Votes: 16 22.9%

• Total voters

Gecko4lif

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No.
Not all people have souls so not all people have soul mates.
And The people Who claimed to have met thier soul mate more often then not end thier relationship badly so no I remain skeptical.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you believe in soul mates? Yes, No, Maybe

Why or why not?
I've heard there is more than one soul mate for each of us - hope so.

I've posted this topic to my True Romantics Social Group for more in-depth discussion, so if you're a member drop by and give some input to this topic!

They exist. Finding them is another matter and for the soul mate to also realize it, is yet another matter. Sometimes one person is painfully aware and the other is not. Even completing thoughts, having crossed paths dozens upon dozens of times before coming face to face (same places, without actually meeting), sharing the same exact ideas- even when nobody else does, and other things will not convince some people.

There have been at least 3 so far in my life, one with whom I am still connected to-although not romantically, and that is another part of it. In my mind, it does not have to be a sexual or romantic involvement to make 2 people soul mates.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
No. I believe that basic compatibility is possible, but it won't carry a relationship. Relationships require work, and any expectation that it should be easy or happen automatically is entirely unrealistic. Nothing special comes without effort, and there is no art without conflict.

B_quietguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I never believed in soulmates for a minute. Of the billions of people on this planet, why expect there is 1 and only 1 soulmate just for you?

Some people are very compatible with you, many people that are marginally compatible, and many who just are not. If you find somebody who is 95% or more compatible with you, then great, but don't assume that that person is a soulmate. You can also find many others who are also very compatible with you.

D_Tina_Ciao

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You can also find many others who are also very compatible with you.

HA! I can't find just ONE man who's compatible with me, yet I still believe there are soul mates - not just one for each of us, though. Just can't seem to find anything/anyone - have to endure, though, for there's no other option.

Gecko4lif

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What if your soul mate dies before you find them?

What then?

What are the rules of having a soul mate?

Going into the idea of multiple soul mates is extremely messy when you think about it.

D_Tina_Ciao

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What if your soul mate dies before you find them?

What then?

What are the rules of having a soul mate?

Going into the idea of multiple soul mates is extremely messy when you think about it.

I don't think there are "rules" of having a soul mate or mates. I'm not sure what pertains to them - that's why I did this poll (I am one of the world's most curious females and want to know as much as possible about as many things as possible, lol).

I only know there are some folks who seem to be meant to be together and their lives seem to have developed to draw them to each other so that can happen. Doesn't work that way for many though, so maybe there are only *some* who have soul mates?

I don't pretend to know. I'm just exploring the possibilities and hoping for the best. I *hope* there's a soul mate for me, yet in the wings, just about to come into my life. One can always dream......

D

deleted3782

Yes, soul mates do exist. 16 years ago, after several months of chatting on IRC (remember that one?) we arranged to meet. It was a good "safe" environment, since it was going to be a night out for the whole chat room at one place. There was no need for either of us to hang out with the other, if we didn't hit it off. Plenty of other guys to visit/drink with.
We met briefly, visited, and went out separate ways to meet other guys there. However, the entire night, we were stealing glances of each other. The next day, we talked on the phone. He lived on the other side of the state, but started coming over each night for a visit. Long story short, within 3 months he moved in with me. We moved to Fort Lauderdale for 10 years, and now are back in the north, rehabbing the house after 10 years of a tenant's wear and tear.
So, it's been 16 years. No major arguments. Just a great time together. And, oh yeah..... he's 27 years younger than me. No, I'm not a sugar daddy. In fact, he's supported me several times through the years, when I had five surgeries, and I battled three different types of cancer. And, he's never complained. Just kicks my ass when needed to keep me going!

I recognize that as a great story of two people slowly getting to know each other and hitting it off as it developed into a great relationship, but I'm not seeing it as proof that "soul mates" exist. I've gone through similar experiences only to learn after time that the person I had met was a greedy, self-centered, egotistical, user. :wink:

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
believing in soul mates is the same as believing in souls...or believing in anything. belief. faith. it doesn't apply to rational or empirical thought because it's a different mental muscle entirely. so questions of "how many do you get? what are the rules? how can you prove it?" are irrelevant. the original question wasn't "can you scientifically prove the existence of soul mates?" it was "do you BELIEVE?" it operates the same as all faith...if you have it, you have it (until and unless you don't anymore). and if you don't have it, you don't have it (until and unless you do). in essence, to borrow and paraphrase a cheesy motivational poster phrase...whether you believe or you don't, you're right. personally, even if it's a delusion, i'd rather live in faith and hope that there is someone (or someones) out there for me...as friends and lovers, either separately, consecutively or (ideally) concurrently. ;)

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
believing in soul mates is the same as believing in souls...or believing in anything. belief. faith. it doesn't apply to rational or empirical thought because it's a different mental muscle entirely. so questions of "how many do you get? what are the rules? how can you prove it?" are irrelevant. the original question wasn't "can you scientifically prove the existence of soul mates?" it was "do you BELIEVE?" it operates the same as all faith...if you have it, you have it (until and unless you don't anymore). and if you don't have it, you don't have it (until and unless you do). in essence, to borrow and paraphrase a cheesy motivational poster phrase...whether you believe or you don't, you're right. personally, even if it's a delusion, i'd rather live in faith and hope that there is someone (or someones) out there for me...as friends and lovers, either separately, consecutively or (ideally) concurrently. ;)

Aw! Spoken like a true believer. I think I've always been one of those people who says how can you not believe? Even if it is all a fairytale. One day I feel like everythings falling down around me and all I have to do is just "breathe" and I'm ok. Maybe everyone doesn't believe, that makes me sad for them, but happy for me for staying true to believing there is always something bigger at work.

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Aw! Spoken like a true believer. I think I've always been one of those people who says how can you not believe? Even if it is all a fairytale. One day I feel like everythings falling down around me and all I have to do is just "breathe" and I'm ok. Maybe everyone doesn't believe, that makes me sad for them, but happy for me for staying true to believing there is always something bigger at work.

there's a semi-famous anecdote about Carl Sagan talking to a scientist colleague of his. He said, "you're a smart person. how can you believe in God?" she turned and said, "you're a smart person. how can you not?" i assume they hugged and went out for root beer floats after this exchange. ;)