Raising Sons With Morals

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
i like this whole idea of make kids get a job. its harder than people think. people dont accept 16 year olds for many jobs these days.
to be fair to NJ, she heard alot about this girl, therefore it must be true. As for his choice in girls, he probs just wants to have sex with this girl. if its all she wants too, theres nothing wrong. if anything the mum was responsaible buying him condoms. if more parents gave them out and said use them or else then od see alot less girls younger than me with more babies than i may have in life. id say he was being more moral then most people are by having condoms.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
i like this whole idea of make kids get a job. its harder than people think. people dont accept 16 year olds for many jobs these days.

Thank you! I still don't have a job and I'm 20. It's hard to get a job with no work experience. Of course I'm going to keep trying, I'll probably resort to more starter jobs soon, like fast food, but even then I may get unlucky here.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
i got rejected from macdonolds interview despite the fact im going to uni and had some experiance. its hard. older people seem to think its easy being young. i cant wait till they hand me my rose tinted glasses

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I too hear all the time young people should get a job. But university takes up a lot of time, so they might not have a lot of time. And if they have enough money, then good for them. If their parents buy them what they need and give them money when they want something, good for them. No need to get a job then. People are just jealous of those kids. Let the kids themself judge whether they need more money and if they want a job, and if they think they need a job, then they can get one. Don't make them.

Well that makes me hopeful. :rolleyes: I WAS going to college, but I can't afford to go right now.

Don't worry about that. The average age of college students is now firmly in the "adult" zone. You literally can always go back when you have the time and the finances. In fact, and I hate to say this, going back as an adult is easier because the profs treat you much better if you show them some respect and have a half-wit of an intellect. They take you more seriously. They shouldn't, but they do. If you have the credits, see if you can get an AA even if it's from a CC. That will help you a great deal in the non-degreed job market where an AA can make the difference between being a drone and a supervisor.

Thank you, Kotch for being a reasonable parent. Your take is exactly what I have been doing. Educating, guiding and protecting.

You have the most astonishingly well-behaved children I've encountered in a long time. They're intelligent, thoughtful, kind, and well humored. I really like them.

Clearly, they take after your ex.:tongue:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
i got rejected from macdonolds interview despite the fact im going to uni and had some experiance. its hard. older people seem to think its easy being young. i cant wait till they hand me my rose tinted glasses

Oh please, I've been financially independent from my family since I was 16 ( and I haven't had a single penny from them since ), and I started working while at school when I was 13. I worked all through my degree and I had to work two jobs during my apprenticeship to become a Goldsmith. Sure being young isn't easy but getting a job and being responsible for yourself are hardly the preserve of the old.

I don't have a huge amount of time for the OP, but I do believe that young people should be strenuously encouraged to be independent and self responsible, regardless of their sex or sexual activity.

Last edited:

Oh please, I've been financially independent from my family since I was 16, and I started working while at school when I was 13. I worked all through my degree and I had to work two jobs during my apprenticeship to become a Goldsmith. Sure being young isn't easy but getting a job and being responsible for yourself are hardly the preserve of the old.

I don't have a huge amount of time for the OP, but I do believe that young people should be strenuously encouraged to be independent and self responsible, regardless of their sex or sexual activity.

I'll tell your straight away that Ireland and the US are exceptionally different places. In the US anyone under 18 can void a contract immediately at will and be held harmless for doing so. Nobody but nobody wants to employ anyone under 18 unless they can help it. It puts employers in the legal state of loco parentis. That's our litigious society at work and it has severely damaged the under 18 job market. Worse, American society is so Puritanical that we actively work to protect anyone under 18 from the realities of the world. Hell, we don't even let anyone under 21 drink despite the fact that we can ship someone who is 17 off to war and put someone 18 or older to death! We infantilized youth in a way that Ireland doesn't. It's absurd but suddenly we expect someone to change literally overnight from one legal status to another and carry, on top of that, some outrageous expectation that they will become as wise as an adult. You'd have to see it to believe it.

The US also doesn't have the social cohesion that Ireland does. Not by a long-shot. Not even in small towns. There is no trust in your fellow citizen; none what-so-ever.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I'll tell your straight away that Ireland and the US are exceptionally different places. In the US anyone under 18 can void a contract immediately at will and be held harmless for doing so. Nobody but nobody wants to employ anyone under 18 unless they can help it. It puts employers in the legal state of loco parentis. That's our litigious society at work and it has severely damaged the under 18 job market. Worse, American society is so Puritanical that we actively work to protect anyone under 18 from the realities of the world. Hell, we don't even let anyone under 21 drink despite the fact that we can ship someone who is 17 off to war and put someone 18 or older to death! We infantilized youth in a way that Ireland doesn't. It's absurd but suddenly we expect someone to change literally overnight from one legal status to another and carry, on top of that, some outrageous expectation that they will become as wise as an adult. You'd have to see it to believe it.

The US also doesn't have the social cohesion that Ireland does. Not by a long-shot. Not even in small towns. There is no trust in your fellow citizen; none what-so-ever.

Well I have numerous friends in the states who coming from working class or poor backgrounds had no choice but to get out and work at a young age. Doubtless many of them worked off the books and for low wages but they were required to do so by cirsumstance. I don't say I think it's fair or right that they were forced to work under these circumstances mind you.

I can understand that children of middle class or wealthy parents can be protected ( rightly or wrongly ) in the way you describe Jason, but many many children simply don't have that luxury.

And strictly speaking, the legal situation you describe is created by the choices of voters, including voters with children, when they choose to support political decisions which infantilise their children they make a poor parenting decision.

Oh and just to be clear :tongue: I've never been the recipient of the dividend of Irish social cohesion, though I accept that it exists. :wink:

Last edited:

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You have the most astonishingly well-behaved children I've encountered in a long time. They're intelligent, thoughtful, kind, and well humored. I really like them.

Clearly, they take after your ex.:tongue:
I think this is, what u Americans call a burn?:biggrin1:
But i love it, sure Lex will too :biggrin1:

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wish, and only wish, someone went to the uni and worked at the same time!
That is impossible here, cause our education was/is still in the 18th century!
And when u finish your uni, and your masters, well, u still can`t find a job!
I think i`ll start my doctorate soon:):):)

Oh and just to be clear :tongue: I've never been the recipient of the dividend of Irish social cohesion, though I accept that it exists. :wink:

Yeah you have. The two countries are glaringly different in this regard. Hmmm... imagine a loyalist employing a republican and you get a slight idea of what it takes for an employer to hire a kid in this country. The Irish are, for better or worse, more trusting than we are. I know you may not believe it but I have seen it and it's confirmed by my experience and those of other expats I know living in Ireland. I know your country pretty well as I go there frequently. Providing I'm well enough, I'll be again there this spring and I hope we might get together.

There are employers who will hire off the books and lots of them but it is increasingly difficult for that to happen when you can hire a willing South American or Mexican for the same amount with none of the liability even if you're busted for hiring illegals to begin with. In other words, it's now better to be busted for hiring illegals than it is to employ someone under 18. It is fucked-up.

I think this is, what u Americans call a burn?:biggrin1:
But i love it, sure Lex will too :biggrin1:

Not really. I think I know Lex well enough to tease him just a little. He's actually on very good terms with his ex.

I wish, and only wish, someone went to the uni and worked at the same time!
That is impossible here, cause our education was/is still in the 18th century!
And when u finish your uni, and your masters, well, u still can`t find a job!
I think i`ll start my doctorate soon:):):)

Can you emigrate or find any preference within the EU? Serbia is not well-loved but you're different from any other Serbian I've met.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Can you emigrate or find any preference within the EU? Serbia is not well-loved but you're different from any other Serbian I've met.
LOL jas, thank u!:smile:
But hinestly, i think we are getting closer to EU every day :)
and things are starting to improve here...slowly but they do :smile:

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Don't worry about that. The average age of college students is now firmly in the "adult" zone. You literally can always go back when you have the time and the finances. In fact, and I hate to say this, going back as an adult is easier because the profs treat you much better if you show them some respect and have a half-wit of an intellect. They take you more seriously. They shouldn't, but they do. If you have the credits, see if you can get an AA even if it's from a CC. That will help you a great deal in the non-degreed job market where an AA can make the difference between being a drone and a supervisor.

I was going to CC. There is a transfer track to UW Computer Science department, which is what I want to do. It will be cheaper, and the CC is closer to me, but it is still like 40 minutes away. I don't have enough credits for an AA though. My college start was cut short because of money issue worsened family issues. I have an uneasy feeling in my stomach that the pot will start to boil over really soon for the family thing.

But thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.