Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by B_stanmarsh14, May 18, 2010.

1. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Whilst not strictly a penis health related subject as sorts, it's still a medical issue, and they do say that smoking affects erections etc.

I am looking for those who have quit smoking, using something called Champix / Chantix (Varenicline) (Varenicline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and would like to ask what side effects you encountered, and how successful you was at quitting via this method.

Had this recommended by a friend, and backed up by his partner, who is a top flight Mental Health Worker.

I do know it is closely related to Zyban (Bupropion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and heard that Zyban was given to a number of US Army persons to help with the affects of war, and as a good side effect of it, quite a marked amount of those who took this drug and smoked, also quit smoking, so Champix was born out of Zyban, to cut down the side effects of Zyban, and specificity aimed at those wishing to quit.

#1 B_stanmarsh14, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. fistbottom

fistbottom New Member

[My friend used them and had no side effects, they have been off two weeks longer than me, nine months.

I did it with an inhaler. Best thing I did.

Good luck

3. lurker37160

lurker37160 Member

I smoked for 30 years. First, you must really WANT to quit. I tried everything but what worked for me was Quit Smoking Gradually With QuitKey! It's a little gadget that keeps up with how much you smoke for a week and then tapers you off the weeds. Quitting smoking is the best thing I have ever done and it will be for you IF you want to quit. I am not all about preaching to people like some ex-smokers are. People can still smoke in my house or car if they want. The smell goes away in about 2 days. BTW, I was smoking 3 packs of Marlboro Reds when I stopped in 1997.

4. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

that's because it's the same medication as Welbutrin which is used for depression.

5. sexplease

Gold Member

Albums:
    tried Welbutrin, had strange and bad nightmares.
    Chantix,did nothing.
    Using Blu (atomized smokeless nicotine) kind of ok.

I'm prone to hyperactivity and smoking is self-medicating for me.(statistically this show to be true)
    The few times I quit - cold turkey and any cutting out anything that is processed as an alkali - chocolate, caffeine, tea, sodas and certain foods.
    as nicotine is processed in the body as an alkali, that physical addiction takes about 3 days to correct.
    It is the oral fixation that really is the harder habit to change.
    often people who quit gain weight. partially this is due to metabolic changes, but mostly it's because they keep shoving food into their gaping maws instead of a cigarette.
    Quitting smoking dosen't make you gain weight - over-eating does.

good luck.

6. GogMegog

GogMegog New Member

Albums:
    Sexual health is connected or effected by general health. Good habits for a better sex life depends on the healthy habits. Smoking, coffee, tea, wine will effect your general and sexual health when they are over used, or when you don't eat healthy with them.

Smoking itself will not effect your errection etc if you are to use fruits, juices, milk, honey or other healthy foods. For smokers, soup of chicken (chicken paw, foot) is best medicine. Most of the medicine used to cure this purpose are basically the medicines of depression, anxiety. But I think they all have some side effects, major or minor.

So alternate cure is the best medicine. If you can get help by meditation, yoga or just a morning walk, you can notice the changes.

7. Denverbearmark

Albums:
    Going through quitting now. I did the zyban thing when it first came out. I did quit for a number of years. Only problem with me and zyban was that I said everything that came to my mind. The little social filter in my head was off, so I was in grad school at the time and my friends thought it was a hoot! My arguments were very good, but they were over absolutely nothing--so I decided I could never do that once outside of school.

Have used homeopathic methods to quit since a couple of times--last for a couple of years then slide back--usually a smoke while out at the bar. Maybe I will learn this time!!

8. bellon

bellon New Member

I didn't use the medications you mentioned, just the patch and gum, sometimes at the same time.

If you can make it a few months, not smoking will be cemented in your habits. The cravings will be less frequent, less intense and easier to ignore. It's those first few months that people have trouble with, so just keep in mind the insane cravings are not permanent, and if you can stick it out the reward will be great.

Draft saved Draft deleted