Racism as mental illness?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think that it is natural for everyone to have some small degree of fear/dislike/discomfort of those different from themselves; that's not mental illness.

When it is extreme, as in the case of fred phelps or david duke, I think it is definitely pathological, and a choice.

The claims that when it's so ingrained from birth that it's nearly impossible to change are just cop-out. Every individual, when he reaches an age of being capable of critical thought, is responsible for examining his own belief systems for strengths and weaknesses. When you see that your own beliefs have strength, you reinforce them. When you see that they are flawed, you modify them.

I was raised in a non-racist, but very religious environment. When I was old enough to start examining my world view, I realized that the religion didn't make much sense, and was counter-productive. My family was not terribly happy that I renounced christianity, but that was just the way things were.

Anyone who clings to racist beliefs is weak-willed and purposefully ignorant. It is pathological, but it's also a conscious choice to remain that way.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Getting pepperoni & mushrooms on my pizza is a choice; being racist is not.

If it's not a choice, what do you think it is (you hint at ingrained behaviour but that's a bit simplistic don't you think)? I ask because you categorically refute that it can be a pathology.

As a trivial diversion to illustrate the danger in blanket statements concerning human social behaviour, consider this: How do you define irrational or illogical behaviour - If you say it's a choice then surely racism is a choice too - after all it's irrational and illogical behaviour. Alternatively, if it's an illness then your denial (a bullshit tactic) of the premise of this thread (that racism could in some circumstances be an illness) is therefore illogical. Ergo, you are mentally ill.:tongue:

FWIW, I'm unconvinced it's an 'illness' too, except perhaps in extreme circumstances when such an illness would manifest itself in a variety of behaviours, racism being merely one of these, or so I'd expect. In most cases it seems to me that racist behaviour is a choice, perhaps often an unconcious, conditioned one as you suggest but a choice all the same.

I suspect most of those who behave irrationally in this regard recognise that irrationality. These people may fall out into three or four main groups;

1. Those who modify their behaviour and go on to form new patterns of thought.
  2. Those who moderate their behaviour yet remain forever 'racist' in their hearts and minds (the worst kind, IMO).
  3. Those who decide (choose) to continue the way they are and, finally,
  4. Those who 'cannot' change.
Perhaps this last group don't understand the problem and can be educated, or perhaps they are, genuinely ill, though hopefully not beyond real help. I'm not a clinician and this is all just theory of course.

I think you may have forgotten a key component . . . fear. The root of all prejudice and racism is fear, it just morphs into hate. :rolleyes:

I'd generally considered ignorance to be a defining feature of fear which in turn may lead to predjuice, even hate. Fear (apprehension, whatever) of the unknown or different is an element of human nature on a basic level. Our ability to overcome ignorance with knowledge and transcend fear with logic is one the things that marks us out as a species.

I also disagree that fear is a necessary component of predjudice or dislike, though I'll agree it's a common one. On your pizza theme, I dislike anchovies on my pizza with some veracity, but I'm not afraid of them and I'll never hate them. I don't believe human behaviour is quite so easily categorised as you (or I) may wish to believe.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Personally I think racism is taught and it is usually taught out of fear and/or anger. I've used this phrase before:

How do you know what you know? Your mama taught you.

Racism can be suggested to a mentally unstable person and their psyche could run with it and build on it, but I hardly think it is in itself mental illness. I harken back to the statements of Byron De La Beckwith who is the convicted shooter of Medgar Evers. He genuinely believed that black people were inferior and that we were incapable of thought on the same level as white people as they were a pure race and we were not.

Seriously a confused man and that had nothing to do with mental illness as he was found sane to stand trial.

The irony of his statement however is that if you look at slave culture, it was his "pure" race that that began the process of "watering down" our black race.

Funny the lies people convice themselves of to justify their crimes.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good points, Osiris, but the fact that he was found competent to stand trial doesn't mean he isn't mentally ill.

I think there's a distinction between someone who simply prefers the company of "their own kind" and someone who thinks it's their job to exterminate people who are different. Regardless of any other factors, someone like that is obviously mentally ill, as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't, however, excuse them from responsibility for their actions. That goes for anyone with that kind of hatred/phobia, whether it's against other races, religions, genders, or sexual orientations.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've said myself that a liking for someone who's similar to yourself isn't racism, it's a natural preference, the black people who are friends of mine have a similar background and set of values, I don't think I'd have much in common with a black rapper but I don't think I'd have much in common with Eminem either.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've said myself that a liking for someone who's similar to yourself isn't racism, it's a natural preference, the black people who are friends of mine have a similar background and set of values, I don't think I'd have much in common with a black rapper but I don't think I'd have much in common with Eminem either.
But that's pretty much the point I've been trying to make. You may prefer the company of people with similar background and values, but I doubt that would lead you to hatred of those who aren't from similar background. I can't help but think there's some mental dysfunction when someone thinks that those differences are a reason for hatred or violence or murder.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But that's pretty much the point I've been trying to make. You may prefer the company of people with similar background and values, but I doubt that would lead you to hatred of those who aren't from similar background. I can't help but think there's some mental dysfunction when someone thinks that those differences are a reason for hatred or violence or murder.

I agree with both aspects of what you're saying (in the context of what I said above), but it's surprising and depressing how many people read sinister motives into innocuous behaviour. :rolleyes:

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I'd think so. (Sorry I didn't read everyones replies). I think that anyone who believes that they are better than another person based on skin colour is sick. But then you have to wonder... someone had to once tell them that they were "better than that race" because people generally don't get negative connotations as such.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont' believe that racists are sick. I think that you can use mental illness as a defense to your action (and as a defense to a crime) if it robs of the ability to understand the nature and consequences of your acts. I think racist people feel that they are justified in what they are doing. I even think that you can argue that there reasoning is not irrational...i.e., it is based upon selfishness, greed and suspicion. While these beliefs are unsavory, often dispicable and lead to horrible deeds, they are not the same as believing that and alien just landed in your back yard and is holding your family hostage unless you kill your neighbors. Further, to treat them as mental illness would just give these people an out, a somewhat sympathetic exuse for their behaviour. I have no sympathy for racists (and I am not suggesting that anyone else here has any, either) so I have not interest in letting them ride the "insanity train" to freedom.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont' believe that racists are sick. I think that you can use mental illness as a defense to your action (and as a defense to a crime) if it robs of the ability to understand the nature and consequences of your acts. I think racist people feel that they are justified in what they are doing. I even think that you can argue that their reasoning is not irrational...i.e., it is based upon selfishness, greed and suspicion. While these beliefs are unsavory, often dispicable and lead to horrible deeds, they are not the same as believing that an alien just landed in your back yard and is holding your family hostage unless you kill your neighbors. Further, to treat them as mentally ill would just give these people an out, a somewhat sympathetic exuse for their behaviour. I have no sympathy for racists (and I am not suggesting that anyone else here has any, either) so I have no interest in letting them ride the "insanity train" to freedom.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Racism isn't something learnt or taught, but a belief made up for various reasons.

Reasons aren't always either right or rational. But of course you ultimately believe what you want to, which applies equally to my own rationale of thinking that racists are dumb. I simply don't find their reasoning rational, not even empirical. I see it rather as an attempt to justify their prejudice and hatred. This may be learned at the home, society in general or come from personal grievance.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd think so. (Sorry I didn't read everyones replies). I think that anyone who believes that they are better than another person based on skin colour is sick. But then you have to wonder... someone had to once tell them that they were "better than that race" because people generally don't get negative connotations as such.

And there it is. You are on the money kiddo.

Purplesaurus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What do you think?
I was just watching a "Law & Order" episode in which a white man murdered a black man. The perpetrator admitted to his racism of which he was quite proud. His attorney argued that he was not "racist" but rather mentally ill and that surely anyone who wuld kill another based on skin color is sick therefore should be treated - not punished or shun the way society first ostracized people with other mental illnesses, leprosy, and even A.I.D.S. before it was understood. I personally do not subscribe to this racism as mental illness theory, but I find it interesting. I personally think racism is hatred and that hatred is not a disease but a choice.
What do you think? Do you think racism will ever be seen or embraced as a viable mental illness/delusional disorder for which therapy and treatment can be beneficial?
I know this subject has the potential for some heated arguments, so please be courteous of one another and keep in mind that I may write an article on this subject, possibly using some responses as anonymous sources (opinions, quotations).

It will never be a mental illness. Not unless they start considering stupidity a mental illness. On the other hand evil is stupidity and should be considered a mental illenss.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What do you think?
I was just watching a "Law & Order" episode in which a white man murdered a black man. The perpetrator admitted to his racism of which he was quite proud. His attorney argued that he was not "racist" but rather mentally ill and that surely anyone who wuld kill another based on skin color is sick therefore should be treated - not punished or shun the way society first ostracized people with other mental illnesses, leprosy, and even A.I.D.S. before it was understood. I personally do not subscribe to this racism as mental illness theory, but I find it interesting. I personally think racism is hatred and that hatred is not a disease but a choice.
What do you think? Do you think racism will ever be seen or embraced as a viable mental illness/delusional disorder for which therapy and treatment can be beneficial?
I know this subject has the potential for some heated arguments, so please be courteous of one another and keep in mind that I may write an article on this subject, possibly using some responses as anonymous sources (opinions, quotations).

It extends beyond racism, but it's roots are INHERIT in the human genome. It's across all species. Human intelligence has overcome it... so the question may become is it a fault in human evolution, part of it, or a strength.... good question.