Question for Experienced World Travelers

CherAlways

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey Guys,

I am in the very beginning of the pre-planning stages for putting together my summer vacation, and need help from some experienced world travelers.

I am 24 years old, and Gay.

I would like to go to a beach environment, where younger guys are known to where Speedos, Square-Cut Bathing Suits, or other similar skimpy swimwear.

I believe that guys in Sydney Australia do, but the problem with that is our summer is their winter.

Does anyone know of any beaches around the world where many younger guys feel free to wear skimpy bathing suits?

I am not necessarily solely looking for gay beaches, but am not opposed to them either.

Thank you so much for your help.

-Zach

bendigoboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
What about the Greek Islands - say Mykonos or the South of France?
In Australia, even in our winter it will still be warm swimming weather in North Queensland - try Cairns / Port Douglas / Palm Cove in a search and see what you like.

Over-reaching

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I believe that guys in Sydney Australia do, but the problem with that is our summer is their winter.
If you go to Far North Queensland (e.g. Port Douglas, Cairns, Mackay area), the southern winter is in fact the time to go. The southern summer there is the wet season: stormy, humid, rainy, and in any case you can't swim in the coastal waters at that time of year because of the stingers. The dry season (say April/May to early November) is beautiful, however, and warm to hot.

Further south (e.g. Sydney), of course, swimming is more of a summer pursuit.

D

deleted436524

Magen's Bay in St. Thomas. I've been here many times and have always enjoyed it.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got two words for ya, CherAlways: Costa. Rica.

Stupidly beautiful beaches. Like, unbelievably, insanely beautiful beaches - and they're just about all public property. People from all over the world, so you get bathing suits of all types. A lovely country with a lot of lovely people - it's very rare to hear about homophobia directed at tourists, and the crime rate is pretty low (though you should always exercise caution, no matter where you are in the world). And it's got a true tropical climate, so the coastal temperature varies around 27C by about +/- 2C through most of the year. Also, the ocean water in many parts hovers around 25 to 30C.

Whenever we plan a beach vacation, we always start with "Costa Rica, or somewhere else this time?"

dgantt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Fire Island, NY (The Pines or Cherry Grove) turns into a gay beach mecca. *Clothing optional*

D_Alec_Baldtwins

Account Disabled
Media
I got two words for ya, CherAlways: Costa. Rica.

Stupidly beautiful beaches. Like, unbelievably, insanely beautiful beaches - and they're just about all public property. People from all over the world, so you get bathing suits of all types. A lovely country with a lot of lovely people - it's very rare to hear about homophobia directed at tourists, and the crime rate is pretty low (though you should always exercise caution, no matter where you are in the world). And it's got a true tropical climate, so the coastal temperature varies around 27C by about +/- 2C through most of the year. Also, the ocean water in many parts hovers around 25 to 30C.

Whenever we plan a beach vacation, we always start with "Costa Rica, or somewhere else this time?"

Where in Costa Rica do you recommend? I'd thought about going in the past, but was reading on some travel forum sites that the petty crime was so bad, locals will steal your stuff off the beach if you go for a swim, even if it's just towels you leave behind, unless you go to one of the super-nice, super-expensive resorts.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Where in Costa Rica do you recommend? I'd thought about going in the past, but was reading on some travel forum sites that the petty crime was so bad, locals will steal your stuff off the beach if you go for a swim, even if it's just towels you leave behind, unless you go to one of the super-nice, super-expensive resorts.

People will do that anywhere. Costa Rica is no different. And don't go to a super-expensive resort. Trust me on that. You're better off going to a lovely little B&B near the water.

The Pacific coast is great. I hear great things about Santa Teresa and Uva (Ova? I can never remember...) as well as Dominical. Manuel Antonio is more touristy, if you're especially missing gringos and SUVs. It's got some of the nicest touristy beaches and lots of great accommodations. Arenal and Monteverde are nice inland attractions. Hot springs, cloud forest, good local eats, volcanoes. Montezuma and Mal Pais (on the Nicoya peninsula) are great for surfers, out-of-the-way, and full of European backpackers. Montezuma, in particular, smells vaguely like weed all day.

If you really want to get out of the way, try the Osa peninsula.

I'm happy to talk over PM (and therefore not threadjack) if you'd prefer.

Growin66

Just Browsing
Media
As others have mentioned, almost everywhere in Australia you'll find guys wearing speedos. Younger guys sometimes wear them less than guys in their 50s and older. But the Northern Summer is our Winter, and the weather in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth is too cold to swim. That said, in Queensland the weather is perfect for swimming.

Elsewhere, you'll find that Rio is big on the square-cut swimmers... you'll see people walking around Ipanema or Copacabana wearing little else. I'm not sure of temperatures in the Northern Summer, as Rio will be having it's Winter then as well.

European beaches that I've been to in Spain, Turkey and Greece are populated by speedo-wearers, and speedos are pretty common on beaches in South East Asia as well (which is warm all year around).

ruggerkit28

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The Mediterranean islands - Spanish Ibizia (avoid the straight bits, San Antonio), Mallorca, Greek isands, Mykonos for gay, or any of the others.

Most beaches in Europe will have guys, if not in speedos, in pretty skimpy thongs and briefs. We are MUCH less inhibited in this than our cousins on the western side of the Atlantic.