Racial/gender slurs as jokes... no harm done?

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
I think that a lot of us tend to forget that even though racial slurs are not in good taste, there is a concept of "free speech." So, that brings into play if it is a slur, a joke, or an attempt to be a joke.
Free speech is not the right to say anything you want, it is the right to be held accountable for it.

I'm not even American and I seem to care more about it then most people harping on about it! At the end of the day, slurs are amusing for irony value, but I don't care what you think, it'd be hard for me to wear a "Jews are great, as fertiliser" t-shirt no matter how many happy faces are painted on it.

Symphonic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Am I the only one that thinks that it is 1) NEVER ok to use a slur, even if you're dissing at your own minority 2) NEVER acceptable as a joke 3) shows how ignorant and what level of a human being you really are?
Ignorance. A word that should rarely be uttered by 90% of the population. It's not ignorant behavior if they are aware of the background and history of the term, it's stupid behavior, but let's not go into that since buzzwords are all the rage these days with you fuckin' teenies.