Racism in Mexico

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Aug 28, 2010.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

I've traveled to Mexico off and on for the last 10 years or so. Mexico City, Merida and the Yucatan mostly and what strikes me is the huge disparity in wealth and politcal status of the white Castillian looking Mexicans who look European and the indigenous indians or meztisos or mixed race Mexicans.

When talking to regular Mexicans on the street or a cafe somewhere they blatently deny any racism in Mexico yet most of the illegal imigrants coming into the US are meztisos and I can only believe they risk their lives because they have no or little chance to get ahead in Mexico.

It seems rather obvious to a white American that there is blatant social injustice in Mexico against people who look indian. All the while white looking elites I strike up casual conversations in Mexico City around Polanco and San Angel say there is no racism in Mexico.

Is there some social convention in Mexico that it's better to look like a colonizer from Spain than be born a meztisos? Have these white people who rule and run the country institutionalized racism in Mexico since colonial times and there is NO social justice or place for Indian looking Mexicans moving up the social economic ladder or a chance at gaining political power?

It seems rather odd that after hundreds and hundreds of years that Mexico has not become more integrated, modernized and less racist. Odd unless the Castillian colonizers still rule the country - socially and economically, which I suspect is the case. Why hasn't there been a country wide revolt not just localized in Chiapas and Oxacca?

#1 earllogjam, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. earllogjam

Gold Member

Wow, no one with any comments on this huh? No Mexicans here? WTF

3. big_tits4big_dicks

big_tits4big_dicks New Member

White skin seems to be prized around a lot of the world. Asia and India they hide from the sun, use bleaching creme. Dark skin means you work in the sun = low class, so not beautiful in their eyes. I personally like my dark Mediterranean features. Here in CA there is a wide range of beauty. At least, in my rose tinted world I see a lot of looks appreciated.

4. _Edu

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, I just can say México city is one of the most contrasting places I've ever seen in my life (I'm very young, but that's how I see it) All is mixed in one place, literally; I really think there is racisim but it totally depends on how you were educated, I've came up with sooo many differences within people and it just doesn't stand for the "looks", generalizations are not good.

And you've said what is the most common form of racisim: Inmigrants, they need to leave, becuase the rural sector in the country is completely abandoned and most of them doensnt have the chance to access higher leves of studies, and here, just a simple position inside a company is really hard to get.

I'm having a hard time trying to express myself, but the ones that say that racisim doesnt exisit in México: or they aren't well educated or they don't care and as long as they live confortable, they are happy.

I think the best solution for this is to take a plan to support rural sector & to really take advantge of the talent here, this will give the opportunity to open new chances for the country to improve, because when someone has the abilty to help, this person doesnt stays in the country and the benefits of the talent aren't used here... And the last one and i think I've said it thousands times, its the education! But not just provide education, they have to convince that this will be useful for everyone and this will be the root of the solution of many problems the country is facing.

Finally, one of the obstacles, is the goverment itself; they just look for powr and money instead of really helping, when theres a big problem thay suddenly focus on other things so the ppl wont get the atteintion to the original issue... for example: Swine flu, they used this to increase the tax rate during the recesion, they did it when we all were inside of our houses not beign able to do anything and there was no way to complain.

#4 _Edu, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted