Rabbit

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Well, the Chinese new year has recently been celebrated, and 2011 is the year of the rabbit. I cannot remember ever seeing rabbit on the menu at a Chinese restaurant. Does anybody have a recipie for an Oriental or Asian style rabbit?

I have a Cambodian recipe....

you need plenty of small fiery hot south east asian chillies, and fresh turmeric (peeled), fresh ginger or galangal (peeled), fresh green Kampot pepper, Kaffir Lime leaves (lots), garlic, banana shallots, lime juice, Cambodian Mint (also called Vietnamese Coriander) or Rau Ram or chi krasang tomhom, fish paste or prawn paste. You blend all of these (go very easy on the fish paste btw, it's very strong) with a little water or peanut oil if it needs it to help you form a very fine paste.

Take a rabbit butchered into pieces and rub the paste all over the pieces and put any left over paste to one side. Juice a lime over the rabbit pieces, put them on a plate and cover them with cling film and put the plate in the fridge for an hour or two.

When the rabbit is marinated heat a wok or large heavy bottomed frying pan and add two or three tablespoons of peanut oil then fry the rabbit pieces in the oil.

You then add the rest of the paste and vegetables such as south east asian cucumber chopped into small chunks and baby aubergines/eggplant, you can add more finely sliced shallot at this point too.

Add some coconut milk, and a teaspoon of palm sugar, and simmer for a while longer, but not too long as you don't want the veggies to over cook, add some more lime juice, some fresh sprigs of the Cambodian mint and one or two strings of the Kampot pepper corns and serve with Jasmin or Cambodian sticky rice.

Last edited:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You've never had a bacon sandwich?!? Where are you living - under a rock? :tongue: Aussies add BBQ sauce to bacon (and egg) sandwiches, if you wish to try them the Aussie way.

I agree that rabbits are wonderful to cuddle, but they're also great to eat!

No, I haven't had a bacon sandwich but I have tried egg sandwiches! Very nice!! I will definitely put BBQ sauce in my first bacon sandwich and report back on the experience. :tongue: So, you like to cuddle rabbits but also eat them...interesting. Do you cuddle the rabbits you are going to eat or do you have seperate hutches? :confused: Oh, and I must be the one at the bottom of the following list... Answers.com - Animals that live under a rock

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No, I haven't had a bacon sandwich but I have tried egg sandwiches! Very nice!! I will definitely put BBQ sauce in my first bacon sandwich and report back on the experience. :tongue:

Don't go overboard with the sauce! I look forward to your report :biggrin1:.

So, you like to cuddle rabbits but also eat them...interesting. Do you cuddle the rabbits you are going to eat or do you have seperate hutches? :confused:

Oh, I don't grow them! I buy them from the butchers when I want to eat one. I do have my very own just-for-cuddling bunny though.

Oh, and I must be the one at the bottom of the following list... Answers.com - Animals that live under a rock

ROFL :biggrin1:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't go overboard with the sauce! I look forward to your report :biggrin1:.

Oh, I don't grow them! I buy them from the butchers when I want to eat one. I do have my very own just-for-cuddling bunny though.

ROFL :biggrin1:

I used to have a bunny but he died years ago. Perhaps I should get another one - this thread has made me miss the cuddles. Thank you for your advice about the sauce, I will use it conservatively. :biggrin1:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:frown1: Get another! Cuddle bunnies are fantastic (my one is a cuddle slut - he'll cuddle anyone, including the cat).

I think I will! Haha! My cat used to be scared of my rabbit!! He would only want to cuddle up with him but my kitty would always run away haha. :biggrin1:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I could have sworn I had posted this here before but I could not find it...

Country Rabbit Stew

1 rabbit, about 3 pounds, cut up
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped celery
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash peppeer
Herb Bouquet
(3 or 4 sprigs parsley
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
1 sprig rosemary
Tie herbs together in a cheesecloth or bag and drop in the pot while simmering.Take out before serving)
4 cups water
4 cups dry red wine
2 cups diced carrots
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup water

Dredge rabbit pieces with 1/2 cup flour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add celery, onion, salt, pepper, herb bouquet, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer rabbit stew for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms; cook for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/3 cup water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the broth; cook and stir until thickened.
serves 4 or two really hungry people.

Last edited:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Basic Braised Rabbit

Sautee the serving sized pieces of rabbit in good oil on all sides until browned well. Sprinkle with one half cup flour and plenty of black pepper, adding extra flour until oil is absorbed. Remove rabbit pieces to a plate and add three cups of mixed water, wine and stock, whisking to make into a gravy. Return rabbit pieces to the pot, cover and simmer until tender, at least half an hour.

Your favorite vegetables could be in the pot too.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Take it or leave it, almost all of us have similar recipes.
Hil`s rabbit is quite exotic!:)

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We had the rabbit tonight and it was superb. I cooked it all day in the slow cooker with some onions stock and a generous picking of fresh Rosemary. I thickened the gravy. So tasty and we kept some bits for Sacha who looked like she'd died and gone to heaven.

We'll be having more so I'll try some of your other tips. Thanks again.