Racial Tensions

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
< That was funny to me because we so often forget our history as Americans. However, I believe that some people know what they are doing in the media &#8211; the right wing fanatical media. Are this >

Well said, most Americans, however, remember our history all too well. Sad to say that history is one of shooting presidents and lynching black men. Your media pundits, and that includes CNN at least to some degree, are well aware of the effect of their words. The playing field has become even more skewed for the bigots and gun carriers with the election of a black president. That mindset is very predictable. It does not take very much accelerant to get that forest fire blazing. One can never know when or where some unknown gun carrying, mentally deranged bigot will feel the mandate.

I wonder, how that can be countered. There does not appear to be a logical, reasonable or positive way of confronting that kind of thing. These kind of people have no respect for the truth or any idea that they have not believed all their lives. Are there any suggestions for countering this attitude?

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
rainbowknight; These people do not understand that the more that they try and make this biracial man not look like an American, the more that they alienate and anger a lot of people (Americans) who are like him – which is a large part of the population. >

Somehow, I don't think the biracial's are much of a threat right now.

Hence, that is why you have the apathy that one poster was a recipient of while visiting the south. I am not saying that it is right. However, it is hard to rise to a higher level when you constantly have people putting a person that looks like you down every day. If I was with the poster, I would addressed the apathy being leveled towards him. Like some others, I am not in a part of the country where feelings toward POTUS are not negative and we do not have issues with race. I work and live in a community where it is racial nirvana.

Where is that?

Not to be a total downer the poster who started this thread was bold and intelligent enough to start a dialog. Isn’t that what always saves the day in Sci-Fi movies when humanity is about to come to an end? Meaningful dialog always trumps solitary misunderstanding. I am not an oracle or authority, so please keep posting!!!!

Again, Well said.

blkbro510

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you guys know me from my threads, I love all races and feel that EVERYONE shouldn't be limiting themselves.

To anyone who is just stuck on dating one race your goign to be missing out (also the way I see it, we as black men are in limited numbers anyways so pick one up ASAP)and sooner or later you'd either discover there's races out there with dicks just as big or bigger or have that thug appeal (John Cena). You don't want to be old as dirt and think to yourself that you've made a mistake because that person was from another race.

This steem from a bigger issue-White folks, 1. don't take it the wrong the way and 2. how you've been treated by other races is both wrong and doesn't help with relationships, but there are still some issues in the past and current that has to be address. It's going to be an on going thing, but it's important that ALL parties want to make it work.

Here's the one thing that folks don't get, fine if you find someone from a race that you want, but please don't put that on your kids, because if you look around, we're all mixed and mixing it up!

Here's a little example of great race relations :wink:
part 1
KnPhilly's Place | Satisfaction Guaranteed!
part 2
KnPhilly's Place | Satisfaction Guaranteed!

...but don't you know that blacks can't be racist? (sarcasm). To blkbro, what about white girls who refuse to date white men and only date black men? I would hope that you would consider them racist too. The same for black women who only date black men. They would also be racist, right? Now here's a little tougher question: what about an Andaman islander woman (and she is one of only about 5 young women left in here tribe, which is dying out). If she insisted on only dating men from her own tribe, would she also be a racist? Hey, I can already here the snickering but this is a thought experiment.

blkbro510

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Talking about race is scary, but man what's scarier is never talking about and letting stay inside our heads and have it grow into a monster.

When with someone I always say "I don't want you to love all men like me. Just love me. Hold me and don't let me go, just let me know I'm yours. Let me smell you...kiss you...yeah that's me it's saying it's happy to see you too..."

Discussions about race makes us all cringe at some time or another, but it is nothing that we should shy away from. We are more similar than we are different.
I am going to go out on a limb here and defend Whatadork. Because their statement was prefaced by race, I believe that their statement was misunderstood. They were making as statement about preference and not a statement about race. I had this discussion with a friend a number of years ago.

“Asians” consist of a race of billions over people over a huge continent. So when most Americans speak of Asians, they usually think of people of Chinese descent (stereotypically). However, there are other people that consist of that demography. President Bush made this mistake when he had the female President from the Philippines for a visit – I believe that is who the foreign dignitary was. He made a comment about having an Asian person in the kitchen that was a really good cook or something that was culinary and improper to say to the leader of another country. I am only mentioning Asians because I it was mentioned in the post. I have had conversations with many friends and family members about their racial preferences concerning all races over the years. When I left the country, my grandmother told me, "Don't come back with a wife that doesn't look like you." After she explained what she meant, the explanation was not needed because I was not going to come back with a woman any way.

Now, personally I have grown to appreciate men of all races. I want my black book to look like “roll call at the United Nations.” However, I understand people who do not have such a broad point of view. In discussing race, some of us have a tendency to be hypersensitive to the issue. I am not accusing anyone who posted anything of being hypersensitive, but you do see people in the media who look for a reason to scream “Racist!” This happened recently at work when an African American male was not backed up by a Caucasian female for doing something that is not traditional but is permitted. He started spouting militant anti-Caucasian sentiments and one of my female co-workers (African American) told him to calm down and things were not as he perceived them. She let him know that it had nothing to do with race.

Race is a big issue now because we have an African American President. I do not think that any of us were really ready for the ongoing effect that criticism of the current POTUS would have on our collective minds. This week is a case in point. The POTUS is going to give a speech to school children next week. However, you have good church going Southern individuals who are threatening to keep their children from school. It is these areas of the country where race has become a big issue. African Americans see individuals not rising to their better selves when confronted with the reality that an African American is POTUS. Never mind that they have been living decades with the scars of racism, but to see things like “Barrack the Magic Negro” and the like continually adds salt to the wound.

I am not giving license of anyone from any race to be disrespectful to any race. However, I am only bringing to light a certain perspective that has not been talked about much. That is why seemingly you go to other parts of the country where traditional racial divides seem to be present, reoccurring, or overtly manifested. African Americans have seen POTUS repeatedly attacked on racial levels for over a year. If anyone is entitled to pull the “race card” it is truly him. However, he continually rises to a higher level. Well, maybe not in the case of the college professor – he did kind of loose his cool there. Impartial investigation should have been done before he rendered judgment.

Bill Maher said something that was really funny. He said something like, “who would have thought that white men with guns would lose their minds when a black man became President.” That was funny to me because we so often forget our history as Americans. However, I believe that some people know what they are doing in the media – the right wing fanatical media.

Remember the riots that happened in LA where a Caucasian male was dragged from his truck and beaten by a group of African American males. The same kind of atmosphere is being established here if continual attacks happen by the right wing media and their ilk – “birthers,” keep your kids out of school for a presidential speech day, death panels, what religion is he, etc. These people do not understand that the more that they try and make this biracial man not look like an American, the more that they alienate and anger a lot of people (Americans) who are like him – which is a large part of the population.

Hence, that is why you have the apathy that one poster was a recipient of while visiting the south. I am not saying that it is right. However, it is hard to rise to a higher level when you constantly have people putting a person that looks like you down every day. If I was with the poster, I would addressed the apathy being leveled towards him. Like some others, I am not in a part of the country where feelings toward POTUS are not negative and we do not have issues with race. I work and live in a community where it is racial nirvana.

We have people from all races that date, marry, and have biracial children. I am happy to see all of the love and diversity but there are some people who choose not to date outside of their race as a matter of personal preference. I know some personally. They have not come to this conclusion out of a lack of not attempting to be in relationships with individuals from other races, but after they have been in these relationships they did not feel fulfilled in them. I don’t knock them and they do not knock me.

I know that I have posted many things that should have been in other threads but there has been a lot said. One more thing, racism does not only happen in the south. However, that is where a lot of the media attention is concentrated on and where a lot of the stories are coming from recently.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/04/us/04school.html
http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/09/...ids-home-from-president-obamas-school-speech/
South Dakota is not a really racist state. However, the way that some of the citizens treat Native Americans there I would want a large human rights office in Rapid City or Deadwood. I just recently learned what a holocaust Pine Ridge was.

Not to be a total downer the poster who started this thread was bold and intelligent enough to start a dialog. Isn’t that what always saves the day in Sci-Fi movies when humanity is about to come to an end? Meaningful dialog always trumps solitary misunderstanding. I am not an oracle or authority, so please keep posting!!!!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of my friends who lived in rural GA told me they have separate entrances at a McDonalds for blacks and whites where he was.
He lied, that hasn't been true since about 1961. :rolleyes: :duh:

I don't go into Atlanta proper much unless it's to go to the doctor or Trader Joes. I haven't noticed any racist attitudes form the few white people that I encounter; but I have from some of the other blacks. By other blacks I mean the ones not born here, the Africans or Carribean islanders. I have no clue what the issue is but I always get attitude from them as if I am beneath them and shouldn't be breathing their air. :irked:

Another thing I've noticed is that many of the Katrina refugees who settled in the Atlanta metro area are...unkind for lack of a better word. Black and white alike they seem to have lost their humanity in the flood. I guess it's a form of PTSD. :frown1:

badgirl1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:confused:

I don't go into Atlanta proper much unless it's to go to the doctor or Trader Joes. I haven't noticed any racist attitudes form the few white people that I encounter; but I have from some of the other blacks. By other blacks I mean the ones not born here, the Africans or Carribean islanders. I have no clue what the issue is but I always get attitude from them as if I am beneath them and shouldn't be breathing their air. :irked:
I have encountered the same thing from most of the Africans I have met. Some of them have actually told me that they felt they are better than us.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:confused: I have encountered the same thing from most of the Africans I have met. Some of them have actually told me that they felt they are better than us.
I have had a number of Africans tell me they thought American born blacks were stupid because our ancestors were dumb enough to be caught and sold into slavery. :261: What about the Africans who solde there own people to the white slave traders? When you mention that they shut up.

When I was younger I would often seek out people from other countries just because I like learning about different cultures and countries. I stopped reaching out to Africans after I had been insulted a few times though.

Weirdest racial compliment I ever received: Came from a Trinidadian roommate. She said she thought I was Jamaican, because I worked so hard. She had never seen an American black work as hard as I did. :irked: :rolleyes: :frown1: At the time I was taking 18 credits and had two part time jobs. :cool:

blkbro510

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah that's crazy ain't it. They never came back for us (american blacks, carribeans, central americans, south americans) but after 500 years they can come to the country, benefit from the civil rights wars of our forefathers (including the Whites, Latinos, Asians and everyone else who fought after equal rights after the Civil War), and have the never to turn their nose in the air.

Telling you folks racism is crazy, comes in all forms, and the fight ain't over.

We have call each other out on our shit!

:confused: I have encountered the same thing from most of the Africans I have met. Some of them have actually told me that they felt they are better than us.

blkbro510

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah I can see that happening, I get treated alot differently and even sometimes better from folks of another race when they find out I'm caribbean or think I'm mix black. They are nicer or something, like I don't come from that stain of slavery.

When actually everyone has a stained of slavery on them. Look into history--endanger servants. Even though you were owned for a certain peroid of time (7 to 10 years), but only god knows what happen to that person during those years. I'm still waiting for someone to do a documentry and write novels about that type of salvery!

I have had a number of Africans tell me they thought American born blacks were stupid because our ancestors were dumb enough to be caught and sold into slavery. :261: What about the Africans who solde there own people to the white slave traders? When you mention that they shut up.

When I was younger I would often seek out people from other countries just because I like learning about different cultures and countries. I stopped reaching out to Africans after I had been insulted a few times though.

Weirdest racial compliment I ever received: Came from a Trinidadian roommate. She said she thought I was Jamaican, because I worked so hard. She had never seen an American black work as hard as I did. :irked: :rolleyes: :frown1: At the time I was taking 18 credits and had two part time jobs. :cool:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
There was no reason for the lie, so I have to say it is true. This was about 150 miles SE of Atlanta. There might not be signs, it may just be custom.

Since there is still at least one school in the south which hold separate proms, anything is possible.

modest123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There was no reason for the lie, so I have to say it is true. This was about 150 miles SE of Atlanta. There might not be signs, it may just be custom.

Since there is still at least one school in the south which hold separate proms, anything is possible.

There seem to be as many blacks who favor segregation as there are whites. How many black sororities, fraternities, clubs, organizations etc. are strictly for blacks? I don't blame them for it; it's natural to want to be among your own. Whites, Hispanics, Asians etc. have that same right. It's called "freedom of association".

butch518

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am proud to say my black book is like a roll call of the UN. The way I see it, if the guy is goodlooking and someone I can get along with, who cares about the skin color. Its more about the person themself then anything. Guess I was lucky when growing up my parents had friends of all races and economic backgrounds. But I do have friends who say to me, why are you friends with him, he's fat, old, black, asian, etc. And ones that are interested in dating other races, but are afraid of what other people may say, or there afraid they will get labeled as someone who only dates blacks or asians. I figure if you accept me, then accept who I date. There is a whole world of people out there, why miss out on the right person because of skin color.

blkbro510

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Alot of those black sororities and fraternities have been open to Whites! Even the NATIONAL PRESIDENTS and or leaders of these greek houses were/are WHITE (this is so recent.)! I think one of them made it on the cover of Ebony or Jet magazine!

And as for Hispanics and Latinos (yeah there's a difference so I'm respecting them) and Asians they are the GROWING population at Black colleges (or even majority) there, so they have access to the frats and have joined.
No one is truly excluded, but JUST LIKE any other frats not everyone make it in.

There seem to be as many blacks who favor segregation as there are whites. How many black sororities, fraternities, clubs, organizations etc. are strictly for blacks? I don't blame them for it; it's natural to want to be among your own. Whites, Hispanics, Asians etc. have that same right. It's called "freedom of association".

D_Maurice Mountlilly

Account Disabled
Media

here in philly i get that all the time!!!
it's bad enough i had to deal with it growing up from whites,but racisim over all just SUCKS!!(yes i'm yellin')
i've lost friends from peer pressure,other whites would say to my friends stop hangin' out with that "porch monkey!"
and on the relationship front, the love of my life(not my current ex gf i just broke up with in the pics from my gallery)felt the same type of pressure from her family(she's from north dakota...yeah i know north dakota)never mind that we were a perfect match mind,body,and soul..all her family cared about was how dark i was(her mom even asked her on the phone in front of me one time."is he black black or light black?")
it's really no use to get worked up over it because it's nothin' i can do about it..but when i found out she was getting married i had to find out through some fucked up second hand communication through other people,it drove me crazy! i was numb for a whole week!
i'm still fucked up over it,and i've considered therapy but what can be done? i've lost all hope of ever settling down after i've spent time in a relationship her,because i know i'll never love or have such an in common connection with any other woman ever!

modest123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Alot of those black sororities and fraternities have been open to Whites! Even the NATIONAL PRESIDENTS and or leaders of these greek houses were/are WHITE (this is so recent.)! I think one of them made it on the cover of Ebony or Jet magazine!

And as for Hispanics and Latinos (yeah there's a difference so I'm respecting them) and Asians they are the GROWING population at Black colleges (or even majority) there, so they have access to the frats and have joined.
No one is truly excluded, but JUST LIKE any other frats not everyone make it in.

We're still waiting for them to allow whites into the Congressional Black Cock-us".

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There seem to be as many blacks who favor segregation as there are whites. How many black sororities, fraternities, clubs, organizations etc. are strictly for blacks?
Those sororities and fraternities were started about 100 years ago because blacks were not allowed entry into the "white" colleges, sororities or fraternities.
I don't blame them for it; it's natural to want to be among your own.
Well gee, thanks. :smile: That's mighty white of you. :biggrin1: :rolleyes:
Whites, Hispanics, Asians etc. have that same right. It's called "freedom of association".

modest123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Those sororities and fraternities were started about 100 years ago because blacks were not allowed entry into the "white" colleges, sororities or fraternities.
Well gee, thanks. :smile: That's mighty white of you. :biggrin1: :rolleyes:

You're welcome - but I'm actually not white :rolleyes: Hey, wait a minute... this means I'm actually a "people of color". YAY!! Bow down before me ye white masses!!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're welcome - but I'm actually not white :rolleyes: Hey, wait a minute... this means I'm actually a "people of color". YAY!! Bow down before me ye white masses!!
Hey, it was an honest mistake. :yes: No pics, minimal profile info, and minimal knowledge of black American history. :rolleyes::tongue:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My grandparents were racist. There's no two ways about it, but that's just how they were brought up. Fortunately, my parents were much more enlightened and made sure that we were brought up knowing that skin colour doesn't make anyone better or worse than anyone else.

The community I grew up in was almost 100% white. There was one black girl in school with me and about half a dozen Pakistanis and one HK Chinese girl, so we didn't really get much exposure to other races and cultures except on TV. However, when I went to university, there were people there from all over the world. I'd read about other places, languages and cultures and wanted to learn more, so I tried to get to know people in my classes and accommodation, but quite often was rebuffed, sometimes quite rudely. It's a bit off-putting to say hi to someone in passing and be told to "fuck off, white boy," but that's the attitude some people have. It exits on all sides, and until people get rid of the chips on their shoulders, it's not going to improve.

I'm happy to say that I currently have a lot of good friends from all over the world, people of all colours and most religions. At the end of the day, what's important to me about a person is whether or not I get along with them. When it comes to sex, I don't see race as a bar. There are people I fancy and people I don't. I find some black guys, asian guys and oriental guys attractive, but not all. However, I can say the same for white guys too. Actually, I can say that for women as well. I've never understood how a person's skin colour is going to make them a better lover. What really bugs me is that I have a couple of black friends who, when I've been out with them, have been abused by black people for hanging out with a white guy.

As I see it, there's a lot of racial prejudice on all sides. The trouble is it seems to be getting more entrenched. I think people are scared to actually discuss anything that might offend other people these days at the risk of falling foul of all this PC bullshit, not to mention the risk of being sued. What's wrong with just treating people as people? To hell with race, colour and religion. If someone refuses to speak to me because they don't like me as a person or disagree with my attitude and morals, that's fine. I don't have a problem with that, but if they even refuse to make the attempt to get to know me in the first place becasue I've got pale skin with blonde hair and blue eyes, then I'm offended.