Quitting the fags...

diesel_82

Experimental Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2010
Posts
182
Media
0
Likes
22
Points
53
Location
Melbourne
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Gender
Male
And by fags I mean cigarettes. Have previously "quit" before, for 4 months - and that was because of swine flu. Anyone here recently quit smoking? How did you do it, and how are you doing now?
 
Cold turkey. Been clean for a few years. Much better, health and fitness wise. Try to find diversions and rewards for the reasons you used to smoke.
 
I stopped smoking a couple of weeks ago. The first few days were pretty hellish, and then the cravings subsided. I've found the Nicorette 'inhalator' and their chewing gum have helped to quell the cravings. And I was a heavy smoking - sometimes going up to around 30 a day, for around 25 years!!!

I've currently got a sore throat a cough, which isn't great, but hoping to stay off the cigarettes, not least because I can't afford to buy them anymore!!
 
Last edited:
Tomorrow will be one year since I quit. I have put over $5,000.00 in a special account at the bank in what I have saved by not buying cigarettes. The following is a post I made previously on how I quit...


Over the years I've tried many ways to quit smoking... I went to The Schick Clinic in LA, I went to Somke Enders, I wore the patch, I chewed the gum, I took Wellbutrin and I just kept smoking because deep down I don't think I wanted to stop.
I have not had a cigarette for over three months and I've never felt better... This is how I did it. I bought a calender and exactly enough cigarettes for the program I am about to outline... The first week I allowed myself a pack of cigarettes a day. The second week I allowed myself a half a pack per day.(But mark the exact time of day on the calender that you are going to smoke it... and stick to it... this way you don't smoke when you want to you smoke when you have to) The third week I allowed myself 2 cigarettes a day.(One in the morning and one after dinner... but the trick was I had to leave the house and go someplace else and smoke it at least a block away) The fourth week I allowed myself one a day. (At noon... this way I got rid of my favorite morning and evening smoke)
On the morning of the new month I stopped and had my last cigarette with a glass of champagne as a pre-celebration for the path that I was taking with my life and health. I did it this way because I wanted to slowly wean myself off of the nicotine to hopefully make the withdrawal less heinous.
The first three days were not a lot of fun, I drank a lot of water and exercised moderately. If you can make it to a week you have reached your first milestone and you start feeling better. Then week two comes and goes with improvement. I felt really good at week three. The first six weeks I had dreams about smoking and was tempted regularly. It's these times your will power is tested and you have to decide who is going to win you or the cravings! Right now I have never felt better in my entire life. It's important to do something to help you measure your progress in a positive way. I put all the money I would have spent on cigarettes in a shoe box... I have saved over $1,200.00 so far.
This time around it worked for me because I really wanted to quit. I guess the point that I want to make is she needs to take the power away from you and become empowered herself. You should just be there for support.
Hope this helped... good luck to you and your girl friend.
 
Last edited:
And by fags I mean cigarettes. Have previously "quit" before, for 4 months - and that was because of swine flu. Anyone here recently quit smoking? How did you do it, and how are you doing now?

I used to smoke, finally got tired of it and stopped. It wasn't my first attempt but this time it has lasted and I have no desire to smoke again and it's been several years now. I can't say there is any 1 method which works for people other than just not wanting to do it any more, same as happens with other items that people go overboard with that aren't healthy.

Best of luck in this and keep us up to date on how it is going.
 
Quit a couple of years ago, used willpower. I hated being a smoker, so I knew that if I gave in to the craving I'd just be back at square one again.
 
i tried cigarettes once or twice at 16, and clove cigarettes in college. it never stuck, so i don't have any personal advice or anything. but i was just having a conversation last week with a colleague, and he told me he tried hypnosis and it worked. never picked them up again, and it's been a few years now. he says he has no desire whatsoever.
 
I quit cigs weed blow cold turkey 7 years
I was the best decision of my life and never looked back now I take care and try to improve my body
 
I smoked for 10 years and quit about 20 years ago. What I did was to buy 2 packs, one was in the house and one was in the car. This way I never had the anxiety of not having a cig if I wanted one when I was in withdrawl. I quit cold turkey after a party night where I smoked an entire pack at a bar and I woke up disgusted....
 
I quit "cold turkey" years ago. I had a job at a radio station and it was getting harder and harder to read the news.

Only time I really missed them was after work when I would stop in for a beer....or two.

You can do it! Good luck!
 
I quit smoking last year, following a health scare. I used Nicotene replacement and quitting was much easier than I'd previously imagined.

The smell of tobacco is still enticing, but I can't imagine ever smoking again. I feel lucky to have been given a second chance (cliché, I know!) but I wouldn't want to let my family and friends down by starting smoking again.

Speaking from experience, I'd recommend giving up before you have a serious reason to. :smile:



Tomorrow will be one year since I quit. I have put over $5,000.00 in a special account at the bank in what I have saved by not buying cigarettes. The following is a post I made previously on how I quit...
Congrats, nudey. :smile: This is a great idea. I keep track of my ÂŁs saved too, although I don't actually put it in special account.
 
And by fags I mean cigarettes. Have previously "quit" before, for 4 months - and that was because of swine flu. Anyone here recently quit smoking? How did you do it, and how are you doing now?

i quit.. and the way i do it is by always remembering how much money i save a year if I don't buy fags.

then i think about yellow teeth and how i almost got yellow teeth

then i think about lung and throat cancer.

then i just don't buy them.
 
I've quit over and over again. In the past two and a half years, I've had one cigarette. The last time I quit, I used ecigarettes, and I do recommend them. I wish I had carried some with me in that situation where I smoked one cigarette. I knew that it would be a tempting situation, so I ought to have been prepared for it. I will next time.

Nudeyorker, that's a wonderful idea! I love it!
 
Thanks for all the tips guys and girls. I want to quit because I simply don't like it anymore, yet that doesn't seem to be enough for me to just stop buying cigarettes. And also, I'm turning 30 this year, and I realised that I have been smoking for half of my life. This disgusted me. I have just 'grown up' with them. I have no idea what non-smokers do on breaks at work, or during commercial breaks, waiting around at airports, having Friday night drinks, and it's sad to say this! But I can't imagine enjoying a beer on a hot day without a cigarette in my hand. Is that ridiculous or WHAT?!
 
yep
unfortunate you ever got started on them matey
can appreciate difficulty in a commitment to quitting, wish you the best each time you attempt to quit' is the best i can offer
Had a period of 3/4 times of trying them out, but fortunately never took it up.
I just get about observing others or reading as an alternative
Cheers to you
 
Thanks for all the tips guys and girls. I want to quit because I simply don't like it anymore, yet that doesn't seem to be enough for me to just stop buying cigarettes. And also, I'm turning 30 this year, and I realised that I have been smoking for half of my life. This disgusted me. I have just 'grown up' with them. I have no idea what non-smokers do on breaks at work, or during commercial breaks, waiting around at airports, having Friday night drinks, and it's sad to say this! But I can't imagine enjoying a beer on a hot day without a cigarette in my hand. Is that ridiculous or WHAT?!

I was exactly like that. You'll forget all about them eventually.
 
Oh, when I read the title of this thread I got soooo homesick for my great uncle. He lived in Bristol and would always says that "One of these days I'll quit the fags, I swear." Mum's family is from around Bristol, and I loved spending the summer there.

I never took up tobacco myself, but watched a friend quit. I stayed arm's length from her for a few weeks. It was not pleasant, but I was so proud of her that she did it. I think it's been at least 15 years for her.

Good luck!!!