Rachel Maddow - fair and balanced?

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've been in the forum (since the election pretty much).

I'm a big news channel surfer. Fox, MSNBC, CNN for the most part, since they are right next to each other on my cable stations. During the elections when, admittedly, emotions were running high, I came across Mrs Maddow while she seemed to be doing a lot of Keith Olberman. I didn't really care for her then because she seemed to come across on the tad bit vicious side towards the Republicans.

So I put her down in my mind as being on the center left to far left of the political spectrum.

This past week I've been surfing again and came across her. Paused to listen and was shocked as she went after President Elect Obama on quite a few issues one of which was broken campaign promises.

She was really quite funny and came across in a manner which I not only liked but she was able to break it down to it's simplest form.

I have to say I was impressed and might have been wrong about my first impression of her. Granted, forming an impression about someone during one of the most emotionally charged elections in recent history probably wasn't a good idea.

So when I come across Mrs Maddow again, I'll pause and listen to what she is saying with more than just half an ear.

Sklar

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
I came across Mrs Maddow while she seemed to be doing a lot of Keith Olberman.

Hey Sklar! I agree with ya, guy. I think that was even by design; when Rachel Maddow started on MSNBC, it felt like they were patterning her show after Olbermann's show. His style is very scripted and very bombastic, over-the-top ... she herself comes across as much more intelligent and less dogmatic, and her show has morphed in that direction.

I just started watching it again, myself. At first, she was just too strident for my taste, and I quit watching. Now, she's smarter and funnier. She still sounds a little too scripted, however; I think she'd sound GREAT if she would just talk through her points instead of reading the teleprompter so much. She talks through her radio show; I'm sure she could be more conversational on TV, too.

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think she was always on the mark from day one! I think she is anti-corporatist fascist, whether its from the Republican or Democrats. Being a lesbian herself, I would also ascertain that she is a gay activist, and that may in part made her do her homwework and become politically involve in that retrospect.

My biggest question is how can a gay person be a Republican? not that its impossible when you see the number of closeted gay politician getting caught in the act. But that just it, in order to be a gay politician you have to be in the closet to hide who you are. So how does one become a member of a party that is so anti-gay? Is anti gay movement is just one thing you don't like about the party, but everything else they stand for is great?

I would think that her being a lesbian would be a plus in listening to her, and a nice representition for the gay commuinity. You couldn't ask for a better role model.

Last edited:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Something most republicans just don't get... they always complain that democrats can't present a united front...

Well, its because democrats are not dogmatists... they tend to be independent thinkers.
Unlike the Tools fielded by FOX, you will discover that liberal commentators like Ms Maddow are JUST as likely to take their OWN party to task as they are the republican party...

The primary difference? Unlike FOX, They will not take either party to task for MADE UP or inconsequential shit....
They tend to focus on REAL actions that have real impact.

Jon Stewart, as Liberal as he is.. is the same guy who, at the height of the Obama campaign, aired a satirical version of the opening song of the "lion King" with Obama's head plastered on the lion cub....

And, unlike republicans who only care if their "team" has the ball... Liberals like Maddow and Olberman are more concerned about ACTIONS than party...
if Obama does NOT keep the promises on which he was elected.... they will be the FIRST to skewer him for it.

I find her intelligent, and her commentary biting and insightful.
Too bad she's gay... cause she's cute, too.

But I do find it funny how Rebublicans just don't comprehend the ZEAL with which liberals can go after democratic misconduct.
Democrats go after corrupt democrats because corruption is BAD for the party and bad for government.

Republicans seem to think that ADMITTING to corruption is what is bad for their party.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Grow up.

Any woman who doesn't fit your narrow, Puritan preconception of what a woman 'should' look like or act like gets called a man? That's sexist and childish. And you've made this infantile crack before, so it's also unoriginal.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Grow up.

Any woman who doesn't fit your narrow, Puritan preconception of what a woman 'should' look like or act like gets called a man? That's sexist and childish. And you've made this infantile crack before, so it's also unoriginal.

Of course, the inferences in the Ann Coulter thread about being a man somehow escaped your moral reprimands.:rolleyes:

So, please don't make a disparaging remark about lefty Rachel....but its perfectly acceptable to do exactly the same about righty Ann.

The ABC's of hypocricy....courtesy of Mindseye.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Are you interested in combatting sexism (in which case, you can speak up for yourself in that thread), or just interested in generating drama (in which case, I have no interest in abetting you)?

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Grow up.

Um--- you gotta understand how threatened republicans feel by the fact that they haven't got a single Rhodes scholar on their team...

When ignoramuses are faced with intelligence, they always revert to name calling...

And Ann Coulter isn't a man... she's just an ignorant, lying, cunt who couldn't reason her way out of a tic tac toe game.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Some people may actually have a day job
:wink: Nyet make that job period and don't have the leisure of hanging out here all day.

Help me with the math....we joined in the same month...yet you have 2500 posts, and I have 1600.

On an aside, if you don't have internet access at work....well just keep in mind that some people have internet access at work.:rolleyes:

If one were sitting on hold, for example, one might fool around on the internet instead of singing along with the 'hold' music.

D

deleted15807

Help me with the math....we joined in the same month...yet you have 2500 posts, and I have 1600.

On an aside, if you don't have internet access at work....well just keep in mind that some people have internet access at work.:rolleyes:

If one were sitting on hold, for example, one might fool around on the internet instead of singing along with the 'hold' music.

The difference is your posts are complete fantasies of how the US 'won' in Iraq , how Bush is a great president, how loose regulations are a boon, how borrowers are to blame for the current mess, I could go on and on and on. What do you do all day other than simulcast Faux News stories?

And to think you visit LPSG during work is very troubling indeed. I wish I could 'work' and hang out at LPSG all day. I thought conservatives were against people getting money and not working for it.