Question for Brits...

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
well take the word "butter" for example. Americans say Budder and the Brits say Buttah. We don't pronouce out t's in some words and they don't pronouce their R's.

there's a lot more to it than that... ther are so many British and so many American accents. We've had thread on both - but I'm far too lazy to go look for the links... sorry...

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think Christian Bale is one of those actors who will come to be thought of as America, Liz Taylor is more american than errrm apple pie.

I didn't know that Christian Bale wasn't American. Does he always speak in an American accent?

Liz Taylor grew up here as a child, so we own her.

Nicole Kidman is American by birth.

I always heard that Billy Idol was born in NY, he wasn't, but he lived there from the age 3 to 7.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
there's a lot more to it than that... ther are so many British and so many American accents. We've had thread on both - but I'm far too lazy to go look for the links... sorry...

Yeah regional accents are different. In Boston they saw Cahh, for car. (like the first syllable in the word ca-na-py)
in NY they saw caw.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

I guess I never heard him talk before. He has a very strong Brit accent, In fact I didn't understand the first few words he said, untill I played it back.
He says " Sir Michael Caine, it'nit. But then he kind of goes in and out of a strong accent, at points certain words sound American.
He is dreamy.

The video is funny. It looks like the interviewer is holding up a quarter (due to the background) Nevermind, that's not even the interviewer that's just a kid in the background poster.

PaulF

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know Bettie Davis is not Britsh but she stared in two films in the ukand she was fantastic with the british accent, she was such a star!!!!!!!!!
I love her to bits:notworthy: :notworthy:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I adore Bette Davis, she was every inch a star, who didn't love her as Baby Jane :)

I found her accent quite un-America, at times she almost sounded British, I also find this with Katherine Hepburn, very clipped clear diction.

I just listened to the youtube Christian Bale vid, he's got a very weird accent, it almost has an Australian twang at times.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I just listened to the youtube Christian Bale vid, he's got a very weird accent, it almost has an Australian twang at times.

It happens when you move around a lot - especially as a kid - you develop a morphing accent that kind of takes on the nuances of the people you are talking with. Also - if you are aware of that, you sometimes try not to do it - which leads to overpronunciations in the other direction - which is sometimes why I think he's sounds quite London there - he's just trying hard not to sound American.
Accents aside - it's the pitch of his voice that I like - having said that it maybe something to do with the fact that there's a big fuck off bass bin under the desk I'm sitting at. RESONANCE!! :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :redface:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I adore Bette Davis, she was every inch a star, who didn't love her as Baby Jane :)

I found her accent quite un-America, at times she almost sounded British, I also find this with Katherine Hepburn, very clipped clear diction.

th.

Katherine Hepburn grew up in Connecticut (part of the NY, NJ ,CT tri-state area)

Bette Davis was born in Massachusetts. About a 3 to 4 hour drive from NY.

I think thier accents are Hoity-toity. But they made them all there own.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As far as accents go, I've heard that if you've gone thru puberty speaking a different language than you later speak,you will always keep it.

Of course some people have a good ear and can lose the accent.

As far as British and American accents go they are both English so easier to mimic amongst ourselves.

Oz10

Expert Member
Media
Myrtle Beach (South Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The best American accents by non-Americans would go to Toni Collete in "Sixth Sense" and Emma Thompson in "Angels In America." Not only do they pull off convincing accents, but the do amazing with regional dialects (Philly and NY). Most people doing any accent from Baltimore to Boston can't make it work because they try way too hard and come off doing an impression of an accent.

A side note: I remember a really great making of Mel Gibson's Hamlet on HBO where they had a whole thing about perfecting British dialects and the voice coach said that it is easier for a Brit to do an American Southern accent and vice versa because true southern accents (not cajun influenced) are just slowed down British accents. While the northeast was being filled with every European language on the map thanks to Ellis Island, the South held onto colonial roots and slowed things down. I imagine if you put the Royals in rocking chairs on a porch with no air conditioning and just glasses of sweet tea for a few years, they might devolve into the Clampetts.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The best American accents by non-Americans would go to Toni Collete in "Sixth Sense" and Emma Thompson in "Angels In America." Not only do they pull off convincing accents, but the do amazing with regional dialects (Philly and NY). Most people doing any accent from Baltimore to Boston can't make it work because they try way too hard and come off doing an impression of an accent.

Actually Toni Collete is great in everything she does. I started this thread with her in mind.
I just saw her in Little Miss Sunshine. I also watched a part of 'in her shoes" just to hear her American accent.
She was GREAT in the Night Listener too. (I think she also did a teenage American boy's voice in that movie)

Emma Thompson did a great American accent in Primary Colors. But she is always good.

SteveWood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Katherine Hepburn grew up in Connecticut (part of the NY, NJ ,CT tri-state area)

Bette Davis was born in Massachusetts. About a 3 to 4 hour drive from NY.

I think thier accents are Hoity-toity.

Yes, their accents (especially Hepburn's) were typical of upper-class northeasterners of the time ... perhaps a bit exaggerated for effect. It sounded quasi-British but wasn't a deliberate imitation of British English. The accent has vanished almost completely. The last people with full-on upper-class accents that I can think of were George Plimpton and William F. Buckley.

ETA: Oops! Buckley is still alive.

As for American accents by foreigners, Australians, as a group, seem to do it the best. In addition to Toni Collette and Russell Crowe, who were mentioned above, Naomi Watts, Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett can all sound convincingly American. Hugh Jackman, too, come to think of it.

To my ear, Hugh Laurie's American accent is perfect. I'd never know he was British if I didn't know he was British.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd say another factor is that we spend far more time watching American tv and movies than Americans spend watching UK output.It's easier to pick up the accent when you're hearing it all the time.

I think that's a big part of it. We aren't exposed to British accents nearly as often they are to ours.

Christian Bale was raised in multiple countries. He does a different accent for each movie he's in, and does all press interviews for them in the same accent as the role he's promoting. It does get confusing.

I pride myself in being able to spot fake American accents most of the time. I can think of two off the top of my head that surprised me: Guy Pearce in "L.A. Confidential" and Melanie Lynskey, who plays the stalker neighbor on "Two and a Half Men." Until I saw her in another movie, I had no idea she was from New Zealand.

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I guess I never heard him talk before. He has a very strong Brit accent, In fact I didn't understand the first few words he said, untill I played it back.
He says " Sir Michael Caine, it'nit. But then he kind of goes in and out of a strong accent, at points certain words sound American.
He is dreamy.

The video is funny. It looks like the interviewer is holding up a quarter (due to the background) Nevermind, that's not even the interviewer that's just a kid in the background poster.
Since we're talking about accents Bale as Bruce Wayne is the Best american accent by a non american on film I feel. but what region if any is it from or is it a non regional one. I also tend to speak a somewhat non regional accent, like a news caster.