Question for Blacks, Latinos, Asians and Jews

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When you interact or meet someone for the first time who shares your ethnicity say in a public place but is otherwise a complete stranger, do you have an immediate affinity and openess to them just because they look like you? Are you more inclined to be nicer to them? Strike up a conversation? What goes thru your mind and what do you generally feel?

Do you connect in some secret way that white people don't?

B_DEATHbyCARROT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When you interact or meet someone for the first time who shares your ethnicity say in a public place but is otherwise a complete stranger, do you have an immediate affinity and openess to them just because they look like you? Are you more inclined to be nicer to them? Strike up a conversation? What goes thru your mind and what do you generally feel?

Unless he was just the victim of racism and I was identifying with him I could care less.

Actually if I was walkin in the hood late and alone and someone who looked just like me (young black male) I would be more likely to avoid my own kind just because the sad reality is that in that situation the thing most likely to kill me at that moment is another young black male statistically. Believe me I wish that were not true, but it is...

I connect with people I think are like-minded and in my experience that is not always a black person.

Why the hell are you asking this anyway?

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what DEATHbyCARROT said.

I connect with people who i would think that shares my experience at that moment. he could be a black person (most of the time they are), but it doesn't have to be.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL! No. Color is not always a deciding factor. I would say mutual experience. Or also because my parents are from the South I have been taught it is just polite to be kind and gracious to others , period.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When you interact or meet someone for the first time who shares your ethnicity say in a public place but is otherwise a complete stranger, do you have an immediate affinity and openess to them just because they look like you? No, not at all. Are you more inclined to be nicer to them?Almost never, unless they are a senior citizen, visibly pregnant woman or a child. Strike up a conversation? Did I mention I'm an elitist snob? :redface: Unless I assess them to be of a similar education and socio-economic status as myself I'm not chatting them up. Even them I'm really not the talk to strangers type. What goes thru your mind and what do you generally feel? It really depends on the situation. If we are online at DMV commiserating and complaining about the ridiculous lines, paperwork, and lack of pens to fill out the paperwork; that's different.
Back in September 2001, when I moved into my apartment in south Jersey I had to wait for the cable guy. He was supposed to be there between 1 PM and 6 PM. He arrived at 8:00 PM, it was dark out, and he was black and I (a black woman) was scared. How stupid is that? The truth is black on black crime has always been high. I actually called my girlfriend on my cell phone while he was there just incase he was really a knife wielding murderer.:redface::mad:

You mean other than our mutual love of fried chicken and watermelon and mutual hate and distrust of "the man." :tongue:

A good friend of mine swears black men do the head nod, but I think she is full of it. She's right, you do the head nod. :tongue: Heck even I have rcv'd and given the nod. I never initiate it and I never get the head nod from other black women. It is always from a black male between 18 and 50. To me the guys usually look thuggish, it's never a fine looking brother in a Savile Row suit. I have done it in the past, but not lately.

sjprep06

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
In public places, I'm either open to everyone or no one at all. And oddly enough, even though I'm a young black male, I generally don't automatically go to a group of people just like me because, at times, I notice that they seem to be a bit 'cliquey' and I hate that...

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Thanks for that clip jason_els.

When you interact/meet someone who shares your ethnicity say a complete stranger in a public place, do you have an immediate affinity and openess to them just because they look like you? Are you more inclined to be nicer to them? Strike up a conversation? What goes thru your mind and what do you generally feel?

In my community there is the saying "Good manners start at home and go abroad." As one who displays such manners I say good morning, evening etc. to persons I encounter regardless of what color they are. Being polite and dealing with others in a pleasant manner has always be advantageous to me in retail sales. Wouldn't you prefer that strangers that you encountered were polite to you?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Since I have distant ancestors that were "black" and "asian" I feel like I should be able to answer this question.

While living in Korea, I always found it totally bizarre and awkward how every last foreigner I'd see out on the street would seem to feel obligated to acknowledge me in some way, even if (and this was usually the case) I did not know them from Adam. I'd always get at least a smile, a head nod, or sometimes a "hey, how's it going?"... as if just because of the fact that we were both not born there we must have something substantive in common. Or as if we had some secret conspiracy or were members of a special club. It baffled me and always made me laugh afterward, especially the random head nods I'd get walking along the street.

The only place I wouldn't get this would be the neighborhoods where foreigners were commonplace (Yongsan, Hongdae, Gangnam, Insa-dong) or the majority (Itaewon). But everywhere else I'd get the "hey hey! we're both White! represent!!" thing. It would make me laugh.

cklover

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What a stupid thread...mindboggling...I hope men and women from those different parts of the world realise that ignorant question must be from some some young, angry KID or maybe from a general human dope.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Since you pose such a question i will take you on your word. Get out and meet the wonderfull people in the world from all walks of life. You will see people are just people.:cool:

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Yeah, didn't you know? When I see a Black male over 18 I strip down to my b-day suit..."
If they are younger...they give me their address so when they turn 18...
It is ON!!!!:rolleyes:
earllogjam
If you are NOT pulling our legs.....
Color has NO effect on who someone is NICE to at least in my eyes.." If a women looks at me twice, I speak. That mostly happens with NON White women...." That is why I have met some really cool women from ALL parts of the world. Because, we just start to talk after saying "HELLO"
Guys have to speak first..." I find the main ones who do are White males then second it is Black males. The rest are kind of RUDE.......

garyvidic

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I greet everyone the same way, I give them the nod and the smile and say "hey, how you doing", if they want to chat Im open to conversation. If I know the person then there is a comfortable feeling.

I'm Hispanic (well thats what I check in official forms lol I'm actually Belizean) and the one thing I dont like that a lot of Hispanic people do when I go up to them is that they talk Spanish to me. OK I look Hispanic but that doesnt necessarily mean I speak Spanish. Especially in restaurants, the waiters take my order and they ask me in Spanish. Ive nothing against the language, I myself speak it but that doesnt mean I want to speak it with strangers, plus were in America we should be speaking English lol. If the person tells me that they have trouble with English then of course Ill try to accommodate the person because thats how nice I am. lol

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why the hell are you asking this anyway?

I recalled the time I was traveling in India for a month alone and it was the first time in my life that I physically and socially felt like a minority. I remember feeling vulnerable and in danger at times. I remember meeting other white people traveling and they would always acknowledge me and be very friendly just like NIC's experience in Korea. It was such a strange experience that I wondered if minorities in the US have similar experiences. I don't know if it was just the desire to converse in the mother tongue and trade war stories or if it had anything to do with sharing an ethnicity.

What a stupid thread...mindboggling...I hope men and women from those different parts of the world realise that ignorant question must be from some some young, angry KID or maybe from a general human dope.

I never thought walking in someone else's shoe was stupid and ignorant. You might try it sometime. You might come to see things differently for yourself.

Yeah, didn't you know? When I see a Black male over 18 I strip down to my b-day suit..."
If they are younger...they give me their address so when they turn 18...
It is ON!!!!:rolleyes:

LOL.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Dude, dial back the anger a notch!:rolleyes: He asked a legitimate question. Either you are new here or you never read the forums. If you did you would know that earllogjam is neither a young, angry kid nor a general human dope.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Since I have distant ancestors that were "black" and "asian" I feel like I should be able to answer this question.

While living in Korea, I always found it totally bizarre and awkward how every last foreigner I'd see out on the street would seem to feel obligated to acknowledge me in some way, even if (and this was usually the case) I did not know them from Adam. I'd always get at least a smile, a head nod, or sometimes a "hey, how's it going?"... as if just because of the fact that we were both not born there we must have something substantive in common. Or as if we had some secret conspiracy or were members of a special club. It baffled me and always made me laugh afterward, especially the random head nods I'd get walking along the street.

The only place I wouldn't get this would be the neighborhoods where foreigners were commonplace (Yongsan, Hongdae, Gangnam, Insa-dong) or the majority (Itaewon). But everywhere else I'd get the "hey hey! we're both White! represent!!" thing. It would make me laugh.

Your final paragraph answers this Nic. Perhaps it shows that deep down we do have certain race issues or are still tribal to a degree. Your experience of this is more pertinent than the OP, all due respect Earl, because you can find yourself in situations where you are the foreigner. It doesn't have to be colour based either, I have connected with a black US marine before, because we had being westerners in common in a place very foreign to both of us.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you did you would know that earllogjam is neither a young, angry kid nor a general human dope.

Thanks njqt466. What would a specialized human dope be, I wonder?:tongue:

I agree it's a legitimate question, though I think both the subject heading and the question itself could have been phrased better and that's what people are taking offense at.

Yeah. It does sound a bit trollish. Sorry about that. No offense intended.