Racism as mental illness?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This thread is a petri dish for self-loathing and back patting. "Down with racism, man, right on bro!"

The Law/Order episode getting out of a crime on mental illness spans across many/all crimes.

Funny how lib Hollywood... chose this script to read:

Not a racist, just mentally ill.

When the crime should of been, not a murderer, just mentally ill.

Fuck Dan White was into Jodie Foster and fucking Twinkies... yet he killed "fag" mayor and staffer... where do you go with that shit??!!!

First, define the FULL and correct version of racism, and/or what your version you'd like to present is.

To me, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson are both one of the biggest racists in the United States, if not THE biggest, by true definition. Yet do so much good for the betterment of race relations.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a learned behaviour

It's inherit in the human genome... call it an inferior trait.. but neanderthals, thru tribes, through modern day... it's the unknown/enemy/difference/whatever... it's always been there. Maybe it will die out.... but it's not always learned.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Reasons aren't always either right or rational. But of course you ultimately believe what you want to, which applies equally to my own rationale of thinking that racists are dumb. I simply don't find their reasoning rational, not even empirical. I see it rather as an attempt to justify their prejudice and hatred. This may be learned at the home, society in general or come from personal grievance.

Dead on. :smile:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
It's inherit in the human genome... call it an inferior trait.. but neanderthals, thru tribes, through modern day... it's the unknown/enemy/difference/whatever... it's always been there. Maybe it will die out.... but it's not always learned.

I think you are talking about xenophobia rather than racism. Xenophobia may be a natural reaction to and fear of what is different and unknown. Isms, including racism, are based upon a rationale, no matter how dumb.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
To me, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson are both one of the biggest racists in the United States, if not THE biggest, by true definition. Yet do so much good for the betterment of race relations.
Please, tell me why you brought those two names into this. :confused:

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This thread is a petri dish for self-loathing and back patting. "Down with racism, man, right on bro!"

The Law/Order episode getting out of a crime on mental illness spans across many/all crimes.

Funny how lib Hollywood... chose this script to read:

Not a racist, just mentally ill.

When the crime should of been, not a murderer, just mentally ill.

Fuck Dan White was into Jodie Foster and fucking Twinkies... yet he killed "fag" mayor and staffer... where do you go with that shit??!!!

First, define the FULL and correct version of racism, and/or what your version you'd like to present is.

I am confused by your responses. In one you say this is a good question and the other says this thread is nothing more than a petri dish for self-loathing and back-patters...exactly how is that? The intent of this thread was exactly what I asked and want to know - the thoughts and opinions of others on the use of the lawyer's defense and if racism will ever be seen as a viable mental illness by society...I thought I made myself very clear that I didn't want to incite arguments.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What do you think?
I was just watching a "Law & Order" episode in which a white man murdered a black man. The perpetrator admitted to his racism of which he was quite proud. His attorney argued that he was not "racist" but rather mentally ill and that surely anyone who wuld kill another based on skin color is sick therefore should be treated - not punished or shun the way society first ostracized people with other mental illnesses, leprosy, and even A.I.D.S. before it was understood. I personally do not subscribe to this racism as mental illness theory, but I find it interesting. I personally think racism is hatred and that hatred is not a disease but a choice.
What do you think? Do you think racism will ever be seen or embraced as a viable mental illness/delusional disorder for which therapy and treatment can be beneficial?
I know this subject has the potential for some heated arguments, so please be courteous of one another and keep in mind that I may write an article on this subject, possibly using some responses as anonymous sources (opinions, quotations).[/QUOTE] First off, I do not believe racism is a mental illness or delusional disorder. Therefore I hope and pray that it never achieves the status of a disease, mental illness, or delusional disorder. To the best of my knowledge people are not born racist. It is usually something they are taught by friends and family. :angryfire2: While many racists are stupid, racism is not a genetic disorder. Racism is a choice that a person makes, it's akin to being brainwashed.

In most cases illness can be cured or treated, There is no cure or treatment for stupid.
I know, it's a shame. :frown1::mad: We can put a man on the moon, but we can't fix stupid.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's my firm belief that racism isn't something one is born with. This is something that is acquired and learned. Infants have no concept of rich vs. poor, black vs. white, Christianity vs. Islam, etc... people learn these kinds of prejudices from the people they are raised and socialize with.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's my firm belief that racism isn't something one is born with. This is something that is acquired and learned. Infants have no concept of rich vs. poor, black vs. white, Christianity vs. Islam, etc... people learn these kinds of prejudices from the people they are raised and socialize with.
I agree!

Let's not forget that black people can be A LOT more racist than white people can. Black concepts of myths like white guilt and reverse racism/racist attitudes towards whites are very common. I am black and I have noticed how A LOT of BlackAmerican people are into these concepts and ideas and love to play the victim role when it comes to their own race and blacks who strive to be educated are frequently called uncle toms, are told that they are not really black, and other worse names and things by their OWN people.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Let's not forget that black people can be A LOT more racist than white people can. Black concepts of myths like white guilt and reverse racism/racist attitudes towards whites are very common. I am black and I have noticed how A LOT of BlackAmerican people are into these concepts and ideas and love to play the victim role when it comes to their own race and blacks who strive to be educated are frequently called uncle toms, are told that they are not really black, and other worse names and things by their OWN people.

Yeah. I agree. There are prejudiced African-Americans just as there are prejudiced gay men and lesbians (I have met one lesbian couple and two gay men in my town. But they didn't last too long in the area. They moved back to West Virginia.)

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeah. I agree. There are prejudiced African-Americans just as there are prejudiced gay men and lesbians (I have met one lesbian couple and two gay men that were prejudiced racially and had racial opinions. But they didn't last too long in the area. They moved back to West Virginia.)

Edited and added: For clarity.