Question about urinal etiquette -- gay & str8 peeing next to each other

jutadawg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
OK, I talked with my wife about this briefly and she didn't really get it, so I thought I'd put it out here in the forum, see what people think.

My wife and I had a babysitter tonight, which happens so rarely, but it's so nice when it does happen. We went to see a movie with a gay couple who have been together almost as long as we have. Good guys, the 4 of us hang out often.

After the movie, both guys headed for the bathroom. I decided to hit the bathroom as well, but I was several feet behind them and I don't think they realized I was coming in as well. When I entered the huge men's room with probably 16 or 20 urinals in a row, there was no one else in there but my two friends -- peeing in urinals right next to each other. They heard me enter, acknowledged with a hey or whatever. Then I had to decide really quickly -- do I take a urinal right next to them when there are a dozen or so urinals to their right and left (something I wouldn't do if I entered with a single male friend -- I tend to step down a urinal or two). Or do I move down a couple and make it seem like I'm hinky about peeing so close to two gay guys.

No joke -- I actually was thinking all this for a split second in my head.

I decided to pee right next to them -- it seemed the least rude of the two options. I sensed slight discomfort from them (like barely any, but things suddenly seemed a little awkward -- maybe that was just me). We all pee-ed and finished up and chatted washing our hands, but it was a strange, slightly awkward moment for me.

Had I moved down a urinal or two, would that have come off as rude? Or maybe rude is too harsh (they're good friends and cool guys -- I don't think they would have been offended). Would it have seemed strange, odd, or maybe prudish to pee further away from them? Or did I do the right thing "saddling up next to them" at the very next urinal?

Thoughts from gay and straight alike would be appreciated.

uncut1234

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
im straight, but i can still ask this question....

why the hell do all straight guys think every gay guy automatically wants them or wants to look at their dick? thats like assuming just because straight girls like guys, that they automatically want you and are interested in you... its just a piss... straight or gay... what the hell does it matter,, do your normal routine..

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
for starters although i think you overthought the situation, but its wonderful to hear a straight person is actually trying to make sure they don't offend gay people because a lot of straight people bash us. i don't think they should've taken offense if you were more comfortable using one of the further stalls but again its nice to hear your consideration

uncut1234

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
why should we have to "try to make sure we dont offend gay people".... i thought gays want to be treated like anyone else? shouldnt we just talk to you as if you are straight? when talkin to someone it doesnt make a difference to me weather they likle to suck cock or pussy..so why would i act any different or watch what i do or adjust my behavior around a homosexual?

jutadawg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
im straight, but i can still ask this question....

why the hell do all straight guys think every gay guy automatically wants them or wants to look at their dick? thats like assuming just because straight girls like guys, that they automatically want you and are interested in you... its just a piss... straight or gay... what the hell does it matter,, do your normal routine..

No, you're assuming that was my hang up, and it wasn't. I just normally don't pee right next to other guys, even straight friends. But the situation was such that I thought it might come off as, I still don't know what, rude? prissy? overly self-conscious?

My wife laughed at me when I told her about this. I wasn't worried about them looking at my junk, really. I was more concerned with not wanting to seem like a jerk to my two good friends.

uncut1234

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
oh.. well alot of guys are the same way.. i am too. sometimes ill use a stall if theres a bunch of people at the urinals, stage fright! lol

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it's stupid to use a toilet when a urnal is available that's more suitable for just peeing.

But isn't it common courtesy to skip at least one urnal, when there's lots of empty urnals? Why "crowd" somebody and intentionally invade their slight privacy? But if the urnals are mostly full, then of course that the next or first available urnal.

I wouldn't want to be too close to somebody peeing. What if it slashes or sprays nearby, because the urnal angles just aren't quite right? Probably those urine troughs are better in that regard? They never splash, do they?

jutadawg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
oh.. well alot of guys are the same way.. i am too. sometimes ill use a stall if theres a bunch of people at the urinals, stage fright! lol

But would you use the stall if there were ONLY your two friends in there? And they were right next to each other and you walked in a second or two later?

B_cheeseygarcia

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Urinals are usually designed so you cant see anyone else's dick unless you try to, and theres only a few weirdos out there who do that, so it shouldnt matter where pee. If youre involved in a conversation then you should piss right next to the guy youre talking to.

chip575

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Also it may not have been about the dick, you could have walked in when they were talking or doing something else that they may not have wanted to share.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Most men Gay or Straight are there to take a piss. Thats all they have on their minds.
Uh, yeah.

I don't know what kind of guys these are, and I know some people make rituals out of it, but when I go in, it's to pee. I don't really think about etiquette or which stall to use, or what anyone else thinks. I just go to one (usually the closest!) use it, wash my hands, and go. I don't really care where anyone else goes... well, I mean, as long as they aren't going on the floor or in the sink or on my leg...

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Uh, yeah.

I don't know what kind of guys these are, and I know some people make rituals out of it, but when I go in, it's to pee. I don't really think about etiquette or which stall to use, or what anyone else thinks. I just go to one (usually the closest!) use it, wash my hands, and go. I don't really care where anyone else goes... well, I mean, as long as they aren't going on the floor or in the sink or on my leg...
Yes i couldnt have said it better myself.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Snakey, I have know a LOT of people in my lifetime... a lot.

I've never ever known one single person who didn't pee on a regular basis. I don't know why people get so worked up about it.

EBlend

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I understand why you'd ask yourself this question. I've always been kind of modest that way and will default to a stall if one is available when there is someone else at the urinals. So I've occasionally felt funny about it, too. In my case, I have come to feel that if they want to think I'm weirdly modest, then that's ok with me. I think in your case, if you had gone a couple stalls away, they might have just thought you were modest. I guess they could have thought you didn't want to "be next to the gay guys" but chances are they might not have, too.

Try to understand, it could have made them uncomfortable, too. It does me, sometimes if I am forced to be at a urinal next to a guy I presume to be straight. I believe I might think about this as much as you do. I'm more concerned that somehow I have a sign on my back that says "GAY!!!!" and they're going to be uncomfortable being next to me. Or worse yet, what if I accidently catch a glimpse of their dick? I am just like you in that I don't want to make the straight guys uncomfortable! (And really, I don't think it's obvious that I'm gay.) For me, it's just a lot simpler to use a stall and if they want to think anything, it's just that I'm modest.

The hint of discomfort you noticed could, you know, have been their own feeling that YOU might be uncomfortable, since you know they're gay.