Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I do therapeutic (i.e. non-sexual/non-erotic) deep tissue massage. Most of my clients have been gay males, primarily because I've been advertising on masseurfinder.com, which touts itself as a gay site. While my work is clearly non-sexual in nature, about 99% of my clients prefer not to use draping (as do I since I do a lot of full-body work, especially in the warm-up, where the draping would be in the way) and there is no shame when they pop a boner - pretty much everybody does at some point. I'm used to it and cool with it since my boundaries are clear and my gay clients know what they are and respect them.
I'm wanting to branch out some in my advertising, which would mean adding more straight male clients to the guys I work on. It would be really helpful to get a sense of the following from the straight guys here who get massage work from a guy.

1. Are you comfortable working without a sheet covering you up, especially when you're on your back. Would it feel cool if the therapist suggested foregoing the draping, or would this sound weird or suggestive?

2. If you've ever spontaneously gotten hard during a massage and, especially if you weren't draped, was there any weirdness, or was it cool since you were with a guy.

3. If you were looking for a therapeutic massage from a guy, how would you go about finding somebody? (In other words, any suggestions on where to advertise).

Thanks for your thoughts!

888abba

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've gotten many therapeutic massages from straight and gays guys. In both cases I prefer being nude. I always get a boner,that's natural, I'd worry if I didn't. It's a good thing to ask the person if he would rather have a cover. A lot of men are just shy. Some of the guys who have given me massages go nude as well. I guess they do that to make the client more at ease with the scene especially if both men are straight. I would think the best place to advertise would be in your local hometown paper and of course on-line.

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thanks for the reply, abba. I was surprised to read that you've had straight therapists go naked as well. I think that's awesome if everybody's comfortable with it. Hell, in my ideal world, we would all walk around naked (well, on the warm days at least...) Thanks!

Reactions: Fredyfx

888abba

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for the reply, abba. I was surprised to read that you've had straight therapists go naked as well. I think that's awesome if everybody's comfortable with it. Hell, in my ideal world, we would all walk around naked (well, on the warm days at least...) Thanks!
Hey Buzz, For me, It's always fun to be naked.

archetypal_mystic

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow...never encountered a straight therapist who went nude during the massage. I have heard that's how the esalen-school does it...but never personally had that happen. Have had many of the gay therapists go nude. But to answer the question, I would simply let the client know, whether gay or straight, that draping was optional and to their level of comfort. As a default, for a new client I would offer the drape to start, but let them know its fine to adjust it as the massage progresses to their liking.

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
first i have to state since im a varsity athlete and go for sports related massages all massages ive gotten were clothed from either guy or girls now on to you questions

1. No. if i was ever to get a massage where i had to strip down id prefer to keep the sheet on. i do do not think you should suggest that they dont use it it would come off as creepy. leave it up to them whether or not they want to have it on

2.not really applicable since all mine were with clothes on. With a guy or an unattractive girl that wouldn't happen. one massage i got from a therapist, who was really hot, i kind of got a semi but it was right after track practice so i still had my tights on so i dont think she noticed. also id never get fully hard i have more control than that

3. Cant help you our therapist were provided by our school so we didn't really have a say in whether we got a guy or girl.

if you want more clients why dont you just work at a massage place and also work on women pretty sure there are more women getting actual massages then men.
1. Are you comfortable working without a sheet covering you up, especially when you're on your back. Would it feel cool if the therapist suggested foregoing the draping, or would this sound weird or suggestive?

2. If you've ever spontaneously gotten hard during a massage and, especially if you weren't draped, was there any weirdness, or was it cool since you were with a guy.

3. If you were looking for a therapeutic massage from a guy, how would you go about finding somebody? (In other words, any suggestions on where to advertise).

Thanks for your thoughts!

ripsrips

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The first time I got a massage the therapist (male) said get undressed and lay down face down...so I did.
When he walked in he said was if you want to lay above the sheet I'm cool with that...and at that moment I felt like a douche...but that only lasted for a short while as the massage started. when it was time to flip he said you might as well stay on top of the sheet since you've gone this far.
After numerous erections and oozing precum he said you better relieve yourself and gave me a towel and walked out. I've been going to him for 4 years now and he doesn't care if i'm on the sheet...the times I've gone under it's felt more uncomfortable...so above the sheet for me...He's never tried anything (except for the accidental touch) or have never tried to instigate anything.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've never had a massage. But if I did, it would be covered up. Somehow. Whether or not a sheet or towel was involved, I'd be wearing undies. That's a definite.

I'd probably prefer a woman do it.

As for finding one, I know a few people who work as physical trainers and physical therapists, so I would go to them for a recommendation. Or get a recommendation from my doctor.

But I generally don't like people touching me, even my doctor.

Linjen

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have had several nude massages. It no big deal. I might have had an erection once or twise, but that's what happens. I think the terapist have seen an erection before, and why be ashamed.

lastraight

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've had countless sports massages and almost always, I've been without a sheet. I think it's appropriate that you toss off the question at the beginning with a new client, though. Not all new clients will be well-schooled in getting a massage.

I never had the masseur get naked. Not sure I'd like that.

Most times, I don't bone up, but I have on occasion and the masseur just ignores it.

I have only had a few women who really do good massages and I'd have no problem with her getting naked : )

Advertise locally (papers, bulletin boards, wherever you can). And if you want more straight guys, make sure straight guys know you're straight, too. I've had a few gay masseurs, who were all cool, but I was kind of hyper aware of that during the massage and didn't let myself relax as much. I don't know why.

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've had several (all females) that have asked if I'd be more comfortable un-draped and with them I did go that route. Funny I typically will get hard when covered more than without the cover? Once it flopped out from the towel and across my thigh so she pushed it out of the way. I said "sorry about that" and she was one of the females that asked if I wanted to toss the towel!

not_brand_x

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've never had a male massage therapist before. I'm not opposed to it - but it seems largely female-dominated.

1. I've always been draped with a sheet. There have been some times where I'd like to have kicked off the sheet - sometimes the warming pads on the table get too warm for comfort. I do think I would need a few trips to the same therapist, male or female, before I would feel comfortable with going undraped - if only to feel safe about his/her motives.

2. I do get hard from massages on occasion but the therapist has never made a comment about it. It was something I was really nervous about initially but I feel that if the situation is professional, the therapist should understand what's going on and respond in a professional manner.

3. Haven't really thought about it - the places I've gone just for massages (not searching for gender) have always been found either on Google (with a full website available for the studio to make sure of its legitimacy) or as a Groupon.

Reactions: CaribbeanBarbie

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
With the new California law, you might want to read up on what draping is required.

Esalen teaches full drape. That doesn't carry over to provided services, I hear. (Who can afford after paying for the classes?)

My studio requires genitals and female breasts be covered.

Also, nationally, about one third of all therapists are male.
In my practice, about 40 percent of clients are male.

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Every single therapeutic massage I've ever had has been with me being draped as the request of the therapist. Each and every one has said to disrobe and get under the sheet/cover while they are out of the room, and they always knock before re-entering. None have ever suggested that nudity was even an option. They all have skillfully worked the drape around where they need to massage without ever exposing me.

To answer your questions:
1) No, I probably wouldn't be comfortable being nude while getting a legitimate therapeutic massage.
2) I've never gotten hard during a massage, even when it has been a very beautiful woman giving it. Again, a legitimate therapeutic massage is hardly erotic!
3) I wouldn't actively seek out a massage from a guy, and I've only had one guy by chance. The rest of my therapists have been women, again by chance.

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thanks for all the fantastic replies. I love how diverse this site is, and what a wide range of experiences people have had. I appreciated the comment from Lastraight that when you've had gay therapists, you were hyper-aware of that and found it hard to relax. I'm mostly gay, and think that it's important to give off an energy that feels uber safe and trusting (and not energy that makes a client feel like he's being checked out, hit on, etc.) I think my concern has been that offering to forgo a cover sheet might come across as suggestive and make a straight male client feel on-guard. At the same time, it's great reading how many guys are totally cool just being naked and feel comfortable. I also appreciate the suggestion to check out Thumbtack - good idea!
Awesome feedback and I'd love to hear thoughts from anybody else who gets massage work from male therapists.

buzzrider7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Interesting... Does he advertise his work as sensual massage for men? And this is in Indiana?? Wow. (I spent a lot of time there growing up and remember it being extremely conservative.) Awesome to hear how comfortable he and his wife are - so cool.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Any professional, ethical therapist will not be checking out or hitting on clients.

I do get work from male therapists. Usually therapists I know well, and respect intellectually. If you think like me, you will probably build a session like I do, and that's as close as I'll ever get to experiencing my own touch.
I'm blessed, far beyond lucky, to work with three fabulous male therapists who do incredible work and listen when I say I'm wimping out on pain.

The one male who made me uncomfortable got an earful about being creepy and how lucky he was that I wasn't taking it to CAMTC or the cops. He violated several boundaries. I told him to leave the profession.
He left our clinic.

Reactions: ronin001