Racism haunts Obama

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well, some of it comes from inside the black community. Early on, Obama was losing to Clinton in the Black vote. People said Obama was not "Black" enough. People vote or do not vote for candidates because they are or are not something. In 2004, some people did not vote for Kerry because he was branded an "elitist" and Bush was just "one of the guys."

Racism in this country, why does it still exist on a large scale? There are a lot of issues. For one, some people are tired of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson that seemingly care more about their own causes and "use" African-Americans to further their agendas. Also, White people see cases such as the Duke lacrosse case where three ABSOLUTELY INNOCENT young men where railroaded, had their civil rights violated, the DA was not only disbarred and lost his job but ALSO CRIMINALLY prosecuted, and when the AG of North Carolina asks the federal government to investigate, all was quiet on the western front. Meanwhile, something like Jena occcurs and people rush in screaming bloody murder without even having all the facts.

What I personally am appalled by is the screams for repriations and the feelings of the Black community they are owed something. That is fine, but who is sticking up for the poor whites that were cast aside throughout the history of this country? While poor whites were not slaves, they basically lived and farmed land for rich landowners. They borrowed to be able to plant their own crops but could never repay the loan so they were in an endless cycle of debt. NEWSFLASH: Poll taxes and literacy tests were put in place NOT ONLY to prevent Blacks from voting, BUT ALSO to keep poor whites from voting.

And finally, the Black community does not make themselves a group worth going after. Why would republicans do anything to better the black community? To lose the vote 92-8 instead of 93-7? Republicans already have shown they can win elections without them. Democrats only show like they care about the African-American community when they know pandering to Blacks is useless because they have them locked up in elections. Why is illegal immigrants from Mexico an issue? Because Latinos make people earn their vote. Yea, more will vote democrat than republican, but it was latinos voting republican that helped GWB win the 2004 election.

Finally, Reverand Wright. Yea, you can sit in with a pastor for numerous years and not be swayed by him. However, speaking very highly of him and talking about how influential he was on your life when he is at best very disturbed is scary. If AIDS was a tool to erradicate the African-American community by the government, how in the hell is it kept a secret in this day and age when keeping secrets in the government is nearly impossible?

bosatbk

Sexy Member
Media
I'm sorry Mr. Hazelgod (which is a cool name BTW), but I disagree with you. Anyone who wants to be president of this name should make it their mission to spoon feed to the people why he/she should be president. I should never have to search for it. The biggest problem is that our country is so disassociated with the facts and the truth, that they would rather watch American Idol than find out what is really happening. That's why when someone constantly blathers about "change" all the time, no one knows are cares to find out about what he/she means. Is the change you are talking about going to raise my taxes? Is the change you are talking about going to put my nation in jeopardy for more terrorist attacks? Is the change you are talking about going to give more money and benefits to those who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions? Too bad that the "Dancing with the Stars Generation" can't figure this out.

Doug...

He does tell people where he stands. He has been on CNN with Wolf Blitzer, he has been on Fox News discussing his beliefs as well as Meet the Press along with various other debates. If you watch his speaches, especially of late, he discusses his policies in greater detail. Then lastly, his website BarackObama.com has this all laid out. So quite frankly he has given you the resources to make an educated decision, you jsut have to look, listen and read. Do not blame Obama because you do not know his positions, he has shared them time and time again.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Racism in this country, why does it still exist on a large scale? There are a lot of issues. For one, some people are tired of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson that seemingly care more about their own causes and "use" African-Americans to further their agendas.

i agree, though there are true victims of racism still, there are many blacks who cry racism when it has little or nothing to do with the situation. what needs to happen is that we need to open our fucking eyes and realize that, atleast for the past 8 years, the richer have kept getting richer (both white AND black) and the poor have been getting poorer (white and black).

the problem is poor white people go "what about us" and poor black people go "what about us" and each side is correct, the lower class is DEEPLY negelected in this country. but instead of come together, each side insists that the other is crazy and that there's only one victim. the ENTIRE LOWER CLASS is victimized in this country. whether you're white OR black, if you're broke, you'd better not have a heart attack or get in a car accident or you're fucked.

racism does exist, and it does effect some black people, but classism (i made up a word) is MORE prevelant in this country. the more i learn about politics, the less i appreciate them. but we CANNOT continue to go "you're not suffering, i am!" "NO! you're not suffering, i am". this is insensitive, ignorant and it's keeping the lower class from getting the helping hand it so sorely needs. what people fail to realize is that while poor people are arguing over who has it worse, millionaires are resting in their offices that we pay for, eating their fancy dinners we get paid minimum wage to prepare, and laughing at us and this civil war over who's crazy and who's really a victim and who's making it up and who's paranoid about racism.

do you get it?? while we're busy fighting over obama and hillary, the rich are making sure they're voting for someone who's gonna keep them rich.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Also, I don't understand how you can see how white people are racist against O'Bama. After all, he isn't really black after all.....just half black. Aren't the black who vote 91% for O'Bama the real racists? Aren't they the ones who are voting color instead of issues? Of course, the New York Times and Washington Post won't tell you that.....will they?

Hold it right there... http://www.aaregistry.com/detail.php?id=3041
Here's a quote: When his presidency ended in January 2001, Clinton's approval rating was eight-seven percent of African Americans and just 45 percent of whites viewed Clinton favorably. Part of Clinton's backing by African Americans has to do with the fact that, though he was reared in the still-often-racist South, some of his most prominent friends were black. He filled the senior ranks of his administration with black officials, stood up in favor of affirmative-action programs (when Republicans sought to dismantle them), by discussing racial issues repeatedly, publicly, and demonstrating his prodigious intellect.

These so-called "racist" black people supported Bill Clinton heavily in 1992 & 1996. He was also the first white person to be inducted into the Arkansas Black Hall of Fame in 2002. You think these same people are now being racist for voting Obama? Even you can't believe that. The main reason why some of them are voting for Obama in 2008 is because he's more like them than Hillary is. They look at Obama and see someone that they can relate to. And they also see a chance to make history by electing the first black president.

I'm certain that if Obama wasn't running, Clinton would be getting a lot of the black vote now. But it makes sense for black people to be doing what they're doing now. And no, they're not being racist. Past actions state otherwise.

D

deleted213967

many people here, not you in particular, are quick to point out and use strong words to describe...

...race in the US in archaic black vs. white terms...

The hispanic population has now overtaken the black population in this country...and counting (fast)...Did that group vote en masse for Obama? No. The majority of them did not vote for him in fact. I suspect McCain will aggressively court them too.

The Asian-American population is quite substantial also, in particular on the Left Coast...That group overwhelmingly supported HRC in California.

Those so-called "minorities" do not vote as a monolith (read minority = bho) nor should they.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
...race in the US in archaic black vs. white terms...

The hispanic population has now overtaken the black population in this country...and counting (fast)...Did that group vote en masse for Obama? No. The majority of them did not vote for him in fact. I suspect McCain will aggressively court them too.

The Asian-American population is quite substantial also, in particular on the Left Coast...That group overwhelmingly supported HRC in California.

Those so-called "minorities" do not vote as a monolith (read minority = bho) nor should they.

Bingo. Like I said earlier, all minorities except the African-American community make people earn their votes. In the general, you will see token handouts to the African-American community, but the republicans dont care because they will lose them horribly and the democrats wont care because their support in in the bag.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We need to stop looking at issues as a matter of race but socio-ecnomic status. If affirmative action was along socio-economic lines, I would support it. As it is now, I am against it.

bosatbk

Sexy Member
Media
Bingo. Like I said earlier, all minorities except the African-American community make people earn their votes. In the general, you will see token handouts to the African-American community, but the republicans dont care because they will lose them horribly and the democrats wont care because their support in in the bag.

I disagree, blacks dont give token blacks, it just so happens that blacks usually pick the lesser of two evils and pick what works best for them. Republicans dont court blacks and their policies dont do anything to help blacks hence blacks vote democratic. to call it a token handout is inappropriate. blacks vote according to what is best for them. your opinion is a very siloed view.

bosatbk

Sexy Member
Media
We need to stop looking at issues as a matter of race but socio-ecnomic status. If affirmative action was along socio-economic lines, I would support it. As it is now, I am against it.

Affirmative action is still needed whether you want it or not. Blacks today still struggle more than white males. and lets remember, affirmative action is for all minority groups, white women benefiting the most from it. race is still a huge issue, lets jsut look at this election cycle where people flat out say in exit polls that race plays a factor in their decisions.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I don't think that's what she means.
Despite the mindsets of some black people who would not judge Rice for not supporting Affirmative Action, there are several who would. This view comes from people who are worse off than those who may have grew up like Condolezza; those whose economic & social class is so low on the totem poll that they need all the help they can get. Some of these people have grown to become so discouraged with the way things are run, they feel as if they have nothing to look forward to and lose the drive to succeed. And yes, they do look at the people who are in office like Condoleeza who do have power and see hope. They want to see her as a woman who is just like them. However, when these people see someone of power who is supposed to be "for the people", who claims that they understand the pain & suffering of the poor then does (or says) something that goes completely against that belief, they're going to get angry.

To some black people, it looks hypocritical for a black woman to get to a position of power, then vote against the same policy that probably got her there to begin with. And I can understand why they feel that way. It's not enough to tell some people to stay positive and keep moving forward. If they feel as if they're stuck in a situation that they can't escape, it's going to take a lot more than the image of politician of the same skin tone to motivate them. They need to see actions that support poor people, and people that go against Affirmative Action is one that doesn't support them.

This view may also come from some black people who have grown up in similar economic and social circumstances as Ms. Rice. Those of us who acknowledge that yes, one can pull oneself up by one's own bootstraps, can succeed by one's own will and determination, but who still frown upon those of us who reach high places and then work to undermine and/or discredit the institutions (i.e. Affirmative Action) that may have directly (or even indirectly) helped pave their way at some point in their career.

Even if they don't believe it (A.A.) helped them, or that they benefited in anyway from it - to disavow even the possibility that Affirmative Action might be still beneficial, even necessary in some instances, I think, smacks of a rather unrealistically selfish lack of vision on the part of such individuals (as Ms. Rice and Justice Thomas, another who, as I can recall, dismissed Affirmative Action as having any part in his own fortunes).

The "I got mine, now get yours" perspective that these individuals seem to have taken is, I think, not so endearing.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

that's the definition of racism my friend. you have no proof, only speculations and stereotypes that can back up a statement like this.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Because I am a white person making it? Because I am not an African-American campaigner for the Obama campaign who was making the same argument late last Tuesday night on MSNBC?

Also, speaking of double standards, how about no one making a stink about Hilary basically saying she is staying the race for the "white" vote?

On affirmative action, I disagree that minorites, blacks included, are largely getting the shaft in today's societies (but funny no one is sticking up for the Native American community, which have it much worse). I, however, dont enjoy seeing rich Black people not only getting breaks because of their economic status, but because of Affirmative Action on top of it.

Since poor-anything in this country gets the brush off the most is why I want to see it based on socio-economic status.

And I am scared to death I wont get a job and or promotion because I am a white male and will lose out to a women and/or minority. How is that for affirmative action?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Because I am a white person making it? Because I am not an African-American campaigner for the Obama campaign who was making the same argument late last Tuesday night on MSNBC?

And I am scared to death I wont get a job and or promotion because I am a white male and will lose out to a women and/or minority. How is that for affirmative action?

don't worry, as a white man it's unlikely you'll be denied anything, that's speaking statistically of course, FACT NOT OPINION. the racism in your statement implies that ONLY the black community "gives out free votes". everbody does that, not just blacks. i'd have said the same thing if a black person said "all white people give out free votes". that's racist.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Support whomever you want. And going back and reading it I realize I should have worded it better and I apologize for that. However, fact still remains that African-Americans are by in large ignored politically because neither party has nothing to gain or lose from that block of voters. If the black community would show republicans that there is even a slight chance they might vote republican, things may change.

As we're throwing out statistics, how about the fact I am over weight and statistics show that I will be turned down for a job because of it?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Support whomever you want. And going back and reading it I realize I should have worded it better and I apologize for that. However, fact still remains that African-Americans are by in large ignored politically because neither party has nothing to gain or lose from that block of voters. If the black community would show republicans that there is even a slight chance they might vote republican, things may change.

As we're throwing out statistics, how about the fact I am over weight and statistics show that I will be turned down for a job because of it?

i'll kindly accept that if you could post some references, and thankyou for recognizing the bias in your posting. once again, it sickens me that we'd rather argue about what race is voting for who and what race has a hidden agenda when CLEARLY the lower class of ALL RACES are equally disenfranchised

bosatbk

Sexy Member
Media

Wrong, repubs need to give blacks a reason to consider giving their vote.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Support whomever you want. And going back and reading it I realize I should have worded it better and I apologize for that. However, fact still remains that African-Americans are by in large ignored politically because neither party has nothing to gain or lose from that block of voters.

Blacks and other minorities that voted in 1992 & 1996 may have a different view of this.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
However, fact still remains that African-Americans are by in large ignored politically because neither party has nothing to gain or lose from that block of voters. If the black community would show republicans that there is even a slight chance they might vote republican, things may change.

Actually, while Obama & Clinton have been battling, McCain has been quietly building up a base of support as a moderate, among voters Republicans have traditionally ignored -- blacks and rural

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Read "Until Proven Innocent: Political Correctness and the Shameful Injustices of the Duke Lacrosse Case" and the fact Nifong, a democrat, totally manipulated a woman and using her race to win an election and no one but the "white" community was calling for his head says something. Reading the book, you will also understand why race relations are so strained in this country. Blacks may statistically have it harder, but college campsuses are slowly becoming very anti-white. What is it the University of Delaware had in their reeducation plan for residence life, all whites are racist and all minorities cannot be racist?

And the fact that the stripper and liar falsely accused three men of rape and didnt stand trial because she was not "mentally capable" but yet was mentally capable to recently graduate college says something...