Quitting smoking.

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I decided a while ago that I would stop smoking(finally) and I was sort of procrastinating until I found an article on the internet...

I cant remember the link for the article, but it says there is considerable evidence that smoking(for an extented period of time) can lead to decreased blowflow to your dick.

And since I already have horrible blowflow to my entire body, I figured it would be very bad for me.

I need some encouragement from you guys! I cant get it from anyone else!

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Just think, if the article really does have an effect on your life, and it is decreasing blood flow to your penis, then maybe other smaller problems will decrease. It will make your breath smell better, your hair less dry, and you wouldn't have to go outside in the freezing cold to have a smoke. Overall your body will benefit from quitting, your lungs can't really thank you, but you know yourself that you will be doing a great thing for your body overall. Good luck.

Maybe try every time you have a craving and you are at home masturbate or something that induces some sort of pleasure.

tallicadude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I can recommend Allen Carr's book, managed just a bit over a month without a cigarette so far. Smoked for about 4-5 yrs, tried the gum and the patches, didnt work.

Once in a while the craving comes back but as long as you realise that you get nothing out of smoking (except something to fidget with in your hands and metaphorical russian roulette) its not even that bad.

And yeah, the benefits have been listed quite well above. Generally you'll feel a lot healthier and active imho.

Chrysalis

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I started smoking at 14, and remember telling my best friend that I "wouldn't get hooked." (Back then, you could still buy cigarettes out of a vending machine for 75 cents a pack, which made it quite easy for minors to smoke). By the time I was 18, I was smoking a pack a day. But the time I was 26, I was a chain smoker.

I quit on Mar. 29, 1997, and haven't smoked since. Not once. This March will be the ten year anniversary. I used the patch for the first three months, which I highly recommend -- it helps you postpone the physical withdrawal a little bit, so you only have to deal with the psychological withdrawal at first. I had to take the damned things off at night, though, because they gave me some weird-ass dreams! :eek:

What really helped me get through it was going to the gym and working out every day. Something about that burning in the lungs, I think...was familiar and necessary. In addition, it prevented a lot of the weight gain that often occurs with smoking cessation.

And then, every time I survived another difficult situation in my life without smoking, it got easier. I'd look back on the last really shitty thing that happened to me, and say "If I got through that without smoking, I can get through this, too."

Do it!!! You will feel SOOOO much better. :banana:

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm lighting up my last cigarette as I type this. I have one more left in my pack... I'm going to keep it as a reminder. And if I can go without smoking that last, little cigarette then I know that I dont need the addiction.

I dont know it.

I dont need the phlegm, I dont need the crappy blowflow to my fingertips and feet, I dont need the bad breath, I dont need cigarettes.

I'm done with it.

:biggrin1:

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm lighting up my last cigarette as I type this. I have one more left in my pack... I'm going to keep it as a reminder. And if I can go without smoking that last, little cigarette then I know that I dont need the addiction.

I dont know it.

I dont need the phlegm, I dont need the crappy blowflow to my fingertips and feet, I dont need the bad breath, I dont need cigarettes.

I'm done with it.

:biggrin1:

It seems like you're conditioning your brain for stopping the nasty habit, mephistopheles, and I praise you for making this decision. The last one I had was in July of 1957, when I had to condition my brain by knowing I wouldn't smoke another one for a million dollars. I had smoked 10 years before this and even though nothing was hear re. how bad they were for our health, I knew they were injurious to me. I know what you mean by keeping the last one in the pack for not smoking. I had about a half pack left and held on to them just to prove how my determination would overcome the habit! Wish I could give you a congratulatory hand shake, man!

Luke:cool:

Stormyjjl

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I smoke still but i love its and enjoy it. My S/O dosen't smoke and wants me to quit but how do i please my S/O if i really don't want to quit yet?

I do notice that if i go for hours without smokeing for some reason the thought of smokeing get grosser the longer you don't do it. The longest i went without smokeing was 47 hours and when i broke down and had a smoke i almost threw up. I wonder why

Magic 8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Smoking causes the constriction of blood vessels and that reduces blood flow. It is true that smoking will, over time, cause your erection to become smaller and less firm. This is not a myth, ask your doctor.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I quit a year ago - went on paxil sr - (zyban) it was suprisingly easy.

Actually, it's Wellbutrin SR that's Zyban, not Paxil.

But I was going to say that I quit unintentionally when I was on Wellbutrin. I just didn't want to smoke anymore. I was taking the medication to treat depression, but about 1-2 weeks or so into treatment, cigarettes started tasting bad and I didn't want to smoke anymore.

If you have insurance, some of them will cover Wellbutrin SR/bupropion for depression, but not Zyban. They are exactly the same thing. Sometimes if you ask, your doctor will write for the one that your insurance covers.

At any rate, it worked really well for me. I haven't smoked for about 9 years.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wover hen we got together my wife quit smoking, that was a little over 32 years ago. After 6 months the acrid, bitter tobacco taste finally disappeared during kissing. She is glad that she quit smoking and her health and ability to engage in bicycling and skiing has not diminished like some people we know who can't let the smoking go.

Congratulations on quitting and know that we support your decision.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I never make New Years resoloutins, but this year I'm quitting. I started in 1976...so 30 years is enough for a bad habit. Good luck to all!

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
One of the few smart things I have ever done, Meph, is to quit smoking. I simply chose a Quit Date, threw away the cigarettes that morning, and haven't had one since. I knew the physical addiction wouldn't be especially hard to deal with; it's the association with coffee, drinking, sex, etc. that generated the worst urges. I purposely selected a time when I knew I would be extremely busy. After three days, the urges began to wane, though they never have left entirely. The fresh breath, increased lung power, odor-free clothes and house are a great trade-off for a little discomfort. Some of my friends have been smoking and quitting for years, trying the patch, gum, etc. Cold turkey worked for me, but whatever method you use, I wish you success. Smoking has little good to recommend it.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
One of the few smart things I have ever done, Meph, is to quit smoking. I simply chose a Quit Date, threw away the cigarettes that morning, and haven't had one since. I knew the physical addiction wouldn't be especially hard to deal with; it's the association with coffee, drinking, sex, etc. that generated the worst urges.

I agree, John. I attribute my success to quitting all four at the same time.

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I started smoking at 14, and remember telling my best friend that I "wouldn't get hooked." (Back then, you could still buy cigarettes out of a vending machine for 75 cents a pack, which made it quite easy for minors to smoke). By the time I was 18, I was smoking a pack a day. But the time I was 26, I was a chain smoker.

I quit on Mar. 29, 1997, and haven't smoked since. Not once. This March will be the ten year anniversary. I used the patch for the first three months, which I highly recommend -- it helps you postpone the physical withdrawal a little bit, so you only have to deal with the psychological withdrawal at first. I had to take the damned things off at night, though, because they gave me some weird-ass dreams! :eek:

What really helped me get through it was going to the gym and working out every day. Something about that burning in the lungs, I think...was familiar and necessary. In addition, it prevented a lot of the weight gain that often occurs with smoking cessation.

And then, every time I survived another difficult situation in my life without smoking, it got easier. I'd look back on the last really shitty thing that happened to me, and say "If I got through that without smoking, I can get through this, too."

Do it!!! You will feel SOOOO much better. :banana:
Oh my god, did you have those dreams too?
When I quit smoking I just quit in a day (back in 1991, I think,) and I had the freakiest dreams I had ever had. My first experience with lucid dreaming had me angry and frustrated. the way I quit was to convince myself that I did not smoke. I was moving from Minneapolis to Montana for work and I had spent the week packing and arranging a place to stay until my appartment would be ready and had everything figured out for the trip and the night before I left I had a few bucks left over so before I went to bed I walked to the store and I had enough money for either a pakc of cigs or a quart of beer, and the beer won. I went home, threw my ashtrays in the trash, cleaned my place for the landlord, and never smoked again. Those DREAMS though...wow!If you are convinced that you do not smioke and you catch yourself enjoying a cigarette...well, it's aggrivating.

When we talk about addictions and say something that sounds stupid like, "he's adicted to marijuana", the natural thought is that things like marijuana are psychologically addictive, not chemically addictive. What they don't tell you is that the chemical addictions are relatively easy to overcome. The psychological addiction is the tough one, and it's usually the one they miss when they put you in treatment.