Quit Smoking Yesterday

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Jennuine73, Apr 28, 2008.

1. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

Aaaarg!!!
    I am a mess.

I started smoking when I was 12, 1985. I quit in 1996. Then I started again in 2005, and I quit again yesterday.

I know I am a humongous idiot for starting again in '05 cause this is ridiculous. I remember how it goes. This week will be hell, next not so bad, 3rd hell, then the next two weeks I'll be insane.

I know all the things they tell you to do but really, the only way to get rid of a nic fit is to HAVE A FUCKING CIGARETTE!!!!

I am trying not to bite anyone's head off. I have a 7yr old daughter now and I really don't want to traumatize her by being a huge bitch. A part of me says "You are not ready to quit, if you were, it would be easier". I told my daughter I was quitting, I can't go back on that. The last thing I want is for her to think it is ok or even good to smoke.

I think I am done ranting. Dammit.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

I'm not a smoker, but I think you are to be commended for trying to quit again. I have been around those who have tried to quit and know it's not easy for y'all. I wish you luck and a bitchiness and pain free withdrawl. :cool:

3. cocksucker1969

cocksucker1969 New Member

Albums:
    Hang in there....it's worth it in the long run.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I hear your pain, Jen. I quit seven years ago (six and a half maybe) and I still have days like that - but then you know that because you were off them 9 years.

There's nothing much to say other than hang in there. You are stronger than the cravings, you've done it before and you can do it again. Tell your daughter that if you are more short tempered than normal that it isn't her it is the nicotine cravings. She'll understand - in fact tell her to tell you when she thinks you are being unreasonable because of it. She knows you better than most people and she'll be able to tell the difference, let her call you on it. It'll help her and it may well help you. I know hearing a little voice say "Mummy, you have PMS!" stops me dead in my tracks when it is that time of the month.

5. Northland

Gold Member

Hang in there-and feel free to rant as much as needed here in this thread. (at least that way you can get the frustrations and anger out as you detox)

My history-first cig was in 1970, I was almost 11. I stopped in 1972, I returned to smoking after an arguement at the age of 17, smoked for the next 10 years, stopped, then took it up again a few weeks later. Stopped smoking after my biking accident, returned to smoking after I was mugged, stopped a year later, started again, then stopped, then started, then stopped-this went on for a few years. Finally stopped again in 1998 and in September will have lasted 10 years without-although, I still get wistful and deliberately engage in standing downdraft of smokers so I can get all the secondhand smoke my nostrils and lungs can inhale.

Best thing in the world you are doing, stopping smoking, it'll be beneficial for both you and your daughter.

6. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

Good for you Jen...I wish you all the very best. If you are ever craving for something to put in your mouth in lieu of a cigarette...well you know where I am going with this one!

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    That could lead to another addiction!

8. D_Roland_D_Hay

I think that addiction is a win/win for everyone.

9. D_Theophallus Kneedgroin

D_Theophallus Kneedgroin Account Disabled

Ever notice how certain members take every subject into a certain direction?

I'll be thingking of you Jenn....Good luck!!!

10. D_Roland_D_Hay

Ever notice how some members get cranky when the attention is not on them???

Now back to you JENN!:biggrin1:

11. D_Theophallus Kneedgroin

D_Theophallus Kneedgroin Account Disabled

:eek:
    That would have got me sent flying across the room!!

12. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

Well, a friend cut drinking straw to the length of a cigarette and sucked it instead of a ciggy. Said it kept her hand busy.

Is this what you mean?

13. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Congratulations. And because of your smart choice, you'll hopefully be around with us for a lot longer!

14. D_Roland_D_Hay

That is certainly a good idea--but I was thinking of something else:wink:

15. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Congrats on giving it up for good there, Jenny. It isn't worth not being around for those you love and care about for a habit that can literallly suck the life out of you.

16. cklover

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just started my involvment with a smoking cessation clinic. I've been on and off those FUCKERS all my life and I can't take it anymore! I've quit for up to 3 yrs before, then relapsed for emotional/stress related reasons. I'm hoping to get some human support as I try to patch my way off them again. Good luck to you....it's such a rotten, fuckedup fight, but SO worth it when it's out of our lives. I hope LPSG-ers will be patient with this type of rant, I know I will be (lol). Do ANYthing you have to do to keep them away from you (legal, that is...:wink:). I know you (and I and others) CAN do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile::mad::mad::eek::confused::biggrin1:

17. Love-it

Gold Member

Stay the course and you won't have any regrets.

I meet a lot of people in my business and it's really sad to see people fighting to breathe in enough air just to walk or talk, they tell me about their various cancers and surgeries and they literally stink of cigarettes. They regret not quitting smoking when they had the chance, but it is to late for them.

18. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    Congratulations on stopping to smoke. Yes, you can do it. Think of your daughter and what you asre teaching her by doing this, she will be in awe and respect you for keeping your word.

Have you considered "gum" or "the patch".

I quit 5 years ago cold turkey, have never looked back. Had a few sleepless nights but thats it. I was lucky, it just didn;t bother me that much.

Hang in there, you will succeed

19. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

I am really glad I don't have a gun. I can see the headlines...

"Mysterious shootings across Windsor, Ontario. Police say sniper targeting smokers."

I want to yell at these people contentedly smoking while I am going insane. I want to run up to them, grab the cigarette out of their hand yelling "NO! NO! NO! BAD! NOW GO HOME!!" and stomp on that cigarette for five minutes. Yes, five minutes, if not five minutes, then a very long time.

Goddamn it!! I'm trying to mind fuck myself by saying "You aren't a smoker, you don't crave cigarettes." YEAH RIGHT, FUCK OFF HEAD!!

I am doing pretty good not bitching at my daughter. My patience is a little shorter than the short fuse it already was. Now it's a short nub.

I told my daughter that there is a poison in cigarettes that make you want to smoke. Yesterday we were wrestling and she said "Hey mommy, your breath doesn't stink." I laughed and said thank you. Yay, my breath doesn't stink, anyone want a kiss? ;)

Rico, you know your cock would be in my mouth constantly. Umm, maybe a line should form, I'll suck the lot of you, purely to forget about cigarettes of course!

20. simcha

Gold Member

Ugh! The first three months is the worst. The first time I quit for 10 years I chewed sugar-free gum incessantly and held pens to keep my hands busy for at least four months. Also I was a raving bitch on wheels for three months. My first week I had terrible night shakes from nicotine withdrawal. I had smoked 2 packs a day and quit cold turkey. Also I was living with my parents and my brother at the time. They all smoked. After dinner they'd light up and I'd mutter curses under my breath as I went out for a walk to get away from temptation.

It was hard, but I believe it was worth it.

Now I have to say that my greatest challenge (14 years later) is turning down cigs when I'm out with my friends. I won't ever buy cigs again. That's a huge mistake. But, I need to have better resistance that couple times a month where I'm faced with an offer to inhale...

Draft saved Draft deleted