at Sony eSupport - Electronics
  15. Perform a system recovery of the computer.
  16. If the issue is still unresolved after completing the troubleshooting steps suggested, service may be required.
NOTE: Updated drivers may be available from the Sony® eSupport Web site at Sony eSupport - Electronics.

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Also Gisella you might want to go into BIOS

Press f2 or delete (it tells you what to press) to get into BIOS

Then somewhere on that screen it will say

F6: RESET TO DEFAULT SETTINGS

Or something similar, it could be f7

Press that, then go to exit AND SAVE CHANGES.

THen if that (and what I said earlier) doesn't work...get a new computer :p

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Typically on Laptops the sound is by way of a chip on the mainboard, most budget and mid range PC's use the same approach.

Dropping it won't be a likely the cause of the problem, if you dropped it, chances are you'd have bigger problems!

Gisella, when you restart the laptop either by restarting from within windows or by shutting down and then switching on again does the sound ALWAYS come back or just sometimes?

If the sound always comes back after a restart it points more at a software or driver problem or, unlikely but possible a BIOS problem. If the sound only sometimes comes back after a restart its more suggestive of a hardware problem.

Possibly there is an intermittent clash, have you installed any new software recently?

Thanks everybody for all the help and saying what I have to do...

I keep focus on Dong because I will get confuse if I focus in everybody at same time..:eek: go bananas easy easy with this kind of issues..:redface:

Yep, everytime I re-start sound comes back..I havent install any software latelly...but I do think my problems started if I remember..very vaguely when I was looking for music in that blue window thing that opens here in my pc and I can copy and do others things with music and I dont know how to do anyways...and it 'crashed' for the first time and I could not listen music from there anymore...I must had press the wrong buttom...:confused:

Just double checking: software is Opera, Ad-aware, and etc?:confused:

Another thing..as you guys are already helping me...sometimes I press something because I'm not used with this runaway mouse...:rolleyes: and it shows a 'report' annoucement that I always choose 'dont send' and than the page I'm looking at close abruptaly...is those things serious???

Thanks very much for your patiences :smile: :wink: ..I'm looking for my receipt that give me tech assistance but it may be in my work storage place...its not in my home..:rolleyes:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here's another simple solution and I'm surprised I haven't suggested it when you told me the notebook was 10 months old. What kind of system maintenance have you ever done. Windows XP as is any MS Windows products get stale after repeated use. I'd also want to know how much memory the PC has installed. There is a process called disk clean up and disk defragmentation that needs to be done. When your mouse is all over the place, your computer has serious issues.

The reason I ask how much memory, if you exceed the amount of memory your PC has installed by opening too many programs, webpages and so on, that has to be written and put somewhere, it is paged to the harddisk drive. This fragments the hdd very quickly and your computer will be very sluggish, even crash.

Here's a couple more links on disk cleanup and defragmenting.

Disk Cleanup Utility
Using Windows Defrag

Do disk cleanup first and then defrag. I recommend you do this process at least every 2 weeks if you have only 256 MB of memory, perhaps once a month with 512 MB of memory.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Here's another simple solution and I'm surprised I haven't suggested it when you told me the notebook was 10 months old. What kind of system maintenace have you ever done. Windows XP as is any MS Windows products get stale after repeated use. I'd also want to know how much memory the PC has installed. There is a process called disk clean up and disk defragmentation that needs to be done. When your mouse is all over the place, your computer has serious issues.

The reason I ask how much memory, if you exceed the amount of memory your PC has installed by opening too many programs, webpages and so on, that has to be written and put somewhere, it is paged to the harddisk drive. This fragments the hdd and your computer will be very sluggish.

Here's a couple more links on disk cleanup and defragmenting.

Disk Cleanup Utility
Using Windows Defrag

Do disk cleanup first and then defrag.

Thanks Transformer..but it is all over the place because I'm not used with it still, I do prefer the steady one I may go to Best Buy to get one soon...:redface:

But for sure tomorrow I'm going to try that too..

Good nite everybody!:smile:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yep, everytime I re-start sound comes back..I havent install any software latelly...but I do think my problems started if I remember..very vaguely when I was looking for music in that blue window thing that opens here in my pc and I can copy and do others things with music and I dont know how to do anyways...and it 'crashed' for the first time and I could not listen music from there anymore...I must had press the wrong buttom...:confused:

Blue window thing? That sounds like windows media player? Transformer's suggestion of a quick housekeep won't hurt and it may flag up a driver file corruption. I don't think that's the issue as a restart always results in sound but it never hurts. Just as an idea when you next get a windows error warning let it report the error, it may point you in the direction of a solution or at least identify it. If you can, make a note of what it says by clicking on the details button.

Doing this remotely it's important to be methodical or you could make it worse. I'd do a defrag and a checkdisk then dare I say it go to Windows update (Go to Contol panel and the link is on the left) or Microsoft Windows Update There may be some new drivers there and it won't hurt to update your security patches. Any new drivers will be listed on the left, probably under hardware, optional.

Another thing..as you guys are already helping me...sometimes I press something because I'm not used with this runaway mouse...:rolleyes: and it shows a 'report' annoucement that I always choose 'dont send' and than the page I'm looking at close abruptaly...is those things serious???

Not usually. It may help to reduce the sensitivty of the mouse (touchpad?) to help control it better. Typically this is done in: Control panel>Mouse:

1) Adjust Double click speed: On the buttons tab there is a slider where the speed can be changed. If the sensitivity to clicking too high you can turn it down by moving the slider to the left a little. See the attached screenshot.

2) Adjust Tracking speed (flying around) : The speed of the mouse can also be slowed down, click the pointer options tab and adjust the slider. See the 2nd screen shot.

These are general (on my laptop) but yours should be similar. If not then you may see an icon for trackpad or touchpad which will allow you to do the same thing. If you run into problems, holla.

Attachments

WessexEN

Experimental Member
Media
If you look out of the window of a passing train,
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
These are general (on my laptop) but yours should be similar. If not then you may see an icon for trackpad or touchpad which will allow you to do the same thing. If you run into problems, holla.

He means this (I dragged out my old laptop to demostrate :) )

Please forgive "3811" as my background.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Blue window thing? That sounds like windows media player? Transformer's suggestion of a quick housekeep won't hurt and it may flag up a driver file corruption. I don't think that's the issue as a restart always results in sound but it never hurts. Just as an idea when you next get a windows error warning let it report the error, it may point you in the direction of a solution or at least identify it. If you can, make a note of what it says by clicking on the details button.

Doing this remotely it's important to be methodical or you could make it worse. I'd do a defrag and a checkdisk then dare I say it go to Windows update (Go to Contol panel and the link is on the left) or Microsoft Windows Update There may be some new drivers there and it won't hurt to update your security patches. Any new drivers will be listed on the left, probably under hardware, optional.

Not usually. It may help to reduce the sensitivty of the mouse (touchpad?) to help control it better. Typically this is done in: Control panel>Mouse:

1) Adjust Double click speed: On the buttons tab there is a slider where the speed can be changed. If the sensitivity to clicking too high you can turn it down by moving the slider to the left a little. See the attached screenshot.

2) Adjust Tracking speed (flying around) : The speed of the mouse can also be slowed down, click the pointer options tab and adjust the slider. See the 2nd screen shot.

Yes, is the window multimedia player!

Yep, at least I always check windows updates and Norton too...and my pc is updated.

Ok, I will do what Transformer said.

Hmm..nice about to control the mouse velocity, thanks!:smile:

Later I will inform how everything went...

Wessex I like trains..thanks!:wink:

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Forget all that stuff. Here's what you need to do -

1) Take a sexy nude video of yourself
2) Upload it to the net
3) Post us a link

Guaranteeded to solve your audio issues.:tongue:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd still want to know what the specs are for this notebook in terms of installed memory. My older Compaq 12XL125 notbook maxes @ 192 MB of PC100. A full install of Windows XP gets it to 120 MB or so, you start adding thrid party applications that load and youare at 150-160 MB. The 192 MB gets down to 184 with shared video memory, so you have 24-34 MB. This is IE 6 and a couple/few web pages at best before it starts to page to the hdd and fragment it. I run the bare minimum on that notebook and use it for light Office applications and to check emails, light websurfing at best.

But anyway, I'd think hers has 256 MB minimum, probably more like 512 MB off the showroom floor. But over 10 months of heavier useage, downloads and the like her hdd is probably severely fragmented. When I slack off an don't defrag a windows box, it gets very sluggish, the mouse even starts to lag and things get unstable as applications become more increasingly prone to crash.

With disk clean up, you recover a lot of hdd space as rarely used files are compressed and cookies and other files are removed. The tell tale sign is what defragment analyzes for the hdd, a lot of red bars, regardless of where they are is a bad thing. Another indicator, the time it takes to defrag the hdd. If it takes an 40 minutes to anhour, that's a bad sign and indicates it needed it. 20 minutes or less, I'd start looking at a driver issue and if that failed, a clean install after backing up data.

If it crashes due to a bad memory stick, try downloading and running memtest86. That will test the memory and find errors, sometimes memory sticks can be flakey and run for awhile before a crashed application or even a blue screen of death (bsod).

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm back...with some numbers...

I have 1,042 kb temporary files

220,386 K office setup...and I do not use this office

32kb webclient publish temporaries

And now? I choose those 3 to clean up ?:confused:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm back...with some numbers...

I have 1,042 kb temporary files

220,386 K office setup...and I do not use this office

32kb webclient publish temporaries

And now? I choose those 3 to clean up ?:confused:

Those are trivial numbers, I'd recommend you leave the office setup even if you don't use it. 220mb on what is probably a 40-60GB drive is nothing.

Note, it would be interesting to see what RAM you have, right click on My computer and select properties, the RAM will be reported near the bottom.

I'd suggest you clear out the temp files but in those numbers they're doing no harm. I would recommend you do a checkdisk if you havent. Open My Computer, right click on C: drive and select Properties>Tools>Error Checking and click Check Now. Normally I'd recommend you tick both the options and then run the scan but as it's not my PC I'd suggest you just run the scan first to see what errors come back. Automatic repair can make things worse.

See Screen shots! Hope this doesn't throw up any serious errors.

Attachments

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Those are trivial numbers, I'd recommend you leave the office setup even if you don't use it. 220mb on what is probably a 40-60GB drive is nothing.

Note, it would be interesting to see what RAM you have, right click on My computer and select properties, the RAM will be reported near the bottom.

I'd suggest you clear out the temp files but in those numbers they're doing no harm. I would recommend you do a checkdisk if you havent. Open My Computer, right click on C: drive and select Properties>Tools>Error Checking and click Check Now. Normally I'd recommend you tick both the options and then run the scan but as it's not my PC I'd suggest you just run the scan first to see what errors come back. Automatic repair can make things worse.

See Screen shots! Hope this doesn't throw up any serious errors.

Thanks..

I did clean temp. files and did the scan...it took almost 1h in phase 4..the only thing that happens was 2 messages about screensaver could not be show bcause something was in use....

In C: I have 56,0 GB and total size is 67,5 GB

LOL...i got some problems to get on 'there' because I was not clicking left...I like use right and the left just to paste.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'd still want to know what the specs are for this notebook in terms of installed memory. My older Compaq 12XL125 notbook maxes @ 192 MB of PC100. A full install of Windows XP gets it to 120 MB or so, you start adding thrid party applications that load and youare at 150-160 MB. The 192 MB gets down to 184 with shared video memory, so you have 24-34 MB. This is IE 6 and a couple/few web pages at best before it starts to page to the hdd and fragment it. I run the bare minimum on that notebook and use it for light Office applications and to check emails, light websurfing at best.

But anyway, I'd think hers has 256 MB minimum, probably more like 512 MB off the showroom floor. But over 10 months of heavier useage, downloads and the like her hdd is probably severely fragmented. When I slack off an don't defrag a windows box, it gets very sluggish, the mouse even starts to lag and things get unstable as applications become more increasingly prone to crash.

With disk clean up, you recover a lot of hdd space as rarely used files are compressed and cookies and other files are removed. The tell tale sign is what defragment analyzes for the hdd, a lot of red bars, regardless of where they are is a bad thing. Another indicator, the time it takes to defrag the hdd. If it takes an 40 minutes to anhour, that's a bad sign and indicates it needed it. 20 minutes or less, I'd start looking at a driver issue and if that failed, a clean install after backing up data.

If it crashes due to a bad memory stick, try downloading and running memtest86. That will test the memory and find errors, sometimes memory sticks can be flakey and run for awhile before a crashed application or even a blue screen of death (bsod).

I dont know what I have...well the numbers about it...if is the numbers you want..

Processor 2.00GHz, 797 MHz, 1.00 GB of ram