Random Birth Control Bitching *a.k.a* RBCB

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by D_Fiona_Farvel, Jul 31, 2008.

1. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

"And away we go"...

• My Gynecologist and I agree that hormonal BC is incredibly taxing on the body, and there's too much risk for women to use any of the pills or alternatives (patch, nuvaring, shot, implants) currently available.
    • Barrier methods, such as the cervical cap/fem cap/diaphragm/Lea's cap, were not really designed to use in concert with condoms.
    • Can't use an IUD because I wear a menstrual cup and the suction could vacuum it out *ouch!*. :eek:
    • There are naturopathic BC options like grapefruit and lemon spermicides, but I have no idea how reliable/effective they are.
    • I was leaning towards the contraceptive sponge, specifically one sold in Europe, but it has been discontinued. In fact, it seems all contraceptive sponges have been discontinued in the U.S.,...
    • I'm sensing a conspiracy that pharmacological companies only want to sell birth control that can possibly kill you. Seriously. :mad:
    Why must avoiding pregnancy be so difficult?

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I feel you. But I have the option of an IUD, which would seem to be my only option that doesn't involve hormones. I was on depo for years, but have recently become very anti-hormonal birth control, if possible. IUD for me, all the way!

3. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I think your gyno is nuts. BC pills aren't that taxing on the body if you take them correctly. And you have a reason for everything else. Pick one and stick with it, take it properly and there you go.

I take my birth control in 3 month intervals. 3 months of no periods and then 1 week of stuff then back on the pills.

4. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I dunno who told you that TK, but birth control can be very hard on the body. I know two people under the age of 30 who have had strokes while on depo. That can't be healthy.

5. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

what about the female version of the condom?

6. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Depo is something totally different. I specifically said the pill...The depo fucked with my cousins insides too. Pill not the shot or patch.

7. ScorpioSlut

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I totally agree TK....birth control pills are totally safe if you take them properly and you don't have any of the health conditions that make you at risk for problems. So if you're already not healthy hormonal bc can cause you problems. I'm a pretty healthy person just have an occasional heart flutter (nothing serious) and I have been taking bc for almost 10 years and there's not a thing wrong with me or my body that would be caused by bc. I used to take "standard" bc and get a period every month but I've now switched to Seasonique and only get one every 3 months and I think it's wonderful!!!

Oh and just a helpful tip that I recently learned......If you're every sick at your stomach and not able to keep anything down you can take your bc pills vaginally.....a lil weird I know but it works and is gyno approved.

8. TheHawkmaster

TheHawkmaster New Member

Hey Chockokittie, do you have a regular period? If you do, have you ever tracked your ovulation cycle to find out when you ovulate?

My fiancee and I practice this method, and with use of these test strips (to detect LH surge that comes up 24-36 hrs before ovulation occurs) as well as an ovulation calendar (we use JX Ovulation Calendar), we're able to pinpoint roughly when she's ovulating, and thus keep the sexytime limited to oral (or even condoms) about 6 days before ovulation and 2 days after it happens.

Works like a charm! She would get 2 or 3 migraines a week when on hormonal BC, so this method is by far her favorite.

Let me know if that helps :)

9. Hugh G. Rection

Pharma companies are only interested in making you sicker so they can sell more pills. They fund all of the colleges of medicine and conduct their own safety testing. You can NOT trust them.
    Pharma is one of the major contributors to the toxic sickness we all battle against.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

11. D_Fiona_Farvel

+1. I know they do not have my best interest in mind.

I have tried it. It is too expensive, thick, long, and noisy to use as a permanent form of BC. Plus, I am looking for something that will not restrict ejaculation. :wink:

Yes, all forms of hormonal birth control have their dangers.
    My Doctor is one one of the foremost Gynecologists in this region, I trust her knowledge on the subject. Plus, I know my own experiences, cluster headaches from one type of pill, nausea and breast pain with another, other minor issues until I found Ortho 777. I do miss being able to schedule my "period", tho.

Also, the experiences of my friends (one had a blood clot from the pill, another sudden sky high BP at 19 & healthy, depo gave one aura which is a sign of stroking out (but she smoked). Perhaps not as life threatening, but the pill triggered sever depression, mood disorders for a few as well.

I would do the ovu method in combination with something else, but not as stand alone BC. Glad it is working out for you and the wife, tho. :smile:

12. D_Fiona_Farvel

• I am never giving up the cup! It is re-usable, I can sterilize it, plus no smell, leaks, and I can keep it in for 1-12 hours. Pssh.... it is a definite "keeper", hehe.

Certainly I am a pain in the ass. :smile: But it isn't too much to ask for hormone-free, reversible, low side effect, effective Birth Control.

Some women have to "plug" BC pills due to extreme nausea.

Actually, they were back on the market the past few years.
      Last year the company that manufactured them went out of business and sold the rights, unfortunately, they have not been produced since then (2007ish), but are still available. today sponge, Health Care, Dietary Supplements, Nutrition items on eBay.com

But Today wasn't my first choice for contraceptive sponge, I was planning on using Protectaid, which was proven to protect against STDs as well, but it is no longer available in the U.S. at all. :mad:

#12 D_Fiona_Farvel, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  13. psosandra

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was on the pill for 20 years, my doc said since I was healthy, and didn't smoke, I could stay on them till menopause if I wanted. Last year had an endometrial ablation, and got my tubes tied at the same time, so I don't have to worry about either anymore.

I was on the lowest dose pill at the end, never had any problems.

14. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Get your tubes tied then... sheesh you wont have to worry and it's reversible.

15. D_Fiona_Farvel

Was the endometrial ablation procedure for endometriosis (sp)?

Glad you are doing well after 20 years! :smile: I just can't do the pill, but have found the product I was looking for after nicely badgering the pharmaceutical company while at work yesterday.

:rolleyes: Tubal ligation is theoretically reversible to allow for pregnancy, however there is no guarantee of fertility. Besides, I have consulted for tubal ligation on three occasions and was told most Doctors will refuse unless the woman already has a kid(s) or a medical condition. Also, insurance will not cover it unless you have a kid or pre-existing medical condition and both are expensive procedures.

Thanks for the input. :smile:

16. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    A second opinion, perhaps, is needed.

17. D_Fiona_Farvel

For? :confused:

18. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    What you need. A doctor is no different than anyone else. They have inclinations and what they learned may not suit everyone.

In a lesson of backgrounds, a Lady Doctor told me it was impossible for me to be allergic to soy. Coming from a Hindu such as her, I saw that such a person would not live long in her culture.

19. D_Fiona_Farvel

True, some MDs may hold a bias that could be detrimental to one's health, but I am in agreement with my Doctor. :wink:

My issue is that I find alternatives to hormonal birth control sadly lacking.

20. melis

melis New Member

I recommend you look into NuvaRing. It is a hormonal alternative, but releases about half of the hormones the weaker pills do. It's basically a plastic ring that you insert into your vagina and leave for three weeks. During that time, it will slowly release a continuous low dose of hormones needed to prevent pregnancy. The forth week you remove it. You need a new ring every month. I find that if I insert it right I'm not bothered by leaving it in when having sex - but if you are, you can remove it for up to three hours and still be protected against pregnancy. I'm very satisfied with it, especially since I don't get the side effects I used to when on the pill. Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted