Question (Kinda long)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
We were having this discussion on alt.native about The Business of Fancydancing. For those who haven't seen the movie, it was written, directed, and produced by Sherman Alexie, and in it, Sherman Polatkin is a poet who, well, 60% of the rez thinks he's a jerk, 30% think he's an 455hole, and 10% are undecided.

If that's not all, his partner (Note the gender-neutral language.) insists that he should assimilate more.

I thought it was Sherman's own story. He's had trouble with assimilation. He transferred off the rez after seeing his father's name in his textbook, his wife's white, and so on. (Not to mention that he named Sherman after himself: The first sign of self-insertion.) I also thought Sherman was bisexual, b/c in his last short story collection, one of his stories has explicit gay sex in it, and another has him calling Jesus gay. (He also has a wife and two sons, hence the "bi" label.)

So, this brings up my question: How many str8 guys here have written gay erotica? Or, to the gay guys here, how much gay erotica have you read by str8 guys?

bradleeM: Hey Jon
Thanks for mentioning Sherman......I saw his movie "Smoke Signals" with Adam Beach, who happens to be one of my favorite actors. I saw him recently in the Code breaker movie about WWII and the Navajo contribution to the war effort. Where can I find Sherman's writings? Did not know about this recent movie, would like to know more!!!!!

In answer to your question I am not sure if I have. I have the Front Runner by a str8 woman, a great story but hollywood will not produce it due to its gay theme. One of best of gay erotica I have ever read. Other gay themed books I have read by male writerd I was not sure if they were gay or str8 or bi. I believe most people say they are one or the other because of their perception of the terms and the degree to which they may be pejorative in nature by our society. The last time I was out west I had an affair with an Apache Indian in southern Utah and Northern Arizona. Fantastic fun we had. I will be heading out west in a month so I will have to see how things turn out this time. Again thanks for mentioning S A and his current happenings. Its a great reminder.
Brad

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
You can find Sherman's writings on most rez bookstores. Or on Amazon or Barnesandnoble.com. His fiction includes:

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven - a collection of related short stories.

Reservation Blues - A kinda weird story. Jimmy gets a guitar, and he and his band eventually are ready to go national, but it requires a Faustian deal of sorts.

Indian Killer - A story of an Indian man adopted by a white couple. He becomes a serial killer, and a conservative spin doctor a la Rush Limbaugh uses his story to destabilize Seattle race relations.

The Toughest Indian in the World - Another short-story series. Romance, some erotica, and even one Handmaid's Tale-style nightmare called The Sin Eaters.

He also writes a lot of poetry.

bradleeM: Thanks Pecker

Thanks JonB

I really appreciate the update. I had purchased the book previously that Smoke Signals was developed from (very surprised that it was a short story). I really loved the story and hated to see the movie end. I wanted to see Adam's character end up getting his life together and being successful. Sometimes I am not very realistic in my hopes for people!! :) My eyes became very wide open when I met the Apache youth at Lake Powell. The unemployment among the Indians is very upsetting to me. I gave him some ideas to get his life on track but I have not heard from him recently. Hope he okay. Thanks again for the site I have saved to my favorites.
Brad

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't think of any straight men who write such gay erotica, but Ann Rice, who has much male-male sex in her novels, has also written rather explicit male-male erotica under the pseudonym A. N. Roquelaure.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, most NDN writers go into several genres.

Victor and Jimmy are back in Reservation Blues, along with a third character, Junior. It has some funny scenes, like when they meet two groupies named Betty and Veronica.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I'm an Independent Film nut, and the movies you've been discussing here are some of the best in my vast VHS library (over 800 films).

All these actors are great but I think my favorite is Gary Farmer. One of my friends dismisses him as a 'Step n' Fetchit' but I admire his quirky demeanor as brilliant.

Pecker

bradleeM: Thanks Jonb

I will be looking at his site tonite and see how I may get copies. Reservations sounds pretty good.
That is interesting that you mentioned that indian authors write in many different areas. Due to my own naivete I never would have thought about the gay angle at all. For whatever reason I have never thought that Indians were gay until I met Leonard. Then my eyes were opened as well as other areas when he told me about his own experiences with older Indians who had initiated him. One other thing that was interesting was that he and his friends and contacts were all cut. I have always wondered whether Adam Beach was cut or uncut. Due to growing up in the midwest is the reason I have never considered indians being gay since I had not met any full-blood indians before then.

Just as personal contacts change us all, the internet will eventually change the way people think and behave.

Brad

bradleeM: He is a superb actor!! He deserved a lot of recognition for his role in Smoke Signals. I agree that he is one fine actor. I hope he continues to work in a variety of films.

As far as I am concerned Hollywood is the biggest racist entity on the planet. They generally espouse diversity but actually living it is another matter, they remind me of political liberals, they say one thing and do another, and hope no one sees them for what they are. They could make a lot of change in society by living what they preach, but it is still the white girl and boy that are given the choice roles regardless of the topic. It is ok for the white guy to sleep with the black woman, but not the other way around. Ethnics and conservatives continue to be stereotyped . This is a dis-service to all of us. Luckily tho society tries to move ahead anyway and eventually organizations like Hollywood catch up.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Was this a Mormon Indian? LOL Every NDN man I've seen was uncut. NDN parents generally won't even allow for sex reassignment, which is basically female circumcision when you think about it. Also, there's a taboo against appropriating another culture's beliefs, both to maintain our culture's integrity and the other culture's too. However, I HAVE heard rumors of an IHS division where the doctors did circumcision anyway.

I don't know about "initiation". You'll have to explain that to me.  I DO know, however, that many, but not most, NDN nations had three or more genders.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
jonb -

To Mormons, circumcision is considered a part of the old (Mosaic) covenant that is not encouraged, but neither is it forbidden.

Pecker

bradleeM: JonB,
Leonard's brother in law who had over 9 inches of cut cock, he was apache also, would have Leonard suck his cock when his sister wasn't putting out. Before that leonard had not had any experiences. he was only 5 inches hard, so I think it was the fact that the other guy had such a huge penis in Leonard' mind that it was a turn on for him. Leonard was versatile and like to be top guy too. As far as beliefs he still observed fully all indian rituals. He still lived on the res in both arizona and utah when not working and traveling.

I always understood the mormons to circumcise. I heard the Osmonds are circumcised.

Brad

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, bilbobagginsx, I was referring more to their "Lost Tribes" mythology.

Thanx for the explanation; if you mentioned "initiations" involving sex between men and boys, I would've been largely offended. We had to kick a pedophile out of a powwow recently. My response: "This isn't Thailand." It's one of the few sexual things that Indians don't tolerate.