Racial Tensions

blkbro510

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DUDE it's ATL! Which stands for Azz Too Loose! Please don't let that city speak out for the WHOLE Black race. There's certain places, people, bars that treated me wrong because I'm black, yet I REFUSE to take it out on the race of those people.

In a deeper note, I know that these folks don't have friends out their race, and on the double side they've been hit from the "I have a preference to not date black" or something like. Which to me is a political correct way of saying I'm bigot-you've right then and there not judging the person as indivual but as collective whole.
That's why I feel that it's important THAT everyone really make friends with folks out side their race, be a mentor, be lover, fucker, something positive to someone out side our race to stop this bullshit from growing, while we make this happen, please acknowledge that they are different, that difference is beautiful (aka stop saying the phrase color blind its meaningless)

Now I would like all you guys to come to Blatino Oasis in Palm springs in May 2010! That's better place than ATL

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
First, I want to predisclose that I cringe every time a "race" topic is brought up. But, I guess there's always the hope that it may affect one person positively, and every little bit helps.

I saw it a lot when I visited some friends in Alabama. Very uncomfortable for me, and even almost caused me to leave early, because I refused to go along with it from the caucasion side.

I also had personal experience with it. Growing up, for many years, I lived in the Southern most part of Calif. In the part of the outskirts of town where we lived, the area that we lived contained 2 caucasion families (us being one), 1 Native Indian, and the rest was African American. ALL of the kids played. My best friends were in my neighborhood. I can honestly tell you that it didn't feel any different than if I was playing with someone of different hair color. Many of you are going to hate this, but the "N" word was used constantly in conversation (only pronounced with an "a" at the end), much in the same way that "Dude" or "Bud" is used. It was directed at me the same way as it was to everyone else.
In the middle of High School, we moved here. I'm not a social butterfly, so it was a big lonely change. What made it worse, was the black kids that I did try to say hi to, treated me like shit. I even got "F you white boy" in a couple of responses, just from a 1st "Hi'. It eventually got better, but I still miss the time when color of skin wasn't a determination of how people look at you. Some call that naive, I call it comfortable.
What's the answer? I seriously don't know. I have my theory's and neither side wants to hear them.

My favorite story on this subject came from my Grandma about my Dad when he was a little boy. I had called her because someone had made a racist remark to one of my friends. I don't know if anybody else can remember theirs, but that was the moment that I 1st realized that some thought someone was inferior because of skin color.
She told me that they were at church one day, and someone came up to her and said "Do you know that "M" (my Dad) is playing with a black boy?:eek:? She hadn't met him, so she didn't know. That night at dinner, G'ma asked Dad, "Is (name) black? My Dad's answer was "I dunno, I'll ask him tomorrow". Ha!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's not just in Atlanta... it's in many places in this country.
And on this very board too. But, sssssssssh! Don't say that too loudly.

If you can get racist peeps on Craigslist, you most definately can get them here on the LPSG forum. They were here since I have been on here...but they weren't as brave as they have been lately.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was able, on his second attempt, to read your entry on that other forum. Not sure why it could not have been copied and pasted here.

If a paradigm shifts, sometimes it is ours. What I mean to say is that whatever we are looking for, we will certainly find.

Not to defend anyone in Atlanta. Strangers, especially those you encounter working in the service industries, cannot know your heart. That is not to say you should be treated any differently, if they did.

I am certain there is as much racism alive and well in Atlanta, GA has any of the other states you may have visited.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
She told me that they were at church one day, and someone came up to her and said "Do you know that "M" (my Dad) is playing with a black boy?:eek:? She hadn't met him, so she didn't know. That night at dinner, G'ma asked Dad, "Is (name) black? My Dad's answer was "I dunno, I'll ask him tomorrow". Ha!

Great story.

stlbigman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know about Atlanta and their "bigoted" attitude but i want to speak on something that blkbro510 said. I know what he means about white people who say they won't date blacks, etc. I think it smacks of racism/bigotry. BUT, i kind of feel that way about asian men. I think some are attractive but I would never date an asian. blacks, hispanics, bosnians yes but no asians

junkmisc

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Word to the wise....If someone has a quarrel against you because of your lack of and/or overabundance of melanin, just ignore them. You'll worry yourself to death if you let petty issues like that bother you.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
I remember an experience i had staying with my friends in Jamaica a few years back, not in the tourist towns but in the villages, it was horrific, i could not go anywhere without a member of the family with me, i was spat at, called Honky boy, white bastard etc and even threated with violence a few times by the Jamaicans who lived there, we visited the tourist hotels for a trip out and the Jamaicans were very nice, helpful and polite, totally different, either money talks or the minority speak louder than the majority.

modest123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...but don't you know that blacks can't be racist? (sarcasm). To blkbro, what about white girls who refuse to date white men and only date black men? I would hope that you would consider them racist too. The same for black women who only date black men. They would also be racist, right? Now here's a little tougher question: what about an Andaman islander woman (and she is one of only about 5 young women left in here tribe, which is dying out). If she insisted on only dating men from her own tribe, would she also be a racist? Hey, I can already here the snickering but this is a thought experiment.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I don't know about Atlanta and their "bigoted" attitude but i want to speak on something that blkbro510 said. I know what he means about white people who say they won't date blacks, etc. I think it smacks of racism/bigotry. BUT, i kind of feel that way about asian men. I think some are attractive but I would never date an asian. blacks, hispanics, bosnians yes but no asians
why not?

whatadork

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Ehhh... yeah you're racist.

There's plenty of non racist reasons to not have dated someone of a race or have them low on your list.

1) You haven't found someone of that race physically attractive.
2) You haven't met someone of that race that you have attraction to AND that has a personality you like (and is single and likes you back, yadda yadda yadda)
3) Your friends/family are racist and it'll cause a lot of trouble to bring someone of that race home.
4) You're afraid culture differences (though there are people of all races that are 100% Americanized) will cause a lot of conflict.

And there's one racist reason to eliminate someone completely for your dating pool.

1) They're Asian/black/white/Hispanic/Native American.

I personally hope your reason for so far never dating an Asian man is because one ofthe previous 4 reasons though I kind of doubt it.

It's the fact that you said "NEVER" that pushes you from the non racist reasoning to the racist reasoning. Because you're essentially saying even if you find an Asian guy who just incites your lust like no other and he's someone you have insane amounts of fun with and can see yourself growing old with, you would still turn him down because you have a policy of NEVER dating Asians.

Eh?

rainbowknight

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Discussions about race makes us all cringe at some time or another, but it is nothing that we should shy away from. We are more similar than we are different.
I am going to go out on a limb here and defend Whatadork. Because their statement was prefaced by race, I believe that their statement was misunderstood. They were making as statement about preference and not a statement about race. I had this discussion with a friend a number of years ago.

“Asians” consist of a race of billions over people over a huge continent. So when most Americans speak of Asians, they usually think of people of Chinese descent (stereotypically). However, there are other people that consist of that demography. President Bush made this mistake when he had the female President from the Philippines for a visit – I believe that is who the foreign dignitary was. He made a comment about having an Asian person in the kitchen that was a really good cook or something that was culinary and improper to say to the leader of another country. I am only mentioning Asians because I it was mentioned in the post. I have had conversations with many friends and family members about their racial preferences concerning all races over the years. When I left the country, my grandmother told me, "Don't come back with a wife that doesn't look like you." After she explained what she meant, the explanation was not needed because I was not going to come back with a woman any way.

Now, personally I have grown to appreciate men of all races. I want my black book to look like “roll call at the United Nations.” However, I understand people who do not have such a broad point of view. In discussing race, some of us have a tendency to be hypersensitive to the issue. I am not accusing anyone who posted anything of being hypersensitive, but you do see people in the media who look for a reason to scream “Racist!” This happened recently at work when an African American male was not backed up by a Caucasian female for doing something that is not traditional but is permitted. He started spouting militant anti-Caucasian sentiments and one of my female co-workers (African American) told him to calm down and things were not as he perceived them. She let him know that it had nothing to do with race.

Race is a big issue now because we have an African American President. I do not think that any of us were really ready for the ongoing effect that criticism of the current POTUS would have on our collective minds. This week is a case in point. The POTUS is going to give a speech to school children next week. However, you have good church going Southern individuals who are threatening to keep their children from school. It is these areas of the country where race has become a big issue. African Americans see individuals not rising to their better selves when confronted with the reality that an African American is POTUS. Never mind that they have been living decades with the scars of racism, but to see things like “Barrack the Magic Negro” and the like continually adds salt to the wound.

I am not giving license of anyone from any race to be disrespectful to any race. However, I am only bringing to light a certain perspective that has not been talked about much. That is why seemingly you go to other parts of the country where traditional racial divides seem to be present, reoccurring, or overtly manifested. African Americans have seen POTUS repeatedly attacked on racial levels for over a year. If anyone is entitled to pull the “race card” it is truly him. However, he continually rises to a higher level. Well, maybe not in the case of the college professor – he did kind of loose his cool there. Impartial investigation should have been done before he rendered judgment.

Bill Maher said something that was really funny. He said something like, “who would have thought that white men with guns would lose their minds when a black man became President.” That was funny to me because we so often forget our history as Americans. However, I believe that some people know what they are doing in the media – the right wing fanatical media.

Remember the riots that happened in LA where a Caucasian male was dragged from his truck and beaten by a group of African American males. The same kind of atmosphere is being established here if continual attacks happen by the right wing media and their ilk – “birthers,” keep your kids out of school for a presidential speech day, death panels, what religion is he, etc. These people do not understand that the more that they try and make this biracial man not look like an American, the more that they alienate and anger a lot of people (Americans) who are like him – which is a large part of the population.

Hence, that is why you have the apathy that one poster was a recipient of while visiting the south. I am not saying that it is right. However, it is hard to rise to a higher level when you constantly have people putting a person that looks like you down every day. If I was with the poster, I would addressed the apathy being leveled towards him. Like some others, I am not in a part of the country where feelings toward POTUS are not negative and we do not have issues with race. I work and live in a community where it is racial nirvana.

We have people from all races that date, marry, and have biracial children. I am happy to see all of the love and diversity but there are some people who choose not to date outside of their race as a matter of personal preference. I know some personally. They have not come to this conclusion out of a lack of not attempting to be in relationships with individuals from other races, but after they have been in these relationships they did not feel fulfilled in them. I don’t knock them and they do not knock me.

I know that I have posted many things that should have been in other threads but there has been a lot said. One more thing, racism does not only happen in the south. However, that is where a lot of the media attention is concentrated on and where a lot of the stories are coming from recently.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/04/us/04school.html
http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/09/...ids-home-from-president-obamas-school-speech/
South Dakota is not a really racist state. However, the way that some of the citizens treat Native Americans there I would want a large human rights office in Rapid City or Deadwood. I just recently learned what a holocaust Pine Ridge was.

Not to be a total downer the poster who started this thread was bold and intelligent enough to start a dialog. Isn’t that what always saves the day in Sci-Fi movies when humanity is about to come to an end? Meaningful dialog always trumps solitary misunderstanding. I am not an oracle or authority, so please keep posting!!!!

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
“Asians” consist of a race of billions over people over a huge continent. So when most Americans speak of Asians, they usually think of people of Chinese descent (stereotypically).
Good post, but no, I don't think most Americans think of Asians and only think Chinese. They think of Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese. not as many will know about Cambodians, Laotians, or Malays. Not sure where Thais fall in this. There is also the sub-category of pacific islander, which Phillipinos could fall in.

A funny thing is that Indians are really Asians, but they don't think so.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Your post is an interesting one. I won't met for this hot issue. And I offer what may be pinpointed advice. Do not take it personal however it is worth a thought.

The first statement that you referred to definitely did "smack of racism." You then follow that with a line that did not only smack of racism, but was one of the most racist remarks I've seen on this board.

You apparently have a specific dislike for Asians. Also, apparently you have no similar issues toward other races. I note your profile does not yield much information. Almost everyone here will soon you to be a white male and most likely more than 50% gay. As such, or whatever your position is, as Asians apparently present the issue, there almost certainly must be a specific reason for that attitude. You don't necessarily need to explain it to the group. However, it is worth the asking.

Just my two cents worth. Just