Question for men/women with gay adult sons

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Jay1074, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Jay1074

Jay1074 Active Member

Nov 4, 2007
    You know your son is gay and you're OK with that... what are your thoughts when your son is seeing a much older man who is easily old enough to be your father? I'm talking about an age difference of about 40 years or more here.

We hear about May/December romances all the time in the hetero world but they are just as common in the gay community it seems. A couple of years ago I was dating a guy who turned out to be much older than I suspected. He looks great and I took him for at least 20 years younger than he actually was. Turned out he was 75 and I was 34 at the time. The relationship ended only because we lived a bit too far apart from each other making getting together difficult. But we clicked in just about every other aspect. What makes me ask is I recently admitted to my mother that I dated a 75 year old for a few months a couple of years ago. She was speechless for a few minutes before she clumsily changed the subject. Keep in mind she's 56. I know she's struggled with my sexuality for years but she assumed that I dated guys my own age give or take a few years. The age difference really made her uncomfortable, bless her heart. Would this kind of situation upset you too? Feel free to be honest... I have gotten some strange responses from my parents over the years so I'm used to it. :biggrin1:
Draft saved Draft deleted