Question For Gay/Bi African Americans

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by bek2335, Oct 18, 2009.

1. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

I am a white woman who has met an African American woman who is a practicing Baptist, and I am very attracted to her. I don't know if she has ever been with a woman: I only know she is not dating anyone right now, is in her early 40s, has a grown daughter and has never been married. I don't want to stereotype or make assumptions and I will certainly try to have a conversation with her to explore her feelings about homosexuality before I consider revealing how I feel about her, but I'm wondering : in your opinion, how likely is it that, being a practicing Baptist, that she is homophobic?

2. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

I am a white woman who has met an African American woman who is a practicing Baptist, and I am very attracted to her. I don't know if she has ever been with a woman: I only know she is not dating anyone right now, is in her early 40s, has a grown daughter and has never been married. I don't want to make assumptions or stereotype, so that's why I asking for some others' thoughts on this. I will certainly try to have a conversation with her to explore her feelings about homosexuality before I consider revealing how I feel about her, but I'm wondering : in your opinion, how likely is it that, being a practicing Baptist, that she is homophobic?

3. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Well, on average, people of color are more socially conservative and tend more towards homophobia.

I would start by revealing that you are gay, not that you like her. One step at at a time.

4. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

Lex:

Absolutely. I need to have her reaction to that first before I can determine what to do or not do next.

#4 bek2335, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. Principessa

Gold Member

Yikes, talk about looking for love in all the wrong places. :tongue: Sorry, I couldn't resist as that song has been running through my head off and on for a week now.

I would say that if she lives in the southeast there is a fair to good chance she is homophobic. :frown1: I hate to pigeonhole all Baptists or southerners as being closeminded, but there does appear to be quite a bit of evidence of that over the years. :redface: :mad: :frown1:

My advice as a black woman living in the southeast, with a penchant for white men is to take Lex's advice. :cool:

Good Luck. I hope things work out for you.

6. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

Thanks, njqt. Your posts usually always show good sense, so I appreciate your input. I am from the mid-atlantic region, for which I was grateful long before this question ever came up.
    I wasn't "looking for love", as it were - I met her in the course of going about my usual business. But my track record for making unfortunate choices is...impressive, so your point is well taken.
    You have a penchant for white men...I for black women. No doubt we face some of the same challenges.

7. Symphonic

Gold Member

Albums:
    Get her drunk. Convert her.

8. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

Ha! An excellent idea. :)

If I could, I would. I am not above it.

#8 bek2335, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Idiotic advice. This line of thinking perpetuates people's fear and discomfort with queer folk.

NJQT and I share a love of hunky white men. We used to fight over guys ALL THE TIME! :wink:

Also remember: Just because she is living in the south does not mean that she shares "typical" southern views or even that she is from the south.

I live in the mid-Atlantic and I believe only in living within 3 hours of the ocean (fuck living anywhere else in America). My hubby was in FL when I met him. Come to find out, he was originally from NY and is not a southerner at all.

Food for thought.

10. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

Lex, I think the line about "get her drunk" was a joke. At least I took it as a joke, and my response was meant in humor as well.

Wherever you and njqt each live, I wish you were closer to here. I'd like to be friends with both of you.

11. D_Percival Puddleford Pukehorn

very likely. I would thread SLOWLY. Get to know her better. It's the best thing you can do now.

12. sleepiboi

sleepiboi Member

I would do as the previous poster and tread slowly. In the black community people act extremely homophobic

13. Principessa

Gold Member

I as you can tell from my moniker originally hail from New Jersey. So my mindset is different from most natural born southerners. Wow, you think I show 'good sense' THANK YOU! :smile: I consider that high praise indeed.

Oh, I have made my share of bad choices in men, even when I think I am treading carefully. :redface:

Most likely.

Yeah that pretty much only works with men, I think.:rolleyes:

Yup, nothing more annoying than a hot, gay man with the same taste in men as me. :tongue: :lmao:

14. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

njqt:

I will be flattered to be considered among your friends. And Lex - that is one beautiful specimen of a man, isn't he? Geez.
    New Jersey is indeed a pretty good place. I have lived here my whole life save for 3+ years in New York City back in the 80s. And even though NJ is crowded and expensive, I can't imagine going anywhere else at this point.
    Thanks again to you and everyone else here for what is certainly sound advice.

15. SpeX

SpeX New Member

If she's a practicing Baptist,she'll probably hit you upside the head with her bible.

To most holy rollers,homosexuality is an abomination unto God.

16. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

She isn't shrill...but she has told me which Baptist church she attends. I have another friend who is a church going Baptist and she believes the church is wrong on this point. Nothing is true of every member of any group.

17. bek2335

bek2335 New Member

It has been my experience that white religious fanatics are meaner than black ones. But I'm not necesarily talking about fanatics here - just people who are more religious than the general population.

Draft saved Draft deleted