Question for guys who work out regularly and are serious about it

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Branleur49008, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Branleur49008

Branleur49008 New Member

Albums:
    I'm going back to grad school this week, and get access to my school's excellent fitness center.

My twin brother died three and half years ago and I think the way I handled my grief was through food. I never fluctuated more than 5 to 10 lbs from my ideal weight before he died, but since his death, I've packed on 65 lbs! I'm fortunate in that I am 6'5" and have a large statured frame, but even so it has to stop and it has to come off.

I know what I need to do to lose the weight, and have a modest goal to have dropped 30 lbs by this time next year. My question is this:

Should I concentrate on working off the extra and dropping the weight, or should I combine weight training with weight loss. I don't have intention on becoming Charles Atlas, but I want to tone up, have a little muscle and build lean muscle mass.

I know adding muscle is going to seem to slow down my weight loss since muscle is heavier than fat. Psychologically I think it will be a great reinforcer if I stick to losing and see that number on the scale go down and start building muscle mass after I have lost the weight.

But, perhaps there is a benefit of combining weight training and working off fat concurrently that I'm not aware of?

2. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

weight training will accelerate the fat burning

3. STYLYUNG

STYLYUNG New Member

I lost 41 pounds in a year after quitting a traveling job. I bought as business that kept me on the move.. barely had time to eat. Eating less and walking in the miles-per-day distances all on that property, is what did it. Suit size dropped from 45 to 41. Former work associates didn't know me until they recognized my bulge.

4. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Its a good idea to do some daily cardio along with building lean muscle, check out bodybuilders.com for great info. Sorry for the loss of your twin bro.

#4 B_Monster, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  5. xrj789

xrj789 Member

It's easier to build muscle mass when you already have a storage of fat. If you want to lose weight (ie, fat) and get lean, do lots of high reps of things, like 13-15 a set. I'd suggest three sets of each exercise as well, any less and you won't get results that are as demonstrative. Do bench press, shoulder press, stuff like that - basic exercises that work several groups at once.

The big thing is to eat healthy and do lots of running (or stairclimbing or whatever). Get your metabolism back up - I assume you had a good weight back before your eating binge. But stick to salads and things; it's amazing how much weight you can lose with a healthy diet.

Check out my gallery for my pics. I do high-rep exercises, lots of sit-ups, and lots of running. It gives me that lean, toned look.

6. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    Both Monster and Nick got it right: Do both weights (or body-weight exercises) as well as cardio. And can I recommend sprint training to strip that fat and keep the muscle? Also easier to to do cuz only fucking hell for 30-40 minutes rather than 1 hour which will also make you lose muscle.

7. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    They say each pound of muscle burns 50 Calories a day, but each pound of fat only burns 2 Calories a day. So yes, you should try to build muscle too. And it should be easier than for a skinny guy, since you have this extra reserve of calories. Just make sure you eat enough protein. Workout and be aware of what you are eating and you'll be way ahead of most people.

8. waterpoloplaya

waterpoloplaya New Member

mix up your cardio, i interchangably swim, run and row when im out of season. Gives you a well rounded workout plan, but whoever said it was right light weight, high reps, 3-5 sets. dont go and kill yourself right away in the gym though, work your way back into the swing of things if you dont your risking injury, which would make u gain more weight :)
    best of luck and condolences on your bro man

9. Primal_Savage

Primal_Savage New Member

Albums:
    All of the posts above are on target. Proper nutrition, in addition to weight (reistance) training and cardio, is a big part of figthing the weight battle, What you don't want to do is starve yourself, but instead eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. Why? Because that will keep your muscles in a fat-burning mode as they'll be getting a constant tho not excessive supply of nutrients. As to cardio, my favorite is the fat-burner mode on the Stairmaster. I also advise my clients to do cardio last, if they're also doing resistance training the same day, and never more than 20 to 25 minutes max.

10. boone22

boone22 New Member

Albums:
    Without a doubt, the very best thing you can possibly do is to start building muscle. Simple daily maintanance of muscle consumes more calories that maintanance of fatty tissue. Every additional pound of muscle you gain means more of the calories consumed go toward simply maintaining the status quo. So, if right now your body consumes 2400 calories a day doing your basic mudane routines, if you add 5 pounds of muscle your body will still need the same 2400 calories, PLUS an additional 500 calories simply to maintain that new muscle. If you put yourself on a 2000 calorie a day diet, there is an obvious deficit, which means your body will start to burn the fat. For each additional pound of muscle you gain, your body's needs are increased, and your caloric need (and deficit, if you maintain the same caloric intake) are increased and you dont get stuck on weight loss plateaus. The tricky part here is to not reach a point where your body starts to burn the muscle off. If given a choice, your body will always get rid of muscle long before it ever resorts to getting rid of fat. So what you need to do is make ABSOLUTELY sure your diets consists of PROTEIN!!!!!! You shound consume about 200 grams of protein aday to make sure you have the reserves to build muscle, and to maintain it. Stock up on Turkey breast, chicken, lean ham, low fat milk and yogurt, oatmeal, natural un sweetened peanut butter, whole grains, eggs, etc. Get used to green veggies, like italian squash, spinach, broccolli, asparagus. Blueberries are excellent, but dont go overboard on fruits...they have a lot of carbs. Try not to consume carbs past mid day. Get lots of WATER. Stay away from soda, even sugar free soda. The sweeteners trick the body into a knee jerk response. I'm not a big calorie counter , but I do check labels. Obviously you want to keep fat relatively low, but also compare the sodium and sugar amounts. I might choose something with higher fat grams over higher sugar grams. Like yogurts, alot of them have alot of sugar grams, even though they are fat free. that aint good. same thing with fat free salad dressings. As far as cardio, I wouldn't do more than 20 mins, 3-4 times a week. Use it to build up some stamina, but don't expect that cardio will be a big calorie burner. It tends to accelerate muscle loss more than anything else. You still need to do it to get your heartbeat elevated, but these morons that go for an hour are just screwing themselves. Good luck, buddy and just focus on lifting those weights and building solid muscle.

11. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good advice above. Weights, aerobics and healthy sensible eating (not strict dieting) will work wonders. If you pay attention to your appetite you'll probably notice a natural desire for more protein and less carbs. (But don't go down the Atkins Diet route. That's too extreme.)

I'd be wary of focussing too much on weight-loss. Why not make it a fitness campaign? Measure your results by your waist size, general tone, strength and stamina. Or percentage body fat, if you have access to scales that measure that. I bought one last year for £30. They're probably cheaper now.

Take a pic of your body as it is now, for comparison later on. It can be difficult to see improvement when you are seeing your body on a daily basis. If you're comfortable with it, post you body pics here so you can get feedback on your progress from us. I promise not to letch too much! :biggrin1:

12. BCH

BCH Member

Go to www.warriordiet.com and DON'T diet. Get some Russian Kettle Bells and work out 4 times per week. You'll get into the best shape of your life and it's EASY.

13. Branleur49008

Branleur49008 New Member

Albums:
    Wow...thanks for all the great advice and tips, guys. I truly do appreciate it.

I think the eating part of this is going to go pretty well. I already eat a pretty healthy diet, probably heavier on the carbs than it should be. As someone mentioned above, "don't go on a diet" Amen to that. I really enjoy food (though I am not addicted) - I enjoy cooking and doing so with fresh, unprocessed foods. None of that low fat shit. Margarine is not allowed in my fridge, although butter is and it is used sparingly. I use olive oil for as many things as possible in place of butter.

The other thing that rarely comes into my house is soda, diet or fully sugared. My drink of choice is water, and I am sure to always get my 8 to 10 glasses a day. I just need to exercise portion control, exercise and do resistance weight training.

I'm not going to post any pics yet (too self conscious!), but I'll take some now and post them after I have made some steady, noticeable progress. I also realized that even though as my muscle mass goes up it will appear that my weight isn't decreasing as fast as I think it should, BUT...I have a closet full of pretty awesome clothes (probably about $4,000 worth) that I will eventually be able to fit into again, so regardless of what the scale says, I'll know I'm making progress when I'm able to dress like a proper Rico Suave, LOL.

Thanks again guys...I knew I could count on you.

14. D_Willieford Blabbermouth

D_Willieford Blabbermouth Account Disabled

howdy,

i started going to the gym... have lost 5kg in a month... which i think is about 11lbs can never remember thta conversion...

good to hear that you eat healthy. remember dont skip meals.... that doesnt help infact it hinders ur progress... you need food to "go". your metabolism needs a kick start in the morning which u get from eating breakfast. also if u skip means... yes you will lose weight... BUT this is the BUT not from the parts you want... you prob know we get our energy from three things... protein, carbs and fat... preferencial use in that order... if u start skipping and dont eat ur body will go into shock... shut down ur metabolism and start eating any protein it can find... i.e your muscles i know a guy who suffers from mucular attrofy... it isnt nice

15. Rocky14441

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Godd advice above. I lost my brother, too. My heart goes out to you.
    On the fitness stuff: cut down your portion size. It is really hard to do at first, but it pays off in the long run. Your body, your gut gets used to it, and digests what you eat more efficiently. After a couple of weeks your stomach shrinks and you feel just as full on 1/3 of the intake. I went from 195 to 160 that way, and now I have to make sure I eat enough to keep my weight up. Bring on the Ben & Jerry's!
    Keep the weight light, with lots of reps. Even the most dedicated routine only puts on 2-3 pounds of muscle a month, and you can lose way more than that in fat.
    Oh, yeah, watch The Biggest Loser. Those guys are freakin' amazing!

16. Cowabanga

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sound like what I do!

Tell you why, because the body will burn quick burning energy before they burn fat. so with a little warm-up just to get the sweat going and the heart rate up, you'll be ready for some high energy burning intense weight resistance routine.

When you finish with the routine, then shift into fat burning mode, because you just now depleted most of your glucose and carb stored in the body. You now have prepared the body to burn mostly fat and the Aerobic workout will help increase your stamina for your next high intense weight resistance routine.

Drink only water while working out or you will undo the high intense workout and put glucose right back into your blood stream. They'll be time for eating when the workout is done.

17. D_pxN6c

D_pxN6c New Member

I been between 180-190 most of my adult life. Than I graduated college and over 2.5 years ballooned up to 260. I been working on my cardio 3 days a week. When I started I could only run for two minutes out of every ten minutes (doing thirty minutes). I'm now running about twenty minutes of the thirty. I'm down to 225 now, and I only started at the end of October. I also try and watch what I eat. I try to eat more fruit and veggies.

18. cajun boy 8x6

cajun boy 8x6 Member

Albums:
    Well buddy you have gotten an overwhelning response to your thread, and all good . let me say how sorry i am for your loss. i have no idea what that is like, but im sorry. ill tell you how i dropped 60 pounds in 6 mos. i started drinking V/8 juice along with a big salad for lunch every day, then a salad at supper, along with either tuna or grilled chicken, or something like that. the key is that i fill up on salad then i dont eat as much other stuff. and i work out at the gym 6 nites a week doing what i need to for my own problem areas......... hope all goes well for you, and hope some of everyones advice gives you direction......................cajun

Draft saved Draft deleted