Racism Linked to Religious Dogmatism

One of my closest friends in college loved playing basketball, rap music, women with big butts, watermelon, and soul food. I wasn't into any of that. He is white and I am black. Everyone used to say that our souls were switched at birth.

2 slices huh? I'm always down with those with healthy "appetites":cool22:

I can relate to that. Well, I actually do love soul food and hip hop (not rap)but I digress. Now, about this alleged pie...:tongue:

It's because we have a black President that racism is more visible nowadays.
As for Michael Steele, IMO he was made chairman because it's easier to hide behind him when cries of racism are leveled at the RNC.

I've always seen Michael Steele's ascension to the head of the RNC as a bit suspect. Had Obama not been elected as President, would the RNC even had considered putting him in that position? Personally, I put it up there with the Sarah Palin being chosen as the VP candidate after it was revealed that Obama didn't choose Clinton. Seems like pandering, if you ask me. Too bad it didn't work. So, I won't tell you what I think Mr. Steele really is...

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can relate to that. Well, I actually do love soul food and hip hop (not rap)but I digress. Now, about this alleged pie...:tongue:
All I can say is that it is sweet, warm, and might appetizing:mischievous:

I've always seen Michael Steele's ascension to the head of the RNC as a bit suspect. Had Obama not been elected as President, would the RNC even had considered putting him in that position? Personally, I put it up there with the Sarah Palin being chosen as the VP candidate after it was revealed that Obama didn't choose Clinton. Seems like pandering, if you ask me. Too bad it didn't work. So, in essence, I won't tell you what I really think Mr. Steele is...
What could Mr. Steele be?
1) A character from South Park
2)Aunt Sarah's husband Thomas
3)Both one an two

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Racism is a belief or perception or doctrine. Politics is the science of political government. Political government as it relates to governing/foreign policy/elections, etc.

Racism is a cultural/ethnic phenomenon that, at times, is present - but far from a definition of politics.

While I am not dismissing that racism exists, I am stipulating that it does not need to be involved in each and every issue and discussion within the Poli forum.

Let's give up racism in Poli for Lent. After all, we do have a black president. Racism can't be that big of a force nowadays.

FYI, RNC chairman is black.
I'm going to disagree. Yes we have a Black President but I think overt racism is even more prevalent now. It was always there just under the surface. The election of a Black President has ripped the band-aid off and the festering wound of racism in this country has been exposed.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's because we have a black President that racism is more visible nowadays.
As for Michael Steele, IMO he was made chairman because it's easier to hide behind him when cries of racism are leveled at the RNC.

Okay - then there is no way to win. If the chair was white - the RNC would be racist because it doesn't have black leadership.

Since it does have black leadership, it is simply a smoke and mirror act to hid behind him since the RNC is racist.

They can't win. Either way, they are racists.

What could Mr. Steele be?
1) A character from South Park
2)Aunt Sarah's husband Thomas
3)Both one an two

I choose 4) None of the above.

He's a puppet who doesn't know he's being used. Or maybe he does.

Regardless, I'll bet he also likes "pie". A lotta Republicans seem to like it. So much that they go to gay bars, get drunk, search for some "pie" and try to drive back home to their wives but get arrested in the process. All after voting for anti-gay legislation.

Looks like a man could lose his mind over pie...:biggrin1:

D_Harvey Schmeckel

Sexy Member
Media
Okay - then there is no way to win. If the chair was white - the RNC would be racist because it doesn't have black leadership.

No, it was racist long before it had black leadership, is still racist under black leadership, and in neither case is its racism deducible from the skin color of its chairman.

Since it does have black leadership, it is simply a smoke and mirror act to hid behind him since the RNC is racist.

They can't win. Either way, they are racists.[/QUOTE]

Until such time as they abandon racially polarizing talking points and strategy. Regardless of the chairman's race at the time this occurs.

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I choose 4) None of the above.

He's a puppet who doesn't know he's being used. Or maybe he does.

Regardless, I'll bet he also likes "pie". A lotta Republicans seem to like it. So much that they go to gay bars, get drunk, search for some "pie" and try to drive back home to their wives but get arrested in the process. All after voting for anti-gay legislation.

Looks like a man could lose his mind over pie...:biggrin1:

I've certainly been driven over the edge by pie...many times:rolleyes:

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

No, it was racist long before it had black leadership, is still racist under black leadership, and in neither case is its racism deducible from the skin color of its chairman.

They can't win. Either way, they are racists.

Until such time as they abandon racially polarizing talking points and strategy. Regardless of the chairman's race at the time this occurs.[/QUOTE]

AMEN!!!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Gosh, I don't like watermelon. Does this mean I'm not black?Does the fact that I said gosh also diminish my blackness?

gosh is a euphemism for God!:biggrin1:

I like watermelon and am uberhonky alabaster.:confused:

Ahh, but the real clincher is do you have an uber-normous alabaster penis?

And "heck" and "frick" are euphemsisms for Hell and Fuck. Still, I tried to avoid the euphemisms and just use the word instead of the one cosmetically accepted. Oh, and do you like pie? :biggrin1:

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
can you share those polarizing 'talking points?'
Here's one way the RNC used race as an issue
ons→Political Candidates GOP attack ad draws heat for racial overtones

The Tennessee spot is denounced as more of the 'Southern strategy.'

`Breaking New Lows'

The Nation

October 24, 2006|Peter Wallsten, Times Staff Writer
WASHINGTON — A new Republican Party television ad featuring a scantily clad white woman winking and inviting a black candidate to "call me" is drawing charges of race-baiting, with critics saying it contradicts a landmark GOP statement last year that the party was wrong in past decades to use racial appeals to win support from white voters.
Critics said the ad, which is funded by the Republican National Committee and has aired since Friday, plays on fears of interracial relationships to scare some white voters in rural Tennessee to oppose Democratic Rep. Harold E. Ford Jr. Ford is locked in a tight race, hoping to become the first African American senator since Reconstruction to represent a state in the former Confederacy.
More to come

Here's one way the RNC used race as an issue
ons→Political Candidates GOP attack ad draws heat for racial overtones

The Tennessee spot is denounced as more of the 'Southern strategy.'

`Breaking New Lows'

The Nation

October 24, 2006|Peter Wallsten, Times Staff Writer
WASHINGTON — A new Republican Party television ad featuring a scantily clad white woman winking and inviting a black candidate to "call me" is drawing charges of race-baiting, with critics saying it contradicts a landmark GOP statement last year that the party was wrong in past decades to use racial appeals to win support from white voters.
Critics said the ad, which is funded by the Republican National Committee and has aired since Friday, plays on fears of interracial relationships to scare some white voters in rural Tennessee to oppose Democratic Rep. Harold E. Ford Jr. Ford is locked in a tight race, hoping to become the first African American senator since Reconstruction to represent a state in the former Confederacy.
More to come

I vividly remember that election and the commercial. Looks like the race-baiting was effective...:frown1:

StormfrontFL

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Check this out Star

Although the phrase "Southern strategy" is often attributed to liberal political commentator Kevin Phillips, he did not originate it,[1] but merely popularized it.[2] In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, he touched on its essence:
From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats

In addition to presidential campaigns, charges of racism have been made about subsequent Republican campaigns for the House of Representatives and Senate in the South. The Willie Horton commercials used by supporters of George H. W. Bush against Michael Dukakis in the election of 1988 were considered by some, including Jesse Jackson, Lloyd Bentsen, and many newspaper editors, to be racist. The 1990 re-election campaign of Jesse Helms attacked his opponent's alleged support of "racial quotas," most notably through an ad in which a white person's hands are seen crumpling a letter indicating that he was denied a job because of the color of his skin.

Herbert wrote in the same column, "The truth is that there was very little that was subconscious about the G.O.P.'s relentless appeal to racist whites. Tired of losing elections, it saw an opportunity to renew itself by opening its arms wide to white voters who could never forgive the Democratic Party for its support of civil rights and voting rights for blacks."

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
RNC chairman is black..................wonder how many chapped republican asses are out there? He does not seem to have much power does he?

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Check this out Star

Although the phrase "Southern strategy" is often attributed to liberal political commentator Kevin Phillips, he did not originate it,[1] but merely popularized it.[2] In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, he touched on its essence........:
Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand those opinions.

Also - from your link - two academic scholars which indicate the Southern strategy had to do with economics, not race:

Analysts such as Richard Johnston and Byron Shafer have argued that this phenomenon had more to do with the economics than it had to do with race. In The End of Southern Exceptionalism, political scientists Johnston of the University of Pennsylvania and Shafer of the University of Wisconsin wrote that the Republicans' gains in the South corresponded to the growth of the upper middle class in that region. They suggested that such individuals believed their economic interests were better served by the Republicans than the Democrats. According to Johnston and Shafer, working-class white voters in the South continued to vote for Democrats for national office until the 1990s. In summary, Shafer told The New York Times, "[whites] voted by their economic preferences, not racial preferences".[5]

D

deleted15807

Until such time as they abandon racially polarizing talking points and strategy. Regardless of the chairman's race at the time this occurs.

They simply cannot win (and they know this) if they do abandon it. 'Small government' will win you no elections. GGG (God, guns and gays) is all they have left.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Also - from your link - two academic scholars which indicate the Southern strategy had to do with economics, not race:

Heh... you really think there's a difference?
One is the catalyst to the other. Practically every political argument, past the smokescreens and fancy words, is about economics. Money. Who gets the funding... or in your words, "the handout". Race is just a convenient tool to make people look uglier than others when used to promote a political agenda.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Heh... you really think there's a difference?
One is the catalyst to the other. Practically every political argument, past the smokescreens and fancy words, is about economics. Money. Who gets the funding... or in your words, "the handout". Race is just a convenient tool to make people look uglier than others when used to promote a political agenda.

Of course voters are going to be concerned about economic issues.

Besides, I though you were 'sitting this one out.'

Hehe I knew you couldn't stand by on this one.:biggrin1:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Of course voters are going to be concerned about economic issues.

Besides, I though you were 'sitting this one out.'

Hehe I knew you couldn't stand by on this one.:biggrin1:

I said... "I'm just gonna sit back and watch this one play out for now." Didn't meant that it wasn't going to remain that way indefinitely. :wink: