Question for white people of LPSG.

SouthernGirl

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do white men not drive classic cars?
Why is it that when your daddy gets to old to drive you let an 82 caddy sit in the garage and collect dust for 20 years, then when he dies you sell it for 3k.......and it only has 80k miles on it. Why do y'all do this? This is a constant occurance in the south.

I mean, I don't care, because I'm driving the car, lol. It looks BRAND new. People can't believe how CLEAN this car is.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
So when you say white people you mean white men... white men whose fathers are of a certain age or dead... white men whose fathers are of a certain age or dead and owned a certain type of car... white men whose fathers are of a certain age or dead and owned a certain type of car and live in the southern states of the USA.

So, a rather small minority of white people then, eh?

seffnerman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
well i'm in fl and i know a lot of my friends didn't think it was cool to be seen in a older car even if it looked new and had low mileage on it i look at well its a ride better then the bus haha

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I didn't think any car made in the 80's could be deemed "Classic". Well maybe the Delorean but even that is merely for the curiosity factor.

Remington

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Odd question....

But at the car shows I attend, plenty of "white guys" drive older cars. Ranging anywhere from the 80's cars like the Grand Nationals, IROC-Z, Cadillacs, and such. To cars from the 50's and 60's, and some very rare cars from the 30's....

fun21

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whoa, I'm a white person, may be this applies to me! (raised eyebrow)

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
white woman. 3 vehicles.

1968 Mercury Cougar - Delilah

1968 Chevy Malibu - Matilda

1981 Ford 150 - Mable

everyone of them resurrected with much work, heaps of sweating and hours spent wrenching.

i lurve my babies. *pets chrome*

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
white woman. 3 vehicles.

1968 Mercury Cougar.

1968 Chevy Malibu

1981 Ford 150

everyone of him resurrected with much work, heaps of sweating and hours spent wrenching.

i lurve my babies. *pets chrome*
Me too back in the day I had ~
'58 Chevy Apache Pickup-my all time fav.
'60 Chevy shortbed fleetside pickup
'67 Plymouth Cuda
'68 Pontiac Firebird
'72 MG Midget....

Ah....those were the days~

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
White guy here:

I first car I ever bought was a seven-year old Buick in 1998 with low mileage because, at the age of 38, I decided it was time to get one (a car, that is). Turns out that the electronic odometer had "issues", like the rest of that piece of shit. It sat largely unused from 2001 until I finally sold it to a teenager's mother (for the kid) in 2003. She got a good deal, I got cash for that genuine clunker.

In 2003, I moved from CT to FL, and bought a brand-new Mini Cooper, which I totally loved, though it, too, had some bugs that were never really resolved by BMW service. Two years later, I was laid off and had to decide whether that car was really worth more than my rent. Though living in FtL without a car can be challenging at times, I made the logical choice and turned the car back in, my credit score notwithstanding.

TBH, as much as I enjoyed driving the Mini, I loathe driving in general. And cars are a dirty, expensive responsibility that I really don't need (nor easily afford) in my life right now.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Do white men not drive classic cars?
Why is it that when your daddy gets to old to drive you let an 82 caddy sit in the garage and collect dust for 20 years, then when he dies you sell it for 3k.......and it only has 80k miles on it. Why do y'all do this? This is a constant occurance in the south.

I mean, I don't care, because I'm driving the car, lol. It looks BRAND new. People can't believe how CLEAN this car is.

If you don't care, why are you asking the question? :confused:

IMO, cars are generally a waste of money. They're a necessity, sure, but not one to spend more on than absolutely necessary.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I didn't think any car made in the 80's could be deemed "Classic". Well maybe the Delorean but even that is merely for the curiosity factor.

Ugh...those cars were such crap. Delorean couldn't even keep them together.

I wouldn't limit this to white men.

White Women do this too.
And so do many other nationalities and creed. It's not a white thing - it's a generational thing of a throw away society. It's not "New and shiny" so they toss it to the curb.

Shame, real shame.

Glad you got it, and are appreciating a piece of automotive history.
I hope you keep it spotless for many more years to come.

82 Cadillac. LOL.

now do you understand?

Yea...not exactly a performance machine, but it's still an 82.

Now...if she puts 24" rims, crushed velvet and chico-balls in the windshield, we'll have to take the car away from her.

Last edited: