Question For Uncut Gents

I'm terribly curious why it seems that there are some guys who have an aversion to retracting their foreskins. Some of the responses almost seem militant about it. (paraphrasing) "I never would." "I only retract in the shower." etc. Is there some magic reason for the sanctity of not retracting one's foreskin?

I am cut, but I would not want drops of urine on my skin after peeing. I always blot with paper (use the stalls, always) before I put my dick back in my pants. So why would any guy want urine on/in/under their foreskin?
They don’t. Not everybody gets trapped piss if you don’t retract, and growing up you wouldn’t be able to retract under normal circumstance.

Reactions: gymfresh

soundsgreat87

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You wouldn't be able to? OK. I guess I don't understand anatomy. Unless you have phimosis, why would this be?

The foreskin starts fused to the glans at birth. How long it takes for it to separate varies from guy to guy, but it's possible for it to last until puberty.

Reactions: DildoShwaggins

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Remember that both the inner foreskin and the glans are moist mucous membranes surfaces. They tack together. That means that urine doesn’t get “trapped” or retained between them. The most you’ll have after peeing with your foreskin forward is a drop or two of urine by your frenulum, easily dabbed or automatically so by your underwear.

Pulling back your foreskin to expose your glans to fresh air feels like brushing your teeth with your tongue stuck out of your mouth. I’m sure that for some guys retraction doesn’t feel like anything, but since the glans is largely internal and stays moist, retraction feels a bit creepy and unnatural to some guys, unless they’re having sex.

Acratopotes

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In my case the foreskin is of a length that means it cam partially, but not fully, cover the hole in the end of the glans and, if I leave it like that, aim is a bit random. So I do pull it back a bit, but only enough that the hole is fully exposed. I don't try to expose the rest of of the glans.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You wouldn't be able to? OK. I guess I don't understand anatomy. Unless you have phimosis, why would this be?

Every boy has physiological phimosis. It’s the natural and desired state. As soundsgreat87 says, our penises were designed for the foreskin and glans to gradually separate into discrete structures leading up to sexual maturity. Little boys pee through their overhang; it’s designed for this.

Pathological phimosis is something that occurs post-puberty in a small percentage of guys. It may be temporary or something that requires intervention if it causes problems. (Some guys like being phimosed and don’t want it changed.) It’s usually the result of scar tissue due to improper care. Every case of phimosis is avoidable, if desired. Note than many instances of what guys call phimosis is, in fact, frenulum breve. What’s hindering their retraction is not the size of the preputial opening.

Acratopotes

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Every boy has physiological phimosis. It’s the natural and desired state. As soundsgreat87 says, our penises were designed for the foreskin and glans to gradually separate into discrete structures leading up to sexual maturity. Little boys pee through their overhang; it’s designed for this.

That's interesting. I knew about this stage of development but I have never heard it called phimosis before. I looked up the definition and it is within scope, it's just that most article about phimosis are discussing pathological phimosis.

...(Some guys like being phimosed and don’t want it changed.)

I had never heard of people liking it, though I did read within interest that the UK NHS says it does not need to be treated unless causing repeated bouts of balanitis. It's certainly possible to masturbate and have sex wearing a condom while having phimosis but I would have though most guys would prefer to have it treated if they ever get to the point of having bare sex.

S

SirConcis

If you exclude the anti circer rethoric:

Most boys have retractable foreskin by age 3. Some take longer. Some will be able to retract when soft but not when hard until much later later. Once adhesions break down over a portion of glans, smegma, urine awill accumulate and if not rinsed daily increase odds of infections.

So it is important for parents to getly pull back skin as far as it can easily move to rinse the portion of glans that can be easily exposed. Gradually more and more of glans gets exposed and is rinsed out.

Just because some boys take longer to have retractable foreskin doesn't mean that shose who can retract early should not retract. It is like saying that because some men don't nee dto shave till theyr are 25 that no man should shave before he is 25.

The "do not retract" anti circer propaganda started to counter the pro-circ "easier to clean" arguments, so by promkopting "does not need to be retracted", then the uncut model was just as easy to keep clean. Only probelm is that it increases visits to doctor duie to infections. And gently pulling back skin is a no brainer that really doesn,t take more than an extra second or tow for a parent during daily bath of their son.

Just because a medical phimosis requiring circumcision shouldn't be declared until much later doesn't kmean that one shoudln't retract foreisin as soon as it is partly retractable.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Most boys absolutely cannot retract by age 3. That’s a fantasy by circumcision fans, based on a really bad misreading of work by Jakob Øster 70 years ago and popularized by the US medical profession. It has led to hundreds of thousands of unnecessary circumcisions of perfectly healthy boys because they “couldn’t retract” by some arbitrary timetable based on incorrect data. The median age for full reaction, including at the corona, is 10.4 years, but anywhere from 3 to 18 is normal. Retraction is something completely unnecessary until puberty/sexual maturity. Boys who have their foreskins retracted by parents, doctors or caregivers “for cleaning” have many times more infections than those who don’t. Europeans have far less penis problems than North Americans do, at every age level.

Foreskin isn’t inherently problem-prone, and circumcision isn’t inherently healthier. The less parents mess with their sons’ foreskins, the better. That includes the ridiculous idea of instructing a young boy to retract his foreskin to urinate.

S

SirConcis

Every boy has physiological phimosis.

I know this is pedantic, but important: NOT every baby is born with phimosis or adhesions. For many, adhesions are not actually fused at time of birth. (this is one reason it is easier to do a circ at birth since the adhesions are more like skin attaches by riobber cement ratheer than krazy glew).

And the vast majority of boys have fully retractible foreskins with adhesiosn gone by age 3. Just because some take much longer doesn't mean you can say guys don't have retractibe foreskins till puberty.

Also, it is important to note that there are 2 stages: retractible whyen soft and retractoibel once hard. Of guys whose phimosis will go away and not require intervention, they are retractoble soft during boyhood, and it dilates enough for erection retraction in early puberty. But still unretratib;e when soft into puberty, chances are it will stay that way.

One reason for this is that if buy learns to masturbate with unretractibe foreskin, his technique will always to pull foreskin up and never down (since that uhurts) and this his masturbation will not loosen foreskin adn will in fact stretch it lenghwise.

Once a guy learns to masturbate by retracting skin pulling it down, it gets its daily exercise to stretch and easily adapts to the growing glans during puberty.

Bull9in

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Not pedantic at all. Information is key to our understanding of the world...the more the better. What you impart here is valuable. It also points to the indication of retracting so that intact boys can remain so if they wish to without potential problems. That could be important for parents to consider.

Green-monkey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now that I'm cut, this of course does not matter, but I retracted what I could easily reach before the circ, which was halfway up the glans. Well, the point is the same as what many here had said, which is to provide a clear stream. I'm guessing most guys who have a rather tight and long overhang would want to steer well clear of any potential balanoposthitis infections, they are really just an unnecessary event to go through.

After lurking on online forums for years prior to my own circ, I’m also inclined towards thinking that the vast majority of boys have what is known as physiological phimosis. It is mostly how the boy’s foreskin is managed in the childhood and even teenage years that determines whether it will eventually be considered retractable by normal standards, which I guess refers to a full retraction even when erected.

Perhaps the point is moot for adult “sufferers” of phimosis, whether physiological or otherwise. I mean, one sees friends who were retractile as youths or even as kids, and other friends who were at various stages of retraction during those stages of life...

But a key consideration that many phimotic adult has for himself is the threshold for tolerance of putting up with sex that is more uncomfortable or even painful than is necessary, going through numerous bouts of unnecessary infections, and at what cost. Is it going to be a lack of sensitivity of the glans later in life? How much lesser anyway? Will the glans dry out and keratinise? How bad will it be? I guess its about taking a punt after weighing around, much like other things in life.

MrMartini

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Thanks to everybody for their posts. This is very informative. I guess that since I've always lived in the bubble of circumcision I had no idea about most of these physiological matters. As I posted on other occasions my only experience involved a college roommate who was having infection issues and got circumcised over Christmas break. (Hell of a Christmas present, eh?) He was very happy with the results. Anyway, I'm neither pro or anti but certainly do appreciate the variety of opinions and information.

soundsgreat87

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
After lurking on online forums for years prior to my own circ, I’m also inclined towards thinking that the vast majority of boys have what is known as physiological phimosis. It is mostly how the boy’s foreskin is managed in the childhood and even teenage years that determines whether it will eventually be considered retractable by normal standards, which I guess refers to a full retraction even when erected.

I don't think it's "a vast majority," but it may be sampling bias, since you also live in a country with a history of mass circumcision (and you probably talked to a lot of other guys who had the same problems you did).

It does agree with what I've noticed in my own chats with other uncut Americans: most guys I've talked to who have phimosis as adults were never really taught about their foreskins as kids. Americans really really suck at teaching about sex. A lot of people grow up not really knowing anything about their bodies. And a lot of uncut guys grow up not knowing that it's supposed to roll back.

When I see nudes from guys in Europe, I raaaaaarely see phimosis. It happens, but not nearly to the extent that I see with American guys.

Green-monkey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most boys absolutely cannot retract by age 3. That’s a fantasy by circumcision fans, based on a really bad misreading of work by Jakob Øster 70 years ago and popularized by the US medical profession. It has led to hundreds of thousands of unnecessary circumcisions of perfectly healthy boys because they “couldn’t retract” by some arbitrary timetable based on incorrect data. The median age for full reaction, including at the corona, is 10.4 years, but anywhere from 3 to 18 is normal.

I must have been subconsciously quoting Gymfresh when he mentioned that most boys at 3 cannot retract. I would think that this is largely true even at age 5, nationalities notwithstanding, though I’m certain there are kids out there with fully retractable foreskin in any country.

It does seem that some of us here came to our own realisation separately, that much is about how kids are to be taught with regards to their foreskin, if only to avoid “physiological phimosis” later in life.

There will of course be a large proportion of guys whose foreskin did not need any manipulation or intervention as kids, and did retract nicely on its own in due time. But I have seen and heard for myself (anecdotally though) enough cases to know that this may not be a universal thing. And, youths with tight foreskins may not exactly be rare occurences.

S

SirConcis

Most boys absolutely cannot retract by age 3.

If you read non US books on urology, you will find that "most boys can retract by age 3" is correct. When discussing foreskins, one should always avoid any US based documents because if old enough, are from pro-circ era, and if too recent, are written by anti circer activists.

You are affraid that if one accepts that most can retract by 3, that any boy who can't by 3 will be circumcised. This is a false argument. Say you set 18 as the arbritrary age where a non retractible foreskin becomes diagnosed as a true phimosis. This does not change from thet fact that many boys will have retractive foreskins well before that, and that as soon as part of the glans can be exposed, that part needs to be rinsed every day to preent infections, and strecth foreksin to prevent acquired phimosis. And as things progress, more and more of glans can easily be exposed and runsed every day.

Note that in France and Québec in the 1960s and 1970s, the age of 10 was common to diagnoze phimosis and prescribe circumcision. (it is one reason that in Québec, long foresins were rare for teen and adults since lopng foreisins had greater odds of not being retractible by 10).

One can argue about what age a phimosis can be diagnozed. Whether 10, 16, 18 or 25 doesn't change the fact that most males will have retractive foreskins well before that and that cleaning ritiual needs to start very early to expose whatever portion of glans can easily be exposed to rinse it.

The "do not retract" anti circ propaganda is a recipe to not oncluy increase infection rates, but also help convert normal congenital phimopsis into permanent phimosis which means by adulthood, the guy still has long unretractable foreskin. As long as your foreksion cannot retract during erection, it will grow legthwise and not need to retract during erection instead of being stretched diametre-wise to eventually become retractive.

I don't think it's "a vast majority," but it may be sampling bias, since you also live in a country with a history of mass circumcision (and you probably talked to a lot of other guys who had the same problems you did).

It does agree with what I've noticed in my own chats with other uncut Americans: most guys I've talked to who have phimosis as adults were never really taught about their foreskins as kids. Americans really really suck at teaching about sex. A lot of people grow up not really knowing anything about their bodies. And a lot of uncut guys grow up not knowing that it's supposed to roll back.

When I see nudes from guys in Europe, I raaaaaarely see phimosis. It happens, but not nearly to the extent that I see with American guys.
Easier to cut it off than have to explain it. That’s the US. Backward and sexually closeted.

Reactions: Gasping305