Racism haunts Obama

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HyperHulk, May 13, 2008.

1. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    Racism alarms Obama backers - Washington Post - MSNBC.com

Even though I grew up in America and I'm African-American and know how people can be, I still don't understand why the mere fact that Obama is Black scares or bothers so many people. Is it because people feel Blacks are inferior regardless of intelligence or achievements? I just don't understand. Can anyone explain what really bothers people about an educated Black man as President? How can Obama possibly do a worse job as President than what George Bush has done? (For that matter, short of nuking the entire earth, how could anyone do a worse job than Bush?)

If anyone could help explain this to me, I'd love to understand it more because I can't quite comprehend it.

2. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I have no problem with Obama's race. It's his middle name and Muslim connection that bothers me. Plus all the Wright stuff and his wife's attitude.

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    What Muslim connection?

4. Principessa

Gold Member

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

What is a 'Muslim connection', and what is the relevance of it?
    I'm curious as I just watched something on msnbc where 15% of people from a poll incorrectly believed Obama was a Muslim.

6. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    My personal gripe is with people relating him to Reverand White. I grew up in just as much a hateful church and I'm left quite unaffected, so I don't see his Reverand as an influencer. That may just be me speaking from experience, but I believe it's more valid than conjecture. Though it's wrong of me to think I can speak for Obama, in that respect, too.

Looking at the various political threads here, it's hard to not say some of the people against him are racist on some level.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

His middle name is Hussein. He is no relation to Saddam you ignorant ass! :mad: He is also not a Muslim. That right wing slam job has been debunked by CNN, and Snopes.com. Where do you get your news? Rupert Mudoch's lap dog aka Fox News.

He denounced Rev. Wright and broke all ties to him, in addition Rev. Wright has retired as a pastor. As for his wife's attitude, :wtf2: what are you talking about? :confused: She'll be first lady and none of your concern as I doubt she will be inviting you for lunch in the rose garden. :rolleyes: :duh:

Or is your ignorant, southern mind afraid they will serve Popeye's fried chicken and biscuits, sweet tea out of mason jars, and 7-Up Cake for dessert at the first formal dinner? :confused: :12:

See, this is why I need to be benevolent despot. Cause I would deem you, too stupid to vote. :cool:

8. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    This doesn't surprise me that much because there are some Americans that don't know where Canada is. But seriously, Obama is christian. How can you know about Wright, Obama's christian pastor and still think he's muslim?

So you picked his religion, which you got wrong, a middle name???, his pastor (who doesn't represent Obama's views) and his wife's attitude????

I'd almost rather you picked if he was Black cause racism I get (I just like to know what the racist belief behind Obama hating is), I don't get any of the stuff you picked. It's almost like people are grasping at straws to hate Obama.

9. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Flattery will get you nowhere. :tongue:

Thank God we live in a country (at least for now) where we can express our opinions without fear of being hung or executed.:usa:

10. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:

11. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Cynically, I believe that George Bush Jr's failure as a president explains how the American public can conceive of a Black man or a woman as president. Anyone who lived through 8 years of George Bush Jr., and 12 years of Reagan Bush Sr. can see the systematic erosion of the middle class through failed Republican/Neo-Conservative principles. Minorities (Blacks and women) who only marginally participated in the power structure were not responsible for this quagmire of failed Republican governance. Now, many White people who are becoming more marginalized (economically) are starting to trust those who have been historically marginalized!

12. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:

I agree with you and I'm not trying to attack you. I'm glad you shared your thoughts. I'm just wondering how you cling to opinions which are clearly based on misinformation and propaganda? If you don't like him, that's fine, but wouldn't you want your decisions to be based on the truth than on lies? Don't you owe that to your own intelligence and integrity, as well as your obligation as an american?

13. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

It isn't just the uneducated or ignorant, though. I was dating a MIT educated engineer last year, an otherwise brilliant man, who refers to Obama as "that Muslim".

There are greater issues in this country with non-Christians, and non-mainstream Christians (Romney) and a suspicion of them that, unfortunately, influences politics. In reality, the issue is capability, it doesn't matter if the President is Atheist, Anglican, Mormon, or Muslim - but many are unable to remove the religious, mainly Christian qualification due to an assumed integrity in one who adheres to Christian belief systems.

I asked nicely. :tongue:

14. Principessa

Gold Member

I already did that here.

15. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    I don't disagree with you on this. I don't think Obama or Clinton would have the chance they do now if it wasn't for Bush's colossal failures. It's also why I believe we need one of them to win. Bush has virtually destroyed America's reputation in the world and I truly think it will take the election of the most un-Bush-like people to bring America's reputation back.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

HyperHulk, I just looked at your profile and noticed you are currently in Australia. Did you ever live in the United States?

The experience of being a black person in America is probably vastly different than that of a black person in Oz, England or Turkey. My point is, I know every country has racism, but it exhibits itself differently in different countries.

17. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    it's plain and simple. some people have their minds made up about a black person before he/she speaks. media has taught us that the black man is a robber, thief, racist, drug-addict, murderer. actually statistically, white boys commit MORE crimes than young black boys, are more prone to drug use, drug-related and violent crimes. however, they're less likely to be imprisoned for those crimes (even though they commit more) than young black boys. turn on the news and who's the criminal? often a black person. it's easy for someone who hasn't experienced or doesn't feel racist to deny that it exists, but facts prove that it's alive, well, and kicking (google hate crime statistics). the fact that he once WAS affiliated with muslim actually scares people. i was on another forum where damn-near the entire thread insists that the entire religion of muslim is based on the violent, terrorist acts of a few. once again, thank the media for this that IGNORES the 76% of the world's serial killers live in the US, and are most often young white males. we simply have a tendency to see the worst in other races, while often ignoring the worst of our own. i'm not slamming anybody else, but blacks represent the largest number of prisoners, even though in most areas we commit less crimes.

18. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    Also, let's keep in mind that many people don't fundamentally vote with a sense of objectivity - balancing out the pros and cons of the candidates based on a rubric of a candidate's platform. Many people who enter the polling booth, when asked to choose a candidate, ultimately vote for the candidate with whom they identify the most.

... Those (White) people who voted Republican in 1996 to 2004, I believe, voted erroneously. They labored under the false belief that the Doles/Bush/Cheneys of the world represented their interest only because older White males represent the figure of authority. They didn't understand that the Doles/Bushes/Cheneys did not represent their interests socially nor economically. People are now starting to figure it out.

People will vote for Obama the more his words and policies start to sound "true" to the masses. One major reason why Obama's appeal has grown is that he was one of the few people to oppose the war from the Iraq very beginning, back in 2003. It took the rest of the nation 4 years and $4 trillion added to the national debt to figure out that Obama's judgment was correct!

19. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    Well that's clear but there has to be more. What I'm wondering, and I don't think you could answer this, is what does that color of skin mean?

Maybe I'm not making this understandable enough? Here's what I would like to ask the people that hate Obama so much--imagine the person you most admire in the world--the one person you respect above all others--if that person was exactly the same, except their skin was Black, would you still admire them? If they said yes, then I would want to know what they have against Obama for being Black. If they said no, then I would want to know how someone's skin tone changes them? What does being Black really mean to someone?

20. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

a lot of hype...here's Jon Stewart breaking down the "muslim" connection and laughing at them for the 1/2-assed observation.

Wait for it .. the part that goes "This, is, Huge!"

I love Jon Stewart.

Obama's middle is from his african father, Barack Hussein Obama (Sr.).

His parents divorced.

But his mother remarried an Indonesian man in Hawaii and lived in Indonesia for 4 years (from the time he was 4-8) until his mother divorced his step-father. Indonesia has a huge muslim population. That's the connection. (stunning, no?)

Last year Jan, 2007 - Foxnews ran this "muslim" upbringing, before Obama announced his candidacy. They even made it more ominous - saying he attended a muslim school, a "Madrassa" (don't ask me if I spelled it right). The hype is that "Madrassa" is Arabic for "school." *oooh* spooky. Foxnews then went on to forever referred to it as "Obama's Madrassa past" that Obama was raised as Muslim is "HUGE."

Ofcourse Foxnews didn't look at the school. So CNN went to that elementary Madrassa (school) in Indonesia. It was an ordinary secular school where teachers the wore western dress and boys and girls played on the same playground.

Draft saved Draft deleted