Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Below is an email I composed and sent to administration, faculty, staff, students, tribal leaders, community leaders, youth organizations, social justice groups, etc. about a podcast that was aired degrading people of color. You can read the email below. I encourage you to listen to the podcast (URL is located in the body of the email).

Although I enjoy all of my freedoms and rights as an American, I do think we sometimes over-extend those freedoms and people abuse their powers....

Dear all,

It has been brought to my attention that a program aired on G105 is racially charged and profiled against people of color. The program is heavily targeted against American Indian people, specifically the Lumbee, but also boast stereotypical negativity against Hispanics, African Americans, and Asians. I have listened to the podcast and am disturbed that hatred, profiling and continuos degrading of people exist.

Take a couple of minute to listen to the podcast. You can find it at: http://www.bobandtheshowgram.com/showgram_ondemand.html (click on Tuesday, Segment 1). This negative broadcasting affects our students (they listen to these personalities), our faculty, our staff, our stakeholders - our COMMUNITY, in many ways. It would be idea if we collectively could come to some understanding on how to address this issue and champion an effort of change in ways that are beneficial and meaningful. This is definitely a prime opportunity to provide quality education on the American Indian population in the state as well as provide positive education on other racial groups that have been negated in this podcast.

Here are a couple of themes and stereotypes I noted:

1. Indians are lazy.
  2. All Indian get "money." I have been waiting on my Indian money for 35 years now!
  3. All Indians live on reservations. If you don't, you are not a "real" Indian. (FACT: most Indians live in urban areas, period)
  4. Lumbee Indians just received recognition. The Lumbee were recognized by the State of North Carolina in 1885, and recognized federally in 1956, with the Lumbee Act of 1956. However, that same legislation in essence terminated the Lumbee as a people (we are recognized as a tribe but without all the benefits of other Federally Recognized groups).
  5. A tipi warming party? What is this?
  6. Sitting Indian style (it is nice to know we "own" a particular way of sitting).
  7. Inbreeds
  8. Lumbee women (reference to former Miss North Carolina and current Miss North Carolina- both Lumbee)
  9. What does an Indian look like (discussion on our pigmentation, etc). You cannot look at a person and decipher Indianness.
There is "drumming" in the background of this dialogue, too. Clearly this podcast is a mockery of Indian people and a threat. A threat to our civilization, to our identity and to our survival as Indian people. I warn you, the podcast has some strong language and should not be listened to around children. Likewise, it poses a threat to Latino, to African American, to Asian, to women and others who were belittled, degraded and made a mockery of during its broadcast.

I am not happy. PERIOD! And, I hope you are offended by it too!

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I suppose if people are going to continue to be stupid, we Indians can always repossess the country by calling in the note, bankrupting the country, and kick everyone else out.

It's an option....................

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Indians aren't lazy, they're drunk.

Shelby that was wrong. :tool: :smashfreakB: :aargh4: :bryce:

I suppose if people are going to continue to be stupid, we Indians can always repossess the country by calling in the note, bankrupting the country, and kick everyone else out.
It's an option....................
Go right ahead. :biggrin1: I'm part Cherokee on moms side and we have property in South Carolina that has been in the family since 1813. I'll just go live there. :cool: The property is documented as being owned by a full blooded Cherokee.

when is everyone gona stop being so goddam sensitive...
When ignorant people stop mouthing off about things which they know nothing about.

uncut1234

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my god,, should i make a thread about all the irish stereotypes or stereotypes of people who live in new jersey? truth is i wouldnt waste my time... it goes back to "sticks and stones....." ... no wonder so many people die of heart attacks and heart disease in america... they stress out about NOTHING!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my god,, should i make a thread about all the irish stereotypes or stereotypes of people who live in new jersey? truth is i wouldnt waste my time... it goes back to "sticks and stones....." ... no wonder so many people die of heart attacks and heart disease in america... they stress out about NOTHING!

Why do you have to personalize this. It is wrong plain and simple. If you were being attacked as a group unfairly I should hope that someone would come to your defense. I want to say something really bad right now but I think I will hold back....:frown1:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Below is an email I composed and sent to administration, faculty, staff, students, tribal leaders, community leaders, youth organizations, social justice groups, etc. about a podcast that was aired degrading people of color. You can read the email below. I encourage you to listen to the podcast (URL is located in the body of the email).

Although I enjoy all of my freedoms and rights as an American, I do think we sometimes over-extend those freedoms and people abuse their powers....

Dear all,

It has been brought to my attention that a program aired on G105 is racially charged and profiled against people of color. The program is heavily targeted against American Indian people, specifically the Lumbee, but also boast stereotypical negativity against Hispanics, African Americans, and Asians. I have listened to the podcast and am disturbed that hatred, profiling and continuos degrading of people exist.

Take a couple of minute to listen to the podcast. You can find it at: http://www.bobandtheshowgram.com/showgram_ondemand.html (click on Tuesday, Segment 1). This negative broadcasting affects our students (they listen to these personalities), our faculty, our staff, our stakeholders - our COMMUNITY, in many ways. It would be idea if we collectively could come to some understanding on how to address this issue and champion an effort of change in ways that are beneficial and meaningful. This is definitely a prime opportunity to provide quality education on the American Indian population in the state as well as provide positive education on other racial groups that have been negated in this podcast.

Here are a couple of themes and stereotypes I noted:

1. Indians are lazy.
  2. All Indian get "money." I have been waiting on my Indian money for 35 years now!
  3. All Indians live on reservations. If you don't, you are not a "real" Indian. (FACT: most Indians live in urban areas, period)
  4. Lumbee Indians just received recognition. The Lumbee were recognized by the State of North Carolina in 1885, and recognized federally in 1956, with the Lumbee Act of 1956. However, that same legislation in essence terminated the Lumbee as a people (we are recognized as a tribe but without all the benefits of other Federally Recognized groups).
  5. A tipi warming party? What is this?
  6. Sitting Indian style (it is nice to know we "own" a particular way of sitting).
  7. Inbreeds
  8. Lumbee women (reference to former Miss North Carolina and current Miss North Carolina- both Lumbee)
  9. What does an Indian look like (discussion on our pigmentation, etc). You cannot look at a person and decipher Indianness.
There is "drumming" in the background of this dialogue, too. Clearly this podcast is a mockery of Indian people and a threat. A threat to our civilization, to our identity and to our survival as Indian people. I warn you, the podcast has some strong language and should not be listened to around children. Likewise, it poses a threat to Latino, to African American, to Asian, to women and others who were belittled, degraded and made a mockery of during its broadcast.

I am not happy. PERIOD! And, I hope you are offended by it too!

B,

Brother, that makes me mad, too. Ignore any ignorant comments you may see here and I will pray that I dont explode and say some bad words I might regret! Luv ya and know that clearly not everyone is proud of their ignorance.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
You know I called the local police to try and have a facebook group taken down that was attacking the aboriginal people of my city.. they straight up told me there was nothing they could do despite the horrid racism and stereotyping.
Fucking uneducated people.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Why do you have to personalize this. It is wrong plain and simple. If you were being attacked as a group unfairly I should hope that someone would come to your defense. I want to say something really bad right now but I think I will hold back....:frown1:

Sorry... but he's right... its not wrong.

Freedom of speech means people can say whatever they please... even stupid, ignorant and hurtful things.

The very idea that speech should be indicted or silenced because it is unpopular, foolish, or bigoted is the very heart and soul of fascism.

Fight against ignorance, yes... exercise your freedom of speech in challenging ignorant assumptions... certainly...

And be willing to die fighting for the right of ignoramuses to say as they please.

But I have to draw the line at any suggestion that such speech ought not to be tolerated.

In my experience... the most effective way to get people to change their minds about bigotry is not by getting all hot and bothered over it...

Its when you laugh in their face for being so stupid.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sorry... but he's right... its not wrong.

Freedom of speech means people can say whatever they please... even stupid, ignorant and hurtful things.

The very idea that speech should be indicted or silenced because it is unpopular, foolish, or bigoted is the very heart and soul of fascism.

Fight against ignorance, yes... exercise your freedom of speech in challenging ignorant assumptions... certainly...

And be willing to die fighting for the right of ignoramuses to say as they please.

But I have to draw the line at any suggestion that such speech ought not to be tolerated.

In my experience... the most effective way to get people to change their minds about bigotry is not by getting all hot and bothered over it...

Its when you laugh in their face for being so stupid.

Yeah Phil... that really worked in the 1930's in Germany didn't it? Laughing in the face of the KKK is going to make them go away? It would be nice if it were so, but history shows that it is not. Exactly which of your experiences are you talking about?

Speech which incites hate against a group or individual should not be (and isn't in many countries) protected. Your right of free speech ends where my rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, begin. I mean why do we have laws against libel?

I'm bloody well glad that Martin L King and others got "hot and bothered" about bigotry fifty years ago. The world is a better place because of it. Maybe we should not get "hot and bothered" about Arab fundamentalists hatred of the west. Or Israel's bigoted treatment of the Palestinians. Or any other of a hundred other examples I could name.

I give you John Stewart Mill:

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.

and John Kennedy:

We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.

I do not believe humans are so wise as to know what is right without evidence of that which is wrong. We do not proctor nor do we censor in this country. If you do not care to hear or read hate speech then do not listen to it. The only true convictions are those made in the minds of men and women truly able to weigh choices. Otherwise we are sheep. I, for one, prefer to use my brain, and none of you, no matter what your intention, are worthy to decide what I may or may not be exposed to in the forum of ideas as I am unworthy to do the same.

Noam Chomsky put it very well:

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I write with mixed emotions here. I do understand where some of you are coming from, however, to be so blatantly racist and overt with it only shows the true state of America diplomacy. Regardless of how it is stated, rather is was fictious or jokingly said, the inflamatory remarks degrade groups of people, thus inferring this social mentality of superiority. Maybe it does not affect you because you've not dealt with things directly. In academia, we would classify you in the group of white privilege (encompassing all variables associated within this concept). For those of us who live this saga day in and day out... we call it an aggressive attempt to further disassociate people. People do not need to be apathetic. They were wrong and they should be nailed for it. Rather you agree or not is your stance, but do NOT shoulder your philosophies on others who say enough is enough....

Oh and to answer a question about sensitivity...

We (I) will stop being sensitive when arrogant, ignorant, and insensitive people become more tolerable, accepting, and appreciative of ALL people and their contributions to society. Cut short: I suppose NEVER! Answer enough for you?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I write with mixed emotions here. I do understand where some of you are coming from, however, to be so blatantly racist and overt with it only shows the true state of America diplomacy. Regardless of how it is stated, rather is was fictious or jokingly said, the inflamatory remarks degrade groups of people, thus inferring this social mentality of superiority. Maybe it does not affect you because you've not dealt with things directly. In academia, we would classify you in the group of white privilege (encompassing all variables associated within this concept). For those of us who live this saga day in and day out... we call it an aggressive attempt to further disassociate people. People do not need to be apathetic. They were wrong and they should be nailed for it. Rather you agree or not is your stance, but do NOT shoulder your philosophies on others who say enough is enough....

Oh and to answer a question about sensitivity...

We (I) will stop being sensitive when arrogant, ignorant, and insensitive people become more tolerable, accepting, and appreciative of ALL people and their contributions to society. Cut short: I suppose NEVER! Answer enough for you?

WELL! Preach it, brotha! Preach it!