Question to Londoners

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Recently there has been talk of congestion pricing for motor vehicles coming into Manhattan (I think below 86th st.)

For those familiar with this program in London how is this tax/fee charged and collected. And how much is it?

2. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Via an extremely sophisitcated network of spy cameras that can identify vehicles by their plates. I hope you're ready with your communist comments!

London congestion charge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's £8, (the bad side of $16!)

It's also very fiddly as it's a pre-pay system so you better have a good reason to enter the city, also, in London, it does not stop people who couldn't care less and have the money just busting around in sports vehicles anyway. :)

3. RPM

RPM New Member

Boston, Kuala Lumpur, Stratford-Upon-Avon

Easier for you to read about it here.

London congestion charge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just think of it as a massive toll system and you aren't too far away from the truth.

4. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Those spy cameras are also watching for potential terrorists. And they're also watching you, orcabomber. :smile:

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Thanks for your answers.
    Wow, I hope it doesn't happen in Manhattan. I don't drive into Manhattan during rush hour anyway, but If I ever had to I'd hate to pay an extra $8.

Bloomberg the Billionaire Mayor of NYC was thinking of converting one of the 3 tunnels in the Linclon tunnel into a rich mans lane. Where you would pay an extra $35 to be able to bypass traffic (untill you get to the gridlock in NYC)

I hear there is a product that you can spray on your licence plate that makes it invisible (creating a glare) to cameras. Sound like a good investment.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Really? What a crock.

It reminds me of those "Platinum Mileage Plan Members Only" express security gates at airport terminals. Such exclusive gates imply wealthy fliers are so important they can't mix with the riff raff even briefly in the regular security check line.

7. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Erm, what terrorists? I wasn't around when Communists were going to DESTROY THE WORLD!!!!!!

But the Communist threat seems to rank higher than the chance that Bin Laden gains the One Ring of Power, rebuilds the tower of Barud-Dur, sends the Nine Nazgul from Minas Morgul as a vanguard for the multi-billion Orc army towards the fortress-city of Washington!

Draft saved Draft deleted