Questions about the UK

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by majormadness, Jul 25, 2006.

1. majormadness

majormadness New Member

Ok, I figured I'd ask this in the etc. section because I've been wondering the mechanics of this for a while. How exactly does the United Kingdom work? Or more specifically:

- I know that the UK is a political entity, but is it an actual country?

- If so, what does that make England, Scotland, Whales, and North Ireland? Are they the equivalents of states?

- Also, if the queen had any power, would she run the whole shabang or just England.

- Is Tony Blair the prime minister of all of the UK or just England?

- If he only runs England, then who runs Scotland, North Ireland, and Whales?

Also, if there's anything else interesting about the UK government that is pretty radically different from American government, I'd love to hear it. I guess I'm just a curious fellow :biggrin1:

2. dreamer20

Gold Member

No. Whales are mammals that live in the sea.

In the patriarchal system a good Queen is expected to marry and produce heirs to the throne. The power is meant for a King and parliament too I suppose.

You just love sea creatures, don't you?

You are curious indeed.:rolleyes:

3. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    The U.K. government requires motorists to drive on the wrong side of the road. :eek:

4. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

England Scotland and Wales are countries with borders (but no immigration or passport control) and constitute Great Britain. Scotland and Wales do have their own elected assemblies and parliaments with limited legislative powers. Throw in Northern Ireland and you have the United Kingdom. The UK is a political entity with a Parliament in London - some say the mother of all parliaments.

We have an Upper House, the House of Lords, which now acts as a buffer to Parliament creating knee jerk laws. The Upper house is by appointment and heridity, both of which cause arguments, though their record for being sensible is actually quite good.

The Lower House is elected and Tony Blair is currently Prime Minister as he is head of our Labour Party (remarkably supposed to be like your Democrat Party) and has been in power since 1997. We have elections every 4 to 5 years.

We also elect members of the European Parliament based in Brussels.

The British Isles is a Geographic entity and includes all Ireland.

I hope I got this right as I live here.

I am sure you will find much more on wikipaedia.

Edit - yes Queen Elizabeth II is our head of state and the church of England - yes we get to have our own church. She has no legislative power, but our armed forces and police swear their allegiance to her. She has a great deal of personal authority because she is a cool lady who has done a great job for fifty + years.

5. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

6. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Headline from the Times: - Fog in Channel, Europe cut off.

We are generally barking mad.

7. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:

lol...why did you choose this forum to ask about this stuff? Surely a history book could be of more use?

Cuz knowledge is power!

8. jeremyA

jeremyA New Member

Albums:
    Actualy the queen does have quite a lot of power under whats called Royal prerogative, she has the power to do the following:-

9. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I think it would be fairer to say that these are nominal powers. In effect she would not instigate any of these, rather she would be the signatory to Parliament's decision. But yes, she does retain quite a number of powers.

10. dong20

Gold Member

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a country and Sovereign State. Politically Great Britain comprises England, Scotland and Wales:tongue: . It is a Constitutional Monarchy and its Government is a Parliamentary Democracy. There is no written constitution.

The UK also includes several overseas territories such a Gibraltar, Falkland Islands, Cyprus, British Antarctic Territory etc. The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are Crown dependencies. Although they are part of the British Isles and under Sovereignty of the Crown they are not part of the UK nor the EU. They are possessions of the Crown and form a federacy with UK. They are also known as Bailliwicks.

Scotland (since 1707), Northern Ireland (since 1920) and Wales are not strictly countries as such but geographical entities with a degree of autonomy and each has its own assembly, the Northern Ireland assembly is currently suspended. They are governed in terms of Foreign and Defence policies for example from Westminster. They are not Sovereign States in their own right. Calling them states (in the US sense) would be a simplified but not entirely inaccurate analogy.

Constitutionally, the Monarch has considerable powers over the Entire UK and all its dependencies, but these are effectively delegated to Parliament. In many matters Royal Prerogative is retained where not constrained by legislation. The Monarch has for example the power to dissolve (or refuse to dissolve) parliament, including those where the Monarch is head of state such as Australia through the office of Governor General, this has happened. The Monarch is also head of the Commonwealth and the Church of England.

Mr Blair is Prime Minister (Sadly) for Great Britain and Northern Ireland only. The Office of Prime Minister has full power to exercise Royal Prerogative on behalf of the Crown, and Blair could, for example have gone to war in Iraq without the consent of Parliament or against its wishes if he had wanted. In strict terms the office of the Prime Minister has greater power than the office of US President but it is seldom exercised to the full.

There is loads of weird stuff about the UK government, as to whether it’s interesting is rather subjective…..such as, under Royal Prerogative the Monarch owns all Whales (the aquatic kind) in UK territorial waters along with Dolphins, Swans etc.:smile:

Royal Prerogative
    UK Parliament Website
    UK Monarchy Website

11. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Well, I like to think of us as countries that make up a kingdom. I may be technically wrong but it makes me happy. :smile:

12. dong20

Gold Member

On an everyday basis there is no harm in a little happiness.

13. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Lordpendragon.

I have a running discussion with several friends who say England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland (Northern and Southern) are not technically Europe. However, I've heard many Englishmen say the UK is part of Europe.

What say you? Alex you may have the answer too...

(Perhaps it's a bit like the argument where residents of New York State say that their state is part of New England. It's not.)

14. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Methinks I sense a political point of view here :33: :biggrin1:

15. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    i like how the brits actually seem to believe that they govern northern ireland :rolleyes:

16. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

We can not deny it - Europe is now part of the British continental plate.

I am not sure that you should use the words Ireland/Irish in the same sentence as govern/government. It's why I like the Irish so much.

17. dong20

Gold Member

The UK (GB & NI) is part of Europe. It is so geographically (it's on the Eurasian tectonic plate) and, as part of the EU it is politically. Hence as parts of the UK (GB & NI); NI, Scotland, Wales and England are also.

Well, that is they are so in their own right geographically but not politically:smile: . They are not members of the EU in their own right, because they are not sovereign states in their own right (with the exception of England).

The Republic of Ireland (no such thing as Southern Ireland in that sense) is a nation and member of the EU in its own right.

18. dong20

Gold Member

We do, we just have no real control over it. Independence I say.

19. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I first viewed the title of this thread I thought, "Interesting, Maybe some will be able to let us all know why so many in the UK have membership in this Group. It seems that almost every other new member in the Large Penis Support Group has a UK address.

Is it the water or what. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. An interesting topic to be sure.

Or, is their more freedom in the UK to discuss the "Large Penis" so therefore there are more males scrolling the Internet to join this Support Group.

I recall several years ago reading about a firm in the UK that manufactured custom fitted jocks. I believe I read the article in "Men's Journal" published here in the colonies.

Can anyone shed any light on this interesting subject. I await answers.

20. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Can I refer the honourable colonial gentleman to my previous reply - "generally we are barking mad". Reading this site over the years, there is clear evidence of a correlation between mental illness and penis size.

Draft saved Draft deleted