Questions about the UK

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
hung said:
When I first viewed the title of this thread I thought, "Interesting, Maybe some will be able to let us all know why so many in the UK have membership in this Group. It seems that almost every other new member in the Large Penis Support Group has a UK address.

Is it the water or what. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. An interesting topic to be sure.

Can anyone shed any light on this interesting subject. I await answers.

Having a large representation from the UK shouldn't be too much of a surprise based on a common language and Internet access. The WWW consists of sites that are primarily English (until the number of Chinese websites surpasses English ones in the near future). As well, England probably ranks fairly high in the percentage of the population with access to broadband. So, both by a shared language and a high percentage of the population with decent access to the Internet, one would expect the English to heavily access the board.

I think what culturally drew the English to the attention of this site, though, was a UK channel 4 TV documentary on large cocks that originally aired back in March or April 2006. The three-part documentary featured a few well-endowed individuals who access or belong to this site. That drew several Brits to the board for several weeks thereafter.

Click for reference about the UK Channel 4 documentary.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
senor rubirosa said:
Didn't Cyprus get independence in 1960?
The UK retains some sovereign military bases only.

Yes, you're right I should have been more specific.... Cyprus gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1960, with the UK, Greece and Turkey retaining limited rights to intervene in her internal affairs. UK is a guarantor (along with Turkey and Greece) of the 1960 treaty of Guarantee:

"The guarantor powers promised not to seek annexation or partition of Cyprus, and to assist their communities on Cyprus in the event of major clashes between the Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots...."

The full list of UK current overseas territories is (according to the FCO):

Anguilla, British Antarctic Territory, Bermuda, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, St Helena and Dependencies (Ascension Island and Tristan da Cunha), Turk and Caicos Islands, Pitcairn Island, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands, Sovereign Base Areas on Cyprus - (Akrotiri and Dhekelia and the exclaves of Xylotymvou and Ormidhia)

I think the sandwich islands sound especially 'British'. :smile:

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
*Waves the real red white and blue flag, with non of that namby pamby stars crap!* :p

Sadly, this kind of information is rarely taught at schools and is left as a given. Also, the names "UK, Britain, England" are NOT interchangable!

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hung said:
When I first viewed the title of this thread I thought, "Interesting, Maybe some will be able to let us all know why so many in the UK have membership in this Group. It seems that almost every other new member in the Large Penis Support Group has a UK address.

Is it the water or what. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. An interesting topic to be sure.

Or, is their more freedom in the UK to discuss the "Large Penis" so therefore there are more males scrolling the Internet to join this Support Group.

I recall several years ago reading about a firm in the UK that manufactured custom fitted jocks. I believe I read the article in "Men's Journal" published here in the colonies.

Can anyone shed any light on this interesting subject. I await answers.

Silly.

It's a simple matter of the English being brighter generally than the rest of us and goodness knows were a bunch of "smarties".:cool:
dong20 said:
The Republic of Ireland (no such thing as Southern Ireland in that sense) is a nation and member of the EU in its own right.

AH! You fiend you caught me in my political correctness. I was struggling with just how to properly distinguish the North of Ireland from the South.

And thanks for straightening me away re the European assignment.

** I fear we're headed for a policitical debate over the struggles in the North of Ireland.:redface: Goodness knows I have a point of view but I'm much more interested in hearing a legitimate one from those whose experience with it is far closer than one of us "Colonists".

No need to visit Dublin to see the Irish. Simply come to Boston. There are more people of Irish descent here than there.. however comparatively one hundred and seventy years has not appeared to make them very recognizable to their cousins in the land of their ancestors. (This I have on good authority)

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why do the Irish do that dance with their hands held tight against their thighs?

Disarmament.

We're not going to have an argument about Northern Ireland, because we all love each other now.

Stop shit stirring Stronzo.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lordpendragon said:
Why do the Irish do that dance with their hands held tight against their thighs?

Disarmament.

We're not going to have an argument about Northern Ireland, because we all love each other now.

Stop shit stirring Stronzo.

I'm not love. I think it's a legitimate discussion and if you read just up there ^ a bit you'll see the stirring was initiated by our resident physician.:wink:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
AH! You fiend you caught me in my political correctness. I was struggling with just how to properly distinguish the North of Ireland from the South.

And thanks for straightening me away re the European assignment.

No worries and it is a technically valid definition just a rarely used one (or at least I rarely here it) for the Republic. It reminds me of a short conversation about South America, I was talking about Bolivia, they were thinking about Texas/Louisiana etc....I was wondering why they looked puzzled when I mentioned the Altiplano!!:cool:

Stronzo said:
** I fear we're headed for a policitical debate over the struggles in the North of Ireland.:redface: Goodness knows I have a point of view but I'm much more interested in hearing a legitimate one from those whose experience with it is far closer than one of us "Colonists".

As you know it's been an increasingly entrenched position on both sides for the better part of 100 years; since the Government of Ireland Act of 1920 though this history goes way further back and Sinn Fein as a political entity dates from 1905 the term was in use a few years before that I think. I have never been to Northern Ireland (dunno why), though I have been to Dublin many years ago.

It's partly religious, partly political and almost entirely tedious and many or even most on the mainland only have a shallow grasp of it beyond the media. In general the Nationalists are painted as the villains but that is simply not the truth, or rather, not the whole truth.

The 1949 Ireland act guaranteed that NI would remain part of the UK unless voted otherwise by a majority of its residents. NI had limited self Government until 1972 when Britain re-imposed direct rule. A 1973 plebicite was overwhelmingly (almost 99%) in favour of remaining part of the UK, but only had about 56% turnout and the vote was (I believe?) largely boycotted by Nationalists. Since 1998 things have eased considerably, on and off; at least from my distant perspecive. Right now the NI assembly is still suspended.

Personally I think NI may be better 're-united' with the Republic. It makes sense geo-politically and almost certainly socially and economically, at least to me. I know Unionists or rather Loyalists (and it's important to distinguish) will now kick my ass.....:eek: But it's their choice not mine, so long as they stop blowing each other up and abusing each other for asinine reasons like religion what should I care.

Stronzo said:
No need to visit Dublin to see the Irish. Simply come to Boston. There are more people of Irish descent here than there.. however comparatively one hundred and seventy years has not appeared to make them very recognizeable to their cousins in the land of their ancestors. (This I have on good authority)

I had a good time in Boston, snowy and cold it was.....:smile:

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Until Mel Gibson makes a film about it, I don't know what to think.

I'm not sure there's much to discuss - it's just another case of my truth is the truth and your truth is a lie.

There's a United Ireland Rugby team which is far more important.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dong20 said:
Personally I think NI may be better 're-united' with the Republic. It makes sense geo-politically and almost certainly socially and economically, at least to me. I know Unionists or rather Loyalists (and it's important to distinguish) will now kick my ass.....:eek: But it's their choice not mine, so long as they stop blowing each other up and abusing each other for asinine reasons like religion what should I care.

Thanks for your take. It's a hot button topic among Bostonian Irish here who are often ill-informed/uninformed (in the opinion of the three fellows who've worked for me who are Dubliners by birth). I appreciate the short history lesson and your own perspecitive.

Do you feel you shit stirred by the by?:33: I thought not.

I had a good time in Boston, snowy and cold it was.....:smile:

Boston's the bomb. I love my city. But come in September. It's beyond beautiful and if you're a good Englishman I'll make you one of those clam boils I've raved about.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Stronzo said:
Boston's the bomb. I love my city. But come in September. It's beyond beautiful and if you're a good Englishman I'll make you one of those clam boils I've raved about.
If you also do bearded clams, I'd like to join you:biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
Do you feel you shit stirred by the by?:33: I thought not.

Not in the least, not any more anyway. I was only ever really indirectly affected and I am in no position to whine about that. Maybe that's just the passage of time.

Stronzo said:

Stranger things have happened...

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lordpendragon said:
I've heard they have crabs in Boston.

They do or rather I have.

dongalong said:
If you also do bearded clams, I'd like to join you:biggrin1:

I simply don't do beards anymore. The closest I'll get is the odd raw oyster. You'll need to import some French ones.

col

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
dong20 said:
I had pages of argument about this with solong....it was a concept he seemed unable to grasp.:smile:

Something I've never been able to grasp fully :redface: is what the difference is between someone calling themselves British and English? Is British the more insular term because it is separate from the Welsh, Scots and Irish and then you use English if you want to refer to the whole country?

LordPendragon said:
The Lower House is elected and Tony Blair is currently Prime Minister as he is head of our Labour Party (remarkably supposed to be like your Democrat Party) and has been in power since 1997. We have elections every 4 to 5 years.

I often wonder what people think of the Labour party in other countries! OK, Blair got on well with Clinton and everyone here seemed to be worried about a 'left wing' Prime Minister not getting on well with a Republican, but they needn't have worried! They got on better, if not more so, than with Clinton - perhaps because they had so much in common!

I guess the point to make to outside observers (and this is just from my own political knowledge, so make your own mind up!) is that Labour seemed unelectable until Blair turned the party round, threw out all the far left wingers, branded the party 'New Labour' and introduced lots of policies that made voting Labour attractive to Conservative voters. In effect Labour became more Conservative than the Conservatives had been, although most people seemed to think at the time that Labour was just occupying the 'middle ground'.

In that sense although there is talk now of abandoning the core values of Labour in fact the party had abandoned and disenfranchised its previous supporters in order to get the chance of getting to power in the first place - things have just moved further to the right, especially with this War on Terror or whatever they're calling it now, that the 'middle ground' voters or media types who write up the political articles are getting nervous.

By middle ground voters I mean the type of people who do not want to vote for a police state and bringing back capital punishment, but at the same time probably feel that treating people fairly if it affects them in a financial or time consuming way is also not what they want.

Labour provided that 'middle ground' perfectly when it came to power in 1997 to my mind because the Conservatives were losing respect and influence over these floating voters. When Margaret Thatcher left (or according to some sources was all but pushed out the door by the rest of her party) the strong controlling hand that had led the Conservative party, for good or ill, for such a long time was gone, leaving a power vacuum which couldn't be filled by people like John Major (It is telling that the policital satire show Spitting Image couldn't find anything to satirise about John Major except by painting his puppet grey!)

All the bickering and infighting, constant rotations of leadership etc left the field wide open for a strong leader. This gap had been there for years until Blair turned up and in 1992 it looked likely that Labour would win then, because Neil Kinnock then leader was seen to be a strong presence. Unfortunately strong leaders can alienate as well as gather support and Kinnock's speech before the election where he was seen to be grandstanding and seeing the result as a foregone conclusion (he excruciatingly tried to get his audience to cheer 'Well all right!' with him) led to the Conservatives getting another five years.

I agree with the maxim that its the party in power at the time that loses an election rather than a new political party winning an election. I think once in power you stay there for a very long time, whatever happens - people like to stick with what they know, so support slowly ebbs away until eventually it reaches a critical point where the opposition party has enough votes to take over - that's what happened to the Conservatives and is what is happening to Labour right now.

The Conservatives could have stopped Labour by putting up a half-decent leader of the party to combat Blair - it would have been a battle of personalities then rather than the half-hearted pathetic attempts to discredit Blair by putting up 'demon eyes' posters of him!

This is the background to Labour getting in in 1997 - what is really interesting to see is how history is beginning to repeat itself with the Labour party. The strong personality of Blair is being attacked by members of his party who are wanting change and opportunities to advance - soon he will go and there will be a power vacuum at the heart of Labour as there was with the Conservatives after Thatcher - for good and (most often!) ill Blair was the figurehead for all the policies of his government, and there will be a big backlash against anyone who replaces him when the next election comes round, especially if he isn't democratically voted in but just chosen internally by the Labour party (similar to John Major getting into power?)

This should leave the way open for the Conservatives to come back into power, after all Labour is slowly destroying itself as the Conservatives had done. I don't think at this point that it will happen, unless something really devastating happens to destroy Labour's credibility (like taking us into another World War in the Middle East perhaps?)

They haven't really caught onto how to do that because they haven't elected a leader yet who is willing to disenfranchise the right wing core support for the Conservatives in the same way that Blair was willing to use then discard the core left wing support for Labour. Previous leaders like William Hague (I've drawn a blank on the other names, but there have been three or four over the years Labour's been in power) always shot themselves in the foot by bringing the middle ground voters towards the Conservatives then shouting "Bloody immigrants! Bring back hanging! I hate Europe!" or words to that effect! So everyone who didn't care for Labour or the Conservatives but just wanted lower prices on petrol for their 4x4s went back to voting Labour, who didn't like immigrants either and were wanting to introduce compulsory ID cards but weren't as vocal about it - they just introduced changes once back in power!

The funniest thing I've ever seen in political debates was when Blair was justifying invading Iraq in 2003. You would expect a party in opposition to encourage debate about the legitimacy of this yet Labour headed by Blair had so overtaken the right-wing justification for war that all the Conservatives could do was say 'well if we were in power we'd have done that!' and they had to take the debate into petty areas such as whether the soldiers had been given the correct equipment to fight with, rather than whether they should be fighting and dying at all. The same thing, from what I saw, seemed to occur in the US in the last election where the only thing the Democrats ran on was that the 'War on Terror' was not being handled correctly, or that Bush wasn't a war hero, rather than the bigger issue on what the hell a 'War on Terror' was and whether Iraq could be justified in any way other than Bush getting revenge on his daddy's nemesis.

This new Conservative leader seems to be a start in disenfranchising the 'right wing' Conservatives because there was a lot of fuss from some Conservatives that David Cameron was too young, too trendy etc. Unfortunately he's very obvious in his bandwagon jumping to win support - Blair was able to hide his true intentions behind a mask of sincerity and idealism, while David Cameron does stupid things like riding a bicycle to his office to show the gathered photographers that he is tough on green issues, then gets scuppered when the reporters find out that he had his car following behind him with his work shoes in!

In the end politics is not about actually 'doing' anything, it's about looking as if you care about what the public think while being able to push them to one side to do whatever the hell you want.

This faux caring is probably what has contributed to our celebrity obsessed culture - and you couldn't get a more perfect figurehead for sincerity without caring, action without knowledge, than Princess Diana - or the "people's princess" as she was dubbed by Blair.

Gosh, I started off wanting to talk about the strange way Labour had become right wing and I've realised that left or right wing, votes are all that counts, politicians will do anything for them, especially in an age where there are no strongly held beliefs, you can flip-flop your policy at any time to keep in favour.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
col said:
Something I've never been able to grasp fully :redface: is what the difference is between someone calling themselves British and English? Is British the more insular term because it is separate from the Welsh, Scots and Irish and then you use English if you want to refer to the whole country?

Acutally as Orca said it's precisely the reverse. England is one of three 'nations' that comprise Britain, the others being Scotland and Wales. So one can be Scottish, Welsh or English yet still be British. British is more 'inclusive' but also therefore less precise. Many people of course are of mixed descent or immigrants so may tend to consider themselves British.....

I would say the Scots are by far the most 'independent' and with good cause and it's been my experience that few Scots think of themselves as anything than Scottish and the Welsh as Welsh. The people of Northern Ireland I'm not so sure about sorry. Probably pretty much split along sectarian lines but to me, they are Irish in all but nationality. There are some other historical 'divisions', most notably the Cornish.

It's mainly the English that have tended to call themselves British. There are several reasons for that, personal, historical and political. When I'm asked I consider myself English first and British second although the distinction is a little too subtle for many.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
col said:
I guess the point to make to outside observers (and this is just from my own political knowledge, so make your own mind up!) is that Labour seemed unelectable until Blair turned the party round, threw out all the far left wingers, branded the party 'New Labour' and introduced lots of policies that made voting Labour attractive to Conservative voters. In effect Labour became more Conservative than the Conservatives had been, although most people seemed to think at the time that Labour was just occupying the 'middle ground'.

To a degree you're right. Certainly Labour under Kinnock was moving to the centre, to the chagrin of the 'looney left' and Unions. Kinnock was arguably ahead of his time and Blair picked up where he left off. The growing disenchantment with Thatcher and then Major; partly policies, but the Tories had been in power too long and had entirely lost direction and credibility, being lying scumbags was also a factor in their well deserved ousting. The 'New Labour' party was certainly more centrist than the old, and this was key to their success in poaching moderate Tory voters and Lib Dem waverers as well as wooing those on the left of the 'old' Labour party.

col said:
In that sense although there is talk now of abandoning the core values of Labour in fact the party had abandoned and disenfranchised its previous supporters in order to get the chance of getting to power in the first place - things have just moved further to the right, especially with this War on Terror or whatever they're calling it now, that the 'middle ground' voters or media types who write up the political articles are getting nervous.

I agree, the whole country has shifted to the right over the last 5 years, but I'm unconvinced that a Tory government would be anything than an utter disaster. On the surface they have moved 'left' but there are clear undertones of the old xenophobia. We have been in the EU for decades, we're not going to leave so why they keep doing the Eurosceptic/quota malarky is beyond me. Only assholes would fall for it. I'm not in love with the EU as an institution but we're not big enough to stand alone.

col said:
By middle ground voters I mean the type of people who do not want to vote for a police state and bringing back capital punishment, but at the same time probably feel that treating people fairly if it affects them in a financial or time consuming way is also not what they want.

Very few want a return to capital punishment, when they really think about it. It's obscene and irreversible, no Government should have that right and it would be vote loser. Only extremists want a Police state but that doesn't seem to cut much ice with the current administration, who incidentally are also lying scumbags.

col said:
Labour provided that 'middle ground' perfectly when it came to power in 1997 to my mind because the Conservatives were losing respect and influence over these floating voters. When Margaret Thatcher left (or according to some sources was all but pushed out the door by the rest of her party) the strong controlling hand that had led the Conservative party, for good or ill, for such a long time was gone, leaving a power vacuum which couldn't be filled by people like John Major....

Oh she was pushed, kicking and screaming. Standing down and not forcing a second vote was one of the few honourable things she did, politically, in her later years as PM. Major was a non-entity. Had Heseltine or Kenneth Clarke been made Leader and hence PM I suspect Blair while a cert for election in '97 would not have had such a huge majority.

Again had Kenneth Clarke been party leader not Hague the '01 election may have been different, who can say for sure. The same again in 2005 with Michael Howard which was tantamount to having Dr. Faustus as a potential PM. Duncan Smith was comical as leader. Now they have elected that non entity Cameron, good old 'Dave'. The Tory party leadership truly has been the Labour party's most effective election weapon in the last few years.

col said:
....Neil Kinnock then leader was seen to be a strong presence. Unfortunately strong leaders can alienate as well as gather support....

As I said, I think kinnock was both ahead of his time, and perceived as a bit of a prat. Overall, he was more a victim of bad timing than anything else. The electorate, especially those further left were simply not ready to make that leap. Another two or three years as leader and Kinnock may well have been PM. Blair made it a certain Labour win. But given who he was running against and their standing I could have been PM.:rolleyes:

col said:
I agree with the maxim that its the party in power at the time that loses an election rather than a new political party winning an election. I think once in power you stay there for a very long time, whatever happens - people like to stick with what they know, so support slowly ebbs away until eventually it reaches a critical point where the opposition party has enough votes to take over - that's what happened to the Conservatives and is what is happening to Labour right now.

That was certainly not true in 1997 but close in 2001 and even closer in 2005 which was as much the result of our farce of an electoral system as much as a true Labour 'victory'. If Labour are to have any chance at wining in 2008 Blair needs to go now and Brown needs to take over. People feel a Libdem vote is a wasted vote so either don't vote for them or at all, or use them to vote tactically, which is awful.

col said:
The Conservatives could have stopped Labour by putting up a half-decent leader of the party to combat Blair - it would have been a battle of personalities then rather than the half-hearted pathetic attempts to discredit Blair by putting up 'demon eyes' posters of him!

I remember those ads, very amusing.....I agree, Kenneth Clarke or Heseltine could have cut Labour's majority in '97. But there was NO real way the Tories could have won that '97 election but a good peformance and strong leader may have swung the '01 vote and certainly the '05 one. But having Dr. Faustus (Howard) as leader in '05 was an inspired Tory tactic for a sure defeat.

col said:
what is really interesting to see is how history is beginning to repeat itself with the Labour party. The strong personality of Blair is being attacked by members of his party who are wanting change and opportunities to advance - soon he will go and there will be a power vacuum at the heart of Labour as there was with the Conservatives after Thatcher...

Indeed, if Blair stands down at this years conference and Brown is made leader unopposed Labour would have a chance at re-election in 2008 but I have doubts that Iraq will be far enough away by then. But it's Blair personally that is tainted with that stink, not the Labour party, well mostly.:rolleyes:

col said:
This should leave the way open for the Conservatives to come back into power, after all Labour is slowly destroying itself as the Conservatives had done. I don't think at this point that it will happen, unless something really devastating happens to destroy Labour's credibility (like taking us into another World War in the Middle East perhaps?)

What credibility? If Blair stood down, and/or told Bush to sit on something sharp then Labour's fortunes could yet be turned around. Taking a lead in the ME would be a start, I mean to a degree Britain caused the mess, we could at least try to clean it up? Or maybe we should stay away, oh what a tangled web....

col said:
They haven't really caught onto how to do that because they haven't elected a leader yet who is willing to disenfranchise the right wing core support for the Conservatives in the same way that Blair was willing to use then discard the core left wing support for Labour. Previous leaders like William Hague (I've drawn a blank on the other names, but there have been three or four over the years Labour's been in power) always shot themselves in the foot by bringing the middle ground voters towards the Conservatives then shouting "Bloody immigrants! Bring back hanging! I hate Europe!" or words to that effect! So everyone who didn't care for Labour or the Conservatives but just wanted lower prices on petrol for their 4x4s went back to voting Labour, who didn't like immigrants either and were wanting to introduce compulsory ID cards but weren't as vocal about it - they just introduced changes once back in power!

Labour are dishonest, Tories are dishonest, LibDems are probably dishonest and certainly untested. The problem with the Tories is that they no longer represent enough of the electorate for them to be elected on merit, only as a backlash to Labour. Hate Labour as I do, the Tories would be even worse. That would be an active vote for totalitarianism.

col said:
This new Conservative leader seems to be a start in disenfranchising the 'right wing' Conservatives because there was a lot of fuss from some Conservatives that David Cameron was too young, too trendy etc. Unfortunately he's very obvious in his bandwagon jumping to win support - Blair was able to hide his true intentions behind a mask of sincerity and idealism, while David Cameron does stupid things like riding a bicycle to his office to show the gathered photographers that he is tough on green issues, then gets scuppered when the reporters find out that he had his car following behind him with his work shoes in!

In some ways I see Cameron as an analogue to Kinnock, he simply has so much to do to turn the 'rank and file' and the Blue rinse brigade around, plus he seems to be as much as a prat, well I think so. But politics is hard to predict.

There's a lot to be said for benign dictatorship.....:rolleyes: