Question about trolls

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What do you think are the reasons for people to try and deliberately cause a stir?

I'm thinking that a small minority of them may be doing it for attention, LPSG is a pretty cliquey place in the forums and chatrooms after all.

Most of them i could'nt explain reasoning tho.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Hmm, yes i like my little cliques, maybe its about a form of trust with a small group of people that i chat with frequently that i feel comfortable in.

People causing stirs, i guess you get that anywhere, i feel though that some posters do it for attention like you do Mitch, you love to stir the pot on occasions :biggrin1: hehe

WowALotANamesTaken

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Absolutely, I feel that some people do it for fun, some do it subconsciously, some people do it for some other fucked up reason and the rest do it accidentally because it's something they genually wanted to know about (or something like that) and they didn't realise the reaction they'd get.

That's just my 2 cents worth =)

BJs - oddly enough, there's generally less trolling in the chat room than in the forums! (recently, at least).

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe its banned people who have come back from the dead with a new persona and their getting back at mods and people.

I know a few candidate here

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hmm, yes i like my little cliques, maybe its about a form of trust with a small group of people that i chat with frequently that i feel comfortable in.

People causing stirs, i guess you get that anywhere, i feel though that some posters do it for attention like you do Mitch, you love to stir the pot on occasions :biggrin1: hehe

Absolutely, I feel that some people do it for fun, some do it subconsciously, some people do it for some other fucked up reason and the rest do it accidentally because it's something they genually wanted to know about (or something like that) and they didn't realise the reaction they'd get.

That's just my 2 cents worth =)

Tardis, you've really hurt my fweeelings! :redface: :biggrin1: :wink:

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When you react to someone who's trolling...you're just giving them power over you. Don't react and they either shut up or go away.

Media
There could be a number of reasons this kind of behavior.

I am guilty of comedic contributions on some of these threads, something I need to put in check as it only stokes the fires.

There was one such troll in chat last night complaining about the number of "fags" present on this site. The whole thing is a sure sign the individual stirring said pot is very unhappy with themselves.

Trolls are attention whores. We all know, bad publicity is better than no publicity for these people.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Aww Mitchy, i am so sorry, it was only a bit of fun fella, i was trying to be trollish and stir the pot with my post.

I APOLOGISE :redface:.

Now i am embaressed :frown1:

Tardis hugs Mitchymo.

Lol :biggrin1: you're forgiven, however, there IS a question of sincerety at stake as you have misused your emoticons, they should clearly be reversed!

Oh hell, now i'm trolling :tongue:

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Lol :biggrin1: you're forgiven, however, there IS a question of sincerety at stake as you have misused your emoticons, they should clearly be reversed!

Oh hell, now i'm trolling :tongue:

Well pardon me for such a mistake!!!!! i did'nt realise we had emoticon Police in watching the misuse of them, burn me at the stake then, cut my throat then, chop my hand off then.

Whoa, gee, i'm getting to like being dramatic Mitchy :biggrin1:

btw , thanx for forgiving me hehe

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well pardon me for such a mistake!!!!! i did'nt realise we had emoticon Police in watching the misuse of them, burn me at the stake then, cut my throat then, chop my hand off then.

Whoa, gee, i'm getting to like being dramatic Mitchy :biggrin1:

btw , thanx for forgiving me hehe

Lol, you pulled it off well.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are a few who have a political agenda. For example, science denial trolls are all over the Internet. Their aim is to create the illusion of a scientific controversy by creating a bogus public controversy. It serves to undermine the public's perception of the level of certainty about some scientific issues that are politically under attack.

There is a kind of cottage industry for doing this and it parallels the political trolling that takes place in forums like this. The deniers have learned that one can directly affect the public's opinion by constant exposure to any particular idea, right or wrong. So constant repetition is used to simply condition the publics point of view.

The amazing thing is that it can go viral very fast. For every dishonest instigator with an agenda there are thousands more who have picked up the subject matter and learned how to debate it simply as an ego trip.

The talking points are so well worked out that one can almost pick up a science denier kit on the Internet and practice up on trolling in forums, picking a fight, and spreading the talking points around. It works very well, because very few of the other participants are equipped to sort out the bogus debating tactics and the bogus science.

Whether they believe the troll's point of view or not, the ensuing vigorous debate adds to the other readers' feeling that there might be a scientific controversy after all.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My own personal theory is that they are living in their parents walk out basement, and getting high trying to numb the memory of the fact that they were the last ones chosen in PE class for the team.

Cougar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
To me it is a Control Issue.

They come across to me as people that in real life are weak and have no power. In forums like these, this type of person can change the course of a thread or everyones demeanor & attitude.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To me it is a Control Issue.

They come across to me as people that in real life are weak and have no power. In forums like these, this type of person can change the course of a thread or everyones demeanor & attitude.

Exactly buuuut only if you let them. We all have in our own power how we will react to everything.