Question For Toned Guys

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by BulgingDave, Jan 10, 2010.

1. BulgingDave

BulgingDave Active Member

Albums:
    First of all i hope this is in the right thread

I was wondering if all the toned guys on here could suggest some ways in toning up (all over not just the arms or the stomach)

weather it be just simple exercises, using weights etc

not interested in steroids so no mention of that stuff thanks :smile:

but any help would be appriciated :)

thanks

BD
    :smile:

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

It's really a combination of diet and exercise. I go to the gym three days a week and work three rounds on the machines. I play tennis once or twice a week. I take a dance class once a week. When in NY I tend to walk at least a mile or more a day. I think the machines at the gym are important, but I think it's equally important to find some physical activities that you enjoy.

3. BulgingDave

Albums:
    thanks for the feedback :)

4. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree that to tone up, it's more about being very active (to burn off flab) and keeping an excellent diet that is low in fat and carbs, especially empty carbs found in junk food.
    I do a fair amount of weights at the gym, but I also do a lot of activities that are good cardio workouts, the latter of which is more effective in keeping me lean. If you can find a cardio activity that you actually enjoy (running, basketball, swimming, etc.) rather than just doing the eliptical or some other boring cardio machine, you'll find that the time goes by a lot faster and you end up doing more of it. But, no matter how much cardio you do, if you're not eating a healthy diet you won't see the results.
    So in sum, lots of cardio-based exercise and a healthy diet. Once you've got that down, you can start adding some core-strength conditioning that will help tone up the lean build you've developed to add some better definition. Hope that helps!

5. BulgingDave

Albums:
    yeah i loved swimming i use to do that at 6 in the morning for 2 hours and it helped for a while but then i couldnt afford the membership anymore :( maybe ill check that again. Thanks :)

6. patreus

patreus Member

Albums:
    Dave,

The down and dirty of "toning up" or "getting in shape" is a lifestyle change. If you eat right and exercise right, you will get in shape. It really all comes down to how much you want it: how much effort you put into it and how much you persevere.

Another guy asked a similar question last week and I wrote out a couple of pretty long posts that lay out everything you need to to do get in shape.

See my posts on this topic:

Tips to get in shape?

Summarizing my other post, here is my advice to you in a nutshell:

--Follow the Starting Strength program religiously. This is pretty much all you need to know about lifting weights.

--If you are trying to cut body fat, on the days you are not lifting add a good cardio routine. You don't need to do more than 30 min. at a time. (Look up "HIIT" if you are really serious about losing body fat.)

--Adopt a clean, high protein diet and eat at least five small meals a day, with a special emphasis on breakfast and your pre- and post-workout meals. Drink lots of water.

--Get lots of sleep (at least 8 hours a night, with a regular bedtime).

--Don't give up!!! Keep with it!!!

I have never really been "fat" or anything - I was just kind of average - but my whole life I never really had the body I wanted. About a year ago I made the decision to really commit to getting the body I wanted. I am not there yet, not by a long shot, but the progress I have made is remarkable, at least to me. I look very different. And I did it by following the program I outlined in my other post and that I summarized for you above. Like I said, it all really boils down to how much effort you put into it. If you stick with the right program, you will eventually get the look that you want.

7. jockmaestro

Gold Member

"Weather..." "WEATHER" it be???

8. D_Ernest Porknine

D_Ernest Porknine New Member

Well, at least you're not asking, like most people do, to only tone up your stomach or arms. People think that you can spot reduce, which you can't. When you lose bodyfat (tone) your body will lose it from all over and not just one place, although it does seem to start more so from the place it was last put on, at least that what it seems like.

9. lpsg17

Gold Member

check out the bodybuilding group here there is a lot of good info and routines

Draft saved Draft deleted