Question for the guys who work out...

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Crex, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Crex

Crex Active Member

Albums:
    So, before we begin, take a look at my gallery pictures so you can see where I'm at and what we're working with. It's OK, I'll wait.

...back? Excellent.

As you can see, I'm far from fat. I weight about 140-145 lbs, it constantly fluctuates. Occasionally I'll dip under 140, but that kind of freaks me out.

I have a small layer of fat that covers my stomach that I'd like to replace with a nice six pack, or even a little toning. The only problem is, I have no clue what to do to get into good shape.

I bought a weight bench, and have started bench pressing. I do 10 reps three times a day with 50 lbs - and before someone says it, I know I'm weak, I just didn't know where else to start and 50 seemed like a decent enough number.

I also do pull ups to exhaustion at least every other day. I do crunches occasionally, but I was told as long as I have that fat there, it won't do anything but build muscle under the fat, making me look bigger.

Again, I know I sound completely naive and unintelligible about all of this, but frankly that's just because I am! So can someone point me in the right direction of a workout routine and give me some tips about what I should be eating?

Any help would be much appreciated, and if you guys get me in better shape, I'll post a lot more pictures. :cool:

2. hungthickone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am not a trainer but have had trainers give me and others within earshot at the gym the same advise over and over.
    Make your diet the #1 concern.
    Eat 5-6x a day, small meals of protiens fruits and veggies. Its ok to have lots of different types of foods, just be sure there in right proporton(light on the starches, fries, breads etc.)
    add protien powder drinks in everyday, your weight has to go up befor you begin to CUT.
    Pull ups work back and shoulder muscles.
    Go to realjock.com to find a workout plan that is targeted to beginners and focuses on the muscles you want to grow. They should be all of them ! !(balance your body )

3. Stephenmass

Gold Member

Albums:
    Crex,

A lot of guys that are just beginning think that because they use lighter weight, they are not strong, etc. Well, everybody has to start somewhere. When that gets easy, up your weights.

As said above, DIET is the most important I think combined with exercise. When I say diet I do not mean starvation. Let's call it a change in the way you eat instead. To see abs, you must lose some fat around the midsection (not saying you are fat) and I honestly doubt you work out enough (most of us don't unless you are in the gym for literally hours per day) to worry about putting on too much muscle, etc. Get your workout in, do your situps focusing on not pulling your neck and make sure it is your abs that lift you, NOT your arms helping. You may do a few less, but it's better to do a bunch of good ones than many bad ones.

I wouldn't worry about building too much muscle. For one thing, the weight you are using isn't enough to superbuild (you don't want that anyway). What you do want I think is lean, very lean muscle that looks good and to lose a bit of fat around your waist while working out and hopefully your abs will show through.

4. jockmaestro

Gold Member

Whatever kind of training you do, WEAR A JOCKSTRAP!

5. tray22nc

tray22nc New Member

Crex, this is a struggle that a LOT of people face.
    First, don't immediately get discouraged. If you are just beginning to work out, you do have to stick with it a while before you see a major change, esp at your weight.
    Second, you aren't fat, but you have belly fat which is the hardest to lose. When people first start losing weight or working out, more often than not the extremities are the first to lose weight. Since you aren't a big guy, you will have to focus more on your mid section to get rid of the small amount of subcutaneous fat.

As stated above, diet is important, but very aggressive exercise is crucial in order to eliminate the fat. I suggest crunches with simultaneous leg lifts.

Good luck, and I'm sure we all look forward to seeing more pictures! :eek:)

6. Crex

Crex Active Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the advice guys! I am going to have a lot of trouble getting adjusted to eating so many times a day, but I'm sure I'll get use to it. I'll keep everyone updated if and when I make some progress!

7. thinarrowroot

thinarrowroot Member

Albums:
    crex, as mentioned by the others, your diet(what you eat) is the most important. Get that in order, with 6 meals a day, adequate protein, carbs ( from fruit, veg and whole grain) and good fat.
    I am just like you and working really hard on the same goal. I do workout regularly too and here, I would advise you to push yourself.
    can discuss more if you wish, you could email me - thin_arrowroot@live.com
    take care

8. conchis

Gold Member

Albums:
    go to a gym and learn the basics of training and then, if you prefer, workout at home.
    start to eat correctly: carbs before the workout, proteins after. lot of vegetables/fruits.
    5 meals it's ok.

become a complete athlete: run/swim/train with weights. and NEVER forget STRETCHING.

9. amrod

amrod New Member

As has been said several times here nutrition is the No. 1,2 3 and 4 determinant of good abs. Whoever said about not doing crunches is talking thru their butt. There is no substitute to getting into the right cardio and weight routine from the start. With the right attitude and commitment (which you seem to have) together with an appropriate diet and a good training program anyone can develop good abs. (climbs down from soapbox ...) Good luck ....

10. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Its hard to give advice because you have not made it clear what you want. If all you want is a six pack abs, then circut training would be your best bet. Your current routine is too random and unfocused. But something is better than nothing.

Also, you have not mentioned your height which is very important because that number factors into your weight.

You have to have clear goals going in, then you make a plan, then you follow it.

Yes, nutrition is a big part of it, but what you eat and how you eat are also reflective of the goals you are trying to reach.

So again, without know what YOU want, I am going to be vauge like everyone else.

And dont even get me started on suppliments.

All BSing aside, the easy fix for you is to invest into a system like the P90x workout DVDs. It does all the thinking for you using light weights and lots of cardio. In 90s you should get your 6-pack.

Now, if you want some serious muscle, then we need to have a different conversation. But again, is that what you want? How much do you want to weigh?

So to sum it up, here is my list of the 3 things you need:
    1. A goal oriented overall plan with specifics.
    2. Proper rest for recovery
    3. Good nutrition based on the goals you are trying to achieve.

To be continued...

#10 Wish-4-8, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  11. Strontium

Strontium New Member

Albums:
    If you'll excuse me quoting myself, the following is pertinent to this thread:

ie diet and lifestyle

General guideline: work some cardio into your routine, keep the gym sessions under 1hour, and follow up your workout with say grilled fish and salad, rather than McDonalds.

As for specifics on the workout, you're best to talk to a personal instructor at the gym, who can give you hands-on advice.

-

Attached Files:

#11 Strontium, Feb 26, 2010
  12. 1NiceRod

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If you are the kind of person that needs a manual to follow for suggestions and to keep on track, The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko it a great resource. It provides a lot of education on diet, gives sample menus and recepies, and also gives suggestions on exercises that will help. Although it is called The Abs Diet, it is not just about abs. It is about overall health and fitness.

13. B_R_I_E_F

B_R_I_E_F Member

hey, you gotta start somewhere....

my advice is: what you eat is more important than how much you can lift.

I can do weights 5 times a week but if I eat more than one beagle my body just puffs up. Cardio is your friend. So am I... good luck!

14. Crex

Crex Active Member

Albums:
    Again, thanks for the advice guys, I'm such a novice at all of this that I really do need the pointers!

To answer the question about my height, I'm about 5'8 or 5'9, or somewhere right in between the two. My current weight is 140. My routine IS all over the place, but as people said, I figured it was better than nothing.

Right now, here's in detail what I try to do every other day:
    Stretches
    5 Minutes Jumping Jacks
    Rep 1 of Bench Pressing
    Rep 1 of Curls
    5 Minutes Jogging in Place
    Rep 2 of Bench Pressing
    Rep 2 Curls
    3 Minutes Jumping Jacks, 2 Minutes Jogging in Place
    Rep 3 Bench Pressing
    Rep 3 Curls
    8 Minute Ab Ribber from P90 (precursor to P90x)

My overall goal is to trim fat and have proper definition to my abs and arms. I'm not looking to look like a body builder, I just want to feel good when my shirts off. A six pack is desirable, but right now I'll settle for anything.

Hope that helps!

15. seattleguy77

seattleguy77 New Member

I had your body back in college (you have the better cock though :smile: ).
    Definitely burn that ab pudge off now so it doesn't haunt you in 10 years - I still have mine as you can see. Try jogging to get your heart rate up - sounds like you don't have a gym membership, but I like cario machines cause you can control the workout a little better. And you can probably get away with a 20 minute jog a day.

If you do start lifting more, focus on your legs. Most guys, like I did, work the upper body which develops quickly. But if you can put on a couple pounds of muscle in your legs, you'll have the engines to burn that ab fat off for the rest of your life. If I could go back 10 years, I would totally be married to the squat rack.

#15 seattleguy77, Feb 26, 2010
  16. D_Ernest Porknine

D_Ernest Porknine New Member

At times you just have to do what you have to do! If it was easy don't you think everyone would be walking around buff? Achieving and maintaining an athletic physique requires dedication to both training and diet and really involves making a lifestyle change in how you eat, etc.

Sure, some people can put muscle on or take fat off their bodies but then slip back into not being in shape again soon. Trying to maintain an athletic look is hard but it is also rewarding in so many ways!

17. countryboyyota

countryboyyota New Member

Albums:
    so you are going for getting ripped ??

18. Stephenmass

Gold Member

Albums:
    Crex,

Not trying to nitpick, but in your example of your workout you said rep 1, etc....

rep 2, etc....

I think you mean set 1, and you should say number of reps you do....

For example

Set 1 Bench Press 100 lbs, 8-10 reps.
    etc.....

Just so you get your terms correctly. That means in your first set of bench presses, you lift up 100 lbs, 8 to 10 times.

19. Crex

Crex Active Member

Albums:
    Thank you, I told you I'm a complete tool at this. I meant set, with 8-12 reps. :)

20. tray22nc

tray22nc New Member

No man, you aren't a complete tool, you're just new and are learning. We all learn at some point, right?
    What I found to be beneficial, is to set your workouts in groups (this worked for me, but I'm sure not for all, but I thought I would share nonetheless). For instance, I did biceps and back one day, triceps and chest one day, shoulders and legs one day and integrated cardio in every day, AFTER I lifted. ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you follow proper form when you lift though, otherwise you aren't doing anything but fucking your body up. Seek advice from someone who can SHOW you (not describe to you) in person how to lift properly.
    And btw, I don't see any reason you should be embarassed or ashamed to take your shirt off.

Draft saved Draft deleted