QwikShower.com

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Roch18k, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Roch18k

Roch18k New Member

Local write-up in an upstate NY paper on kids not showering any more after gym class. One new reason they've come up with is the horror that someone might be in the locker room with a camera phone. Now they've got a solution to going to the next class without stinking up the classroom...........QwikShower a disposable wet wipe. It's so sad!

2. Thirdlegproduction

Thirdlegproduction Formerly WhiteMonst3r
    Gold Member

Albums:
    kids dont develop sweat like adults do for one.
    And if you have showered before you do workouts you don't smell either as the smell comes from old sweat getting wett again.

3. nicecircjob

nicecircjob Well-Known Member

It is sad that they don't have that bonding and camaraderie that I enjoyed in Jr High and High school locker rooms. It was part of growing up and becoming a man. Yeah, it is sad. :-(

4. mattsrod7

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess if its between classes too, and if gym is only like an hour, how long will it take to get 30 kids undressed, showered, and dressed.

5. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If I remember correctly, we went in approximately 10-15 mins before the period ended. Didn't have time to mess around, just undress, shower, and get dressed. Bell would ring, and we'd be off to our next class.

Not a big deal

6. catman

Gold Member

I agree, part of 'growing up' and 'being a guy' was the group ritual of gym, showering, etc... we all got it done in 10-15 minutes as well...

(and I too wonder about folks who "have" to have the phone (camera?) in the locker room... )

7. BBCP

BBCP Member

Albums:
    Hell, I went to school pre-non car cell phones (at least ones that were small enough to conceal) and we didn't shower from Jr. High all the way through HS. We had to dress out, bring gym clothes, etc. but no showers. Never did see a single one of my classmates fully naked...

8. chrisanonymous

chrisanonymous New Member

Albums:
    I went to school in upstate NY and we never had to shower after gym class. There isn't time for it. Classes are generally 45(ish) minutes long, it takes at least 10 minutes to get the class started (including attendance and getting to the correct field or court), then we would "play" for about 30 minutes and the last 5 minutes were spent changing back into our regular clothes. We were often late to the next class. I thought that it was a nation wide trend, not just in upstate NY. The times they are a-changing.

9. D_IsaacAssimov

D_IsaacAssimov Account Disabled

I never had to shower in high school, middle school, anything. All the schools I went to had a place for them, but they had been removed.

10. Roch18k

Roch18k New Member

In the write-up they said some of the schools had turned the shower rooms into rooms for storage.

11. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

I think this all comes from the pulpit. These conservative Christian preachers keep telling people, parents and kids alike, that to be seen naked in front of anyone except your spouse is a sin. The school administrators then close down the locker rooms and showers because the kids aren't using them anyway. It's really sad but I bet I'm close to the reason why kids are not the same today as they were years ago.

12. nmf9in

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's bullshit. Kids aren't showering today but it's not because some preacher says it's sinful. I think the showers are dry for the same reason there are individual urinals with dividers between them-nobody wants to be seen naked. It never was a big deal-shouldn't be now. In the 70's it was everybody in the shower & be quick about it. If you didn't have soap or shampoo you borrowed some. You'd catch hell from the coach or your buddies if you reeked or let your practice stuff get too ripe. Sad to hear guys have gone to rubbing around a big Wet One...

13. BearGut340

BearGut340 New Member

Interesting. I went to school in far-upstate NY (south of Buffalo). We were required to take showers after gym. From 4th grade through 12th grade. So that makes nine years of the male bonding ritual. Typically this was 2.5 days/week (alternating 2-day/3-day weeks).

And how does a school system enforce such a requirement? The PE teacher stood with his roster in the locker room. You had to report to him upon exiting the shower before to got dressed.

14. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

a long time ago my school had 52 minute periods and we managed to shower AND be on time for the next class. on activity days we had 45 minute periods and still made it to next class.

every young person I've known in the past number of years have said no showers.

in these times of tight educational budgets, school districts probably don't want to heat water for showers.

15. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    I attended two different districts in the metro-NY area for both middles school and high school. We had to change for gym but we all just stripped to our underwear and socks and then put on a shirt and shorts or sweats. There were showers at both schools I went to (average suburban MS, ultra-swanky elite HS) but in both locker rooms the shower areas were dark and used for storage for athletic gear. My dad was an administrator at the second school and I once asked him about the showers and he said that they had been using them for storage since the late 80s.

I thought nothing of it at the time as I didn't know anything else. Now, as a bit of a fitness fanatic, I wouldn't dream of leaving the gym after a workout without showering first. That's so unsanitary and unhygienic! These oversized wet naps seem to be a truly inferior alternative, kinda like those 'dry bath' things for dogs. Simply doesn't work.

16. eurotop40

Gold Member

This is also my impression. Interestingly, these horrible conservative Christians are very similar to Osama's friends.

17. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    Way back in the '60's we had gym class, dressed for the class, had the actvitiy and ALL showered after class. It was a given, no if's, and's or but's. Not alot of time to shower and get to class. Only guys excused from gym were the jocks on teams. That's the way things were done. Got us ready being nude in front of others in other situations, i.e. military basic training. No matter how late training was, always showered when done. We did have on shy guy who did not shower. He finally got showered by the rest of us.....literally carried into the shower and scrubbed down with some GI soap and a GI brush. He cleaned himslef after that experience.

18. hungeasy

hungeasy Member

Albums:
    in my hs we would only use the showers after early morning basketball or baseball practices, the gym classes dont use them

19. Roch18k

Roch18k New Member

Since first posting this I remembered I came across a write-up else where, where another reason they stopped showering was gym coaches were so afraid of being accused of being pedophiles that the thought of having a locker room full of underage boys fully nude didn't sit too well with them.

20. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    With todays whacked out, sue happy world, this probably makes the most sense of anything.

Sad :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted