Racial/gender slurs as jokes... no harm done?

Gnothiseauton

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I just don't understand how people can say things like "jew someone down" or "that's so gay" or "n---- rigg something" or "gyp someone" or "going mexican style" "fucking breaders" and think it's ok because it's all in good spirit and everyone knows you're joking anyway? Not ten minutes ago a fellow member just said to me it was ok because everyone on here knew he was joking...

Am I the only one that thinks that it is 1) NEVER ok to use a slur, even if you're dissing at your own minority 2) NEVER acceptable as a joke 3) shows how ignorant and what level of a human being you really are?

When will people realize that using slurs "a jokes" is the best and worst way to perpetuate a negative stereotype because it removes all guilt from using it and further entrenches it as true in other's mind?!!!!

Stand up for yourselves and for others. People will respect you for it. And even if they don't, you will have respect for yourself!

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd always heard it as "jimmy rig or gerry rig", which I suppose offends the Irish.:rolleyes: None the less, I agree. I have never liked the "N" word and don't believe blacks can 'take back it's power' by using it as a salutation with each other. It always sounds ignorant. I tend to have a very low opinion of the blacks and whites who use it freely.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't like negative slurs either. But have got to ask... How about ''white trash", "trailer trash", "honky", "dumb blond", "bohunk", "dumb cracker", "kraut", "polack", "frog", "pommie bastard" and so on? Ever use any of those NJ? I know I do. I think some slurs, like "kike", "nigger" and "chink", are beyond the pail and hate hearing them. My mum once washed my brother's mouth out with soap for using the n-word.

But.. if someone says "I'm too much of a Jew to pay that much", I don't have problem with it. Face it, some ethnic stereotypes have an element of truth behind them, and if used humorously, especially by a member of the group in question, I think we need to bend a bit and see the lighter side of our differences. It's not a new thing, I'm sure the Sumerians told jokes about the Egyptians. Don't be so PC.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To the OP I just finished reading the other thread that started this one. I agree with you in theory, but I myself am jewish and use some slang in the private company of jewish friends and it's all in fun. I would never never use a derogatory word about another group of people of whom I'm not a member of that religion, race, country of origin etc. Those who do I think of having no education or respect.
When I hear slurs made about my religion (or anyone else's for that matter) made in a derogatory manner it infuriates me. However in fairness the person who made that comment in the other thread is jewish and in NY that phrase is almost as common as "Would you like fries with that?"

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My boss is always making GAY remarks towards me, like "you like the big ones" "yu like it at the back door" " you never say it too big", shit like that, and always chuckles afterwards. first , i find it inappropriate for an employee/boss relationship, and secondly, I just dont find it funny. Not sure why he thinks its acceptable, other than I am just an easy going guy and he knows I wont make a big deal out of it. But as the employee, I cant say anything to him about "pussy" of "tits". so its a one way street. Offending remarks dont necessarily need to be rude curse words, and one persons "joke" is another persons "slander"....

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I just don't understand how people can say things like "jew someone down" or "that's so gay" or "n---- rigg something" or "gyp someone" or "going mexican style" "fucking breaders" and think it's ok because it's all in good spirit and everyone knows you're joking anyway? Not ten minutes ago a fellow member just said to me it was ok because everyone on here knew he was joking...

Am I the only one that thinks that it is 1) NEVER ok to use a slur, even if you're dissing at your own minority 2) NEVER acceptable as a joke 3) shows how ignorant and what level of a human being you really are?

When will people realize that using slurs "a jokes" is the best and worst way to perpetuate a negative stereotype because it removes all guilt from using it and further entrenches it as true in other's mind?!!!!

Stand up for yourselves and for others. People will respect you for it. And even if they don't, you will have respect for yourself!

There's always a better way to word and voice something. That's not being politically correct, but it is being considerate of the feelings of people around you.

We all know what these slurs imply and you're playing with fire if you engage in them. With that said, it's not impossible for someone to say these words and get their joke across. They just need to let people know ahead of time that it is a joke (and they better make it good, dammit). That's why people like Katt Williams & Lisa Lapanelli can diverge into racial humor and we all laugh. It's also the same reason why someone on a message board can type it out and not get the same response.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
I'd always heard it as "jimmy rig or gerry rig", which I suppose offends the Irish.:rolleyes: None the less, I agree. I have never liked the "N" word and don't believe blacks can 'take back it's power' by using it as a salutation with each other. It always sounds ignorant. I tend to have a very low opinion of the blacks and whites who use it freely.
Same here. After all, I'm sure we can take back the word "monkey" as well, using that logic. :mad:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For me I have to take a few things into account. Firstly who is saying it to me and in what context. I also think the manner in which something is said gives a great insight into the sentiment behind any remarks and the sentiment behind anything said is always more important to me than the words used.

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
I take the attitude that if someone is so overly sensitive (or plain takes pleasure in kicking up a fuss) as to take offense if I use a so-called slur or "rude" word in lighthearted mutual conversation then I couldn't care less what they think. A word is just a sound you make, it's all about the context and intent.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ah, the ever-present culture of victimhood... :rolleyes:

I don't care what you think...Chris Rock's "I love black people, but I hate niggers" bit is still one of the funniest ever.

Last edited:

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For me I have to take a few things into account. Firstly who is saying it to me and in what context. I also think the manner in which something is said gives a great insight into the sentiment behind any remarks and the sentiment behind anything said is always more important to me than the words used.
Totally agree with this.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't like negative slurs either. But have got to ask... How about ''white trash", "trailer trash", "honky", "dumb blond", "bohunk", "dumb cracker", "kraut", "polack", "frog", "pommie bastard" and so on? Ever use any of those NJ? I know I do. I think some slurs, like "kike", "nigger" and "chink", are beyond the pail and hate hearing them. My mum once washed my brother's mouth out with soap for using the n-word.
I don't know what a pommie bastard is. :confused: Where I come from bohunk is a compliment as it means a very good looking and muscular man of modest means. I admit to having used the phrase white trash, trailer trash, and dumb blond. Though to be fair, dumb blond was never used with disdain.

But.. if someone says "I'm too much of a Jew to pay that much", I don't have problem with it
:yikes: Are you kidding me?:eek::confused: That's as wrong as the 'N" word! :mad: I will not tolerate anti-semitism in any form, in any place. I was almost fired from a job for speaking out against anto-semitism . . . and I'm not Jewish.

Face it, some ethnic stereotypes have an element of truth behind them, and if used humorously, especially by a member of the group in question, I think we need to bend a bit and see the lighter side of our differences.
So basically you are saying it's ok for blacks to use the 'N' word but no one else. Jews can call each other kikes, but no one else can. Hmm, perhaps if society as a whole were able to respect those unspoken rules it would be okay. But we all know that is impossible.

It's not a new thing, I'm sure the Sumerians told jokes about the Egyptians. Don't be so PC.
:rolleyes: Just because that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean it's the right way. There is a difference between being PC and being overly sensitive or being ignorant.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
..... I have never liked the "N" word and don't believe blacks can 'take back it's power' by using it as a salutation with each other. It always sounds ignorant. I tend to have a very low opinion of the blacks and whites who use it freely.

Yes, I pretty much agree. I think it greatly outmoded, derogatory, and unnecessary, and find the fact that some ('urbanized') whites refer to each other as such equally ridiculous.

I am inclined however to grant comedians some degree of "artistic license" (for want of a better word), which is WHOLLY dependent on the finesse, context, and craft with which they use it.

The danger is that some audiences may lose the message in the joke. Someone referenced Chris Rock's "I love black people but..." routine.

The whole point of the routine is the condemnation of the behaviors and attitudes of some of us ("black folk") that bring about harm to others, or that results directly or indirectly in a negative reflection upon us all (by those so inclined to generalize); to the point of distancing ourselves or relegating such "folk" as a separate entity from ourselves, in jest, at least.

However such a distinction might be lost upon those who don't (or refuse to) "get it".

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, I pretty much agree. I think it greatly outmoded, derogatory, and unnecessary, and find the fact that some ('urbanized') whites refer to each other as such equally ridiculous.

I am inclined however to grant comedians some degree of "artistic license" (for want of a better word), which is WHOLLY dependent on the finess, context, and craft with which they use it.

The danger is that some audiences may lose the message in the joke. Someone referenced Chris Rock's "I love black folk but..." routine.

The whole point of the routine is the condemnation of the behaviors and attitudes of some of us ("black folk") that bring about harm to others, or that results directly or indirectly in the negative reflection upon us all (by those so inclined to generalize); to the point of distancing ourselves or relegating such "folk" as a separate entity from ourselves, in jest, at least.

However such a distinction might be lost upon those who don't (or refuse to) "get it".
QFT! Well said. :cool:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For some demented reason I knew my comment about myself (no less) was gonna hit a raw nerve in someone needing to feed self-righteous streak in themselves and in a mood to preach the second after I hit Post Quick Reply.
I will say now I am not a self-hating Jew, a racist or anything. It was a joke. I never even use the N word. I was f'n joking and I think the OP has blown this out of proportion. I'm not aying this person does't have a point as this stuff exists in the world. I just think the OP went looking for an example of it where there was basically none. I knew this thread would pop up after certain reactions but oh well. What can I say the OP flew off the handle. Either that or someone else has a raw nerve about something. I do like to have fun sometime w/political incorrectness but so does John Waters. Sue me.
Just sayin'......just sayin' Oy vey. :D

rainbowknight

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think that a lot of us tend to forget that even though racial slurs are not in good taste, there is a concept of "free speech." So, that brings into play if it is a slur, a joke, or an attempt to be a joke.

The "that is so gay," mantra has gotten a lot of focus and is no longer "cool."

However, the more historical slurs, which have already been mentioned, have their place in America and are funny at times because they are so ignorant. One of the things that made Dave Chappelle so funny was his ability to play on slurs and racism. Anyone ever saw the episode where he was a Blind KKK guy? That was funny as hell. I believe that he used racial slurs in that sketch, but it was in jest.

To say that racial slurs never have a place is not realistic. I like Family Guy because it is an "equal opportunity offender." No one is spared.

On the on the other hand, when you are a minority in a room with one of the top military officials in the U.S. and they make a racial statement about your race (not about you), you have to pat yourself on the back for not being ignorant and pity that person in authority. Even though I have a fond appreciation for Lenny Bruce (and his art), I do not believe that the negative racial stereotypes of that era need to be vocalized.