Question about urinal etiquette -- gay & str8 peeing next to each other

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
No, you're assuming that was my hang up, and it wasn't. I just normally don't pee right next to other guys, even straight friends. But the situation was such that I thought it might come off as, I still don't know what, rude? prissy? overly self-conscious?

My wife laughed at me when I told her about this. I wasn't worried about them looking at my junk, really. I was more concerned with not wanting to seem like a jerk to my two good friends.

I kinda think that it's funny that if you have straight friends you pee away from them, (which most guys do so no one thinks they're gay and looking) but when faced with this situation, you self-guilted yourself into standing next to them. I find it even funnier, because if you had peed a couple urinals away, they wouldn't have thought anything about it. It was a bit odder that you peed next to them. They probably only peed next to each other because they are a couple and they could chat. I agree with someone else who said it, treat your gay friends just like you would treat everyone else and if you find yourself treating your gay friends better, treat everyone better. Now you know you can pee next to your straight friends, good for you.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Snakey, I have know a LOT of people in my lifetime... a lot.

I've never ever known one single person who didn't pee on a regular basis. I don't know why people get so worked up about it.
Yes it's such a private thing isnt it ? Then we are doing it in front of a total stranger. So i think most men go in there and do what they have to do and thats it.

cocksucker1969

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm gay and I don't look at other guys dicks at the urinal. I feel it's a private time for everyone.

I bet Sen. Craig wishes that they had separate gay and straight restrooms...would have solved his problems. LOL.

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This another link to help you with the correct "Mens Room Etiquette. hope it helps.
YouTube - Male Restroom Etiquette

Watch and learn

Smartalk

Dammit, I wanted to post this! XD Anyways, I'm too afraid to look at another guy's dick. I don't even have the urge to look unless I'm both horny and the guy is attractive.

PBGem

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think it depends on where this restroom is and who you're in there with. A total stranger who happened to enter at the same time or maybe was there first might not expect (or want) another guy too close while pissing. But if you're with friends, gay or straight, walking too far away is wierd in itself, especially if you're having a conversation about the movie you just watched.
Now in a bar, there's usually only 1 or 2 pissers and maybe 1 toilet in the whole restroom, so you go and do what you have to, nevermind who's there. But in a bar or club, everyone's usually drinking and feeling good, so even the prudes can chill out enough to piss next to the gay man with the big dick.
Always consider the context. All in all, I think you handled the situation well.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Jutadawg: There is no right answer to your question. I would have used a urinal that was a few down from them. I used to be really piss shy when I was younger, and have outgrown most of it. Oddly enough, I would have an easier time pissing right next to a stranger than someone I know.

B_The Greek Dude

Experimental Member
Media
Regardless of if you're gay, straight or whatever, these are the rules:

If you're have to pee and someone's at one of the urinals, you want to space it out so there's one urinal between both of you. I

If there's only one guy using it, go to the furthest urinal possible. If all urinals are currently being used, go to one of the bathroom stalls (preferably the large corner one).

If all urinals and stalls are taken, just hold it.

If you're with a friend/relative and you're both talking before you walk into the bathroom, pee right next to each other and continue the conversation as normal.

--------

This has always been an unspoken, but universally understood code.

jutadawg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The hint of discomfort you noticed could, you know, have been their own feeling that YOU might be uncomfortable, since you know they're gay.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. It was probably me sending of weird vibes. These are two guys that have been together a long time -- obviously they don't care if they're peeing right next to each other. Me, on the other hand, I was just thrown off by not wanting to offend, like not wanting them to think I was afraid they'd see my dick (I'm not, really).

But everyone's comments have, for the most part, been helpful. I think I just wigged out unnecessarily.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
... do I take a urinal right next to them when there are a dozen or so urinals to their right and left (something I wouldn't do if I entered with a single male friend -- I tend to step down a urinal or two). Or do I move down a couple...?

Had I moved down a urinal or two, would that have come off as rude?

It would not have been rude for you to do as you usually do (its even mentioned as proper urinal etiquette at this link):

The Urinal Game Funny Game

If the restroom was very busy or someone wants to chat with you they would be closer.

Jutadawg: There is no right answer to your question. I would have used a urinal that was a few down from them. I used to be really piss shy when I was younger, and have outgrown most of it. Oddly enough, I would have an easier time pissing right next to a stranger than someone I know.

I have bouts of pee shyness too, in which case I would head for a stall.:redface:

B_The Greek Dude

Experimental Member
Media
I have trouble peeing when someone's there. I have no trouble whippin' it out, but unless I have to go REALLY bad, I have to wait until they leave before I can start. I've never noticed anybody checking me out before, though. I'm not sure how i'd feel if I caught a guy staring.

B_cheeseygarcia

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
since youre always supposed to leave a urinal in between and never make eye contact in men's restrooms, I wonder what the proper behavior in women's restrooms consists of (for women--i know guys shouldnt be in women's restrooms)