Random Birth Control Bitching *a.k.a* RBCB

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks, Melis!
The NuvaRing is on my short list of alternatives.
I knew a girl who wore it during sex, and she said occasionally when her BF pulled out he would be wearing it like a hoola hoop around his head (glans). :biggrin1:

melis

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hoola hoop? That's funny... Depends on the girth of your partner - if your partner is larger, the diameter of the ring is probably a bit small for that to happen... I can sometimes feel it during sex, as can my partner - but it's not uncomfortable for either of us ;D My by far most preferred mean of cntraception.

melis

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nope, never had any problems with it, have been using it for a couple of years. I sometimes take it out when I shower, that's all. I don't know if that is necessary, though, as it always seems clean. Can't really think of any problems I've had with it, except that I have to set the alarm on my cell phone so I remember changing it...

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
On what logical basis do you suspect the Pill of being "taxing" on your body?

The health risk of even a SINGLE pregnancy outweigh all the associated risks of the pill.... unless you have some unusual reaction to the hormones... but they make several kinds, in several different dosing strategies.

In point of fact the pill keeps you from getting pregnant by adjusting your hormone level to fool your body into thinking it already IS pregnant.

As to "naturapathy".... wake up before you do some real damage. Naturapathy's principle divergence from the idiocy of homeopathy is that it actually uses some agents that have a known impact... but often a toxic one.

You should read up on the history of medicine enough to realize that Aspirin is, for example, the purified active ingredient in Willow bark. Which was used for centuries to treat pain and swelling.

The problem with Willow Bark is that salicylic acid is only 1 of hundreds of compounds in it, many of which are poisonous or otherwise distressing to your body.

By scientifically identifying the ingredient that was having the desired effect, and producing it in pure form... you get a treatment that is perfectly "natural"...in that it IS the thing in willow bark that worked... only its uncontaminated with other, toxic agents... and its far more powerful and efficacious.

Naturapathic potions are NOT regulated nor reviewed by the FDA... for example, some of them contain trace amounts of arsenic... which is a CUMULATIVE poison in that it is your accrued lifetime exposure that determines how much damage can be done.

There have been quite a few cases of people taking naturapathic remedies who are having side effects that are alarming,... and Doctors can do little to help them because they have no idea which of the dozens of hundreds of natural compounds is causing the problem.

Keep in mind that Hemlock, strychnine, curare, poison oak and even botulinum toxin are ALL perfectly natural...
Natural is not "healthy"--- nature, by and large, is all the species who are trying to protect themselves by killing or poisoning you.

Contrast taking Un tested and un-regulated malarky medications with taking the birth control pill... which has a 50 year safety record beaten only by aspirin.

If your doctor thinks the pill is "bad for you" and Naturapathy is "good" for you.... try finding a real Doctor.... not one who credits anecdote and rumor over double blind scientific trials.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
On what logical basis do you suspect the Pill of being "taxing" on your body?

<edited for brevity>

If your doctor thinks the pill is "bad for you" and Naturapathy is "good" for you.... try finding a real Doctor.... not one who credits anecdote and rumor over double blind scientific trials.
:confused:
Re-read my post, at no point did I state I or my Doctor advocated Naturopathic remedies. In fact, when mentioning them it was written with the addition that I had no knowledge of their effectiveness.

Further, regarding the pill being taxing on the body - the issues I have had in the past with hormonal birth control, my Doctor's field of specialty, and other associated risks, helped me decide that most hormonal birth control is absolutely not an option for my body.

Actually, I made the decision years ago, as I haven't used a birth control pill in years and have never been pregnant either.

Certainly, birth control pills are an option for many, and for those who find it works as a method of contraception, more power and good health to them. :smile:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Was the endometrial ablation procedure for endometriosis (sp)?

Glad you are doing well after 20 years! :smile: I just can't do the pill, but have found the product I was looking for after nicely badgering the pharmaceutical company while at work yesterday.

:rolleyes: Tubal ligation is theoretically reversible to allow for pregnancy, however there is no guarantee of fertility. Besides, I have consulted for tubal ligation on three occasions and was told most Doctors will refuse unless the woman already has a kid(s) or a medical condition. Also, insurance will not cover it unless you have a kid or pre-existing medical condition and both are expensive procedures.

Thanks for the input. :smile:

I've had tubal ligation and didn't already have a kid or a medical condition. My insurance that I had at the time also completely covered it. I was, however, in my thirties when I had it done. I have heard that a lot of doctors won't do it unless you have a kid or a medical condition OR are over 30 (because they think if you're younger you'll change your mind). I personally would've had a tubal ligation at age 18 if I could have.

However, I don't recommend it if you think you might change your mind. It isn't guaranteed reversible.

TooWet

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, you know, celibacy rocks out as a method of birth control. :biggrin1:

So does lesbian action.

All sarcasm aside, though, the only reason I can think of for you to -not- do some form of the pill is that you -know- it affects you badly. And good luck to you on your search. I think it's going to be a long one...

Who knows, you might be menopausal when they come out with this sort of option.

|e|

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
ChockoKittie: Great nick, btw... I don't know if you meant it like the Sanrio character, but i <3 Chococat - way cooler than hello kitty (although not as cool as Badtz-Maru ;)

Anyway, I use the cup also and would never give it up. I've actually converted a few people to it! The only one i've found though is Instead - do you use Instead or something else?

I also cannot use the bc pill - I have used it a few times without problems, but the last time I was on the pill it caused horrible hormonal problems that took months to resolve after getting off it. I cannot go back on the pill due to stroke risk (I have migraines and SUNCT syndrome), so we currently just use condoms, which sucks. I wish there were more options out there... I guess we can hope that they will come up with a safe, effective male bc pill sometime soon ;)

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've heard of a recent study that is finding high levels of hormones in the drinking water in the UK (where study was done...not cuz it's so bad there, folks). Apparently, those hormones that are urinated out by ladies using the Pill cannot be filtered out during the recycling process...meaning we all get to drink it again.

Don't flame me; I'm just passing this on. I'll see if I can find anything about this over the next couple days. But if anyone else has heard, it would be good to know.

And if it IS the case, then it certainly makes one think twice about the amount of use of the Pill.

PS Found this in regards to estrogen's negative effect on wildlife (hahahaha...sorry...didn't mean to laugh...but seriously...'wild'life):
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/feb/08021805.html

Last edited:

|e|

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hellboy, yes - I meant to mention that in my post... the pill has had a major environmental impact as well (here is one abstract)... i could find some more references, but it is late and i have to work tomorrow ;)

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I've heard of a recent study that is finding high levels of hormones in the drinking water in the UK (where study was done...not cuz it's so bad there, folks). Apparently, those hormones that are urinated out by ladies using the Pill cannot be filtered out during the recycling process...meaning we all get to drink it again.

Don't flame me; I'm just passing this on. I'll see if I can find anything about this over the next couple days. But if anyone else has heard, it would be good to know.

And if it IS the case, then it certainly makes one think twice about the amount of use of the Pill.

PS Found this in regards to estrogen's negative effect on wildlife (hahahaha...sorry...didn't mean to laugh...but seriously...'wild'life):
Study Confirms Estrogen in Water from the Pill Devastating to Fish Populations
Interesting article. Good find.

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hellboy, yes - I meant to mention that in my post... the pill has had a major environmental impact as well (here is one abstract)... i could find some more references, but it is late and i have to work tomorrow ;)

Thanks for that...I really respect New Scientist Magazine.

Ok, will get back to this later...am off to work myself now.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've had tubal ligation and didn't already have a kid or a medical condition. My insurance that I had at the time also completely covered it. I was, however, in my thirties when I had it done. I have heard that a lot of doctors won't do it unless you have a kid or a medical condition OR are over 30 (because they think if you're younger you'll change your mind). I personally would've had a tubal ligation at age 18 if I could have.

However, I don't recommend it if you think you might change your mind. It isn't guaranteed reversible.
Please tell me you're Canadian, haha.
I can't even get my yearly pelvic exam covered because I am healthy, so they only cover one every two years . But yes, I want something completely reversible - there's always a possibility I'll change my mind.

Well, you know, celibacy rocks out as a method of birth control.

So does lesbian action.

All sarcasm aside, though, the only reason I can think of for you to -not- do some form of the pill is that you -know- it affects you badly. And good luck to you on your search. I think it's going to be a long one...

Who knows, you might be menopausal when they come out with this sort of option.
Thanks, but celibacy isn't an option. :wink:
I have found my preferred method, which a barrier sponge, it just wasn't readily available... until I badgered the manufacturer. :)

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ChockoKittie: Great nick, btw... I don't know if you meant it like the Sanrio character, but i <3 Chococat - way cooler than hello kitty (although not as cool as Badtz-Maru ;)

Anyway, I use the cup also and would never give it up. I've actually converted a few people to it! The only one i've found though is Instead - do you use Instead or something else?

I also cannot use the bc pill - I have used it a few times without problems, but the last time I was on the pill it caused horrible hormonal problems that took months to resolve after getting off it. I cannot go back on the pill due to stroke risk (I have migraines and SUNCT syndrome), so we currently just use condoms, which sucks. I wish there were more options out there... I guess we can hope that they will come up with a safe, effective male bc pill sometime soon ;)
I love Chococat, and yes my screen name is inspired by love of Sanrio! :hug:

I use the Diva Cup, which is silicone, unlike The Keeper, and much deeper than Instead, which I felt was too shallow. I highly recommend menstrual cups, one of the best investments I've ever made.

My friend had the same issue with migraines, but her were triggered by BC. Did you experience aura as well?

Study Confirms Estrogen in Water from the Pill Devastating to Fish Populations
Thanks for the link, Hellboy!
I read about the feminization of fish several years ago, but somehow it slipped my mind, this article and the abstract E provided were a good refresher. :smile:

psosandra

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My doctor did mine, and I'm healthy and never had kids, but I was in my thirties and had been asking him to do it for 10 years! Insurance covered it all.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lucky!
I've had PPO and HMO, and all the Doctors have refused. I still do not want kids, but will not do anything permanent until I am 40-45 - just in case I change my mind. :cool:

|e|

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I love Chococat, and yes my screen name is inspired by love of Sanrio! :hug:

I use the Diva Cup, which is silicone, unlike The Keeper, and much deeper than Instead, which I felt was too shallow. I highly recommend menstrual cups, one of the best investments I've ever made.

Interesting! I didn't know there were any alternatives to Instead - I'll have to check them out! I've been petrified that they're going to be discontinued :eek:

My friend had the same issue with migraines, but her were triggered by BC. Did you experience aura as well?

Yeah, I have classic migraine with aura... I don't get the aura every time, but most. One time I went completely blind for about 30 seconds - that was freaky!

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks for the link, Hellboy!
I read about the feminization of fish several years ago, but somehow it slipped my mind, this article and the abstract E provided were a good refresher. :smile:

No worries! I'm lucky cuz I can't get pregnant so I don't have to take these measures. I get that it is a real issue, though.

Again, I'm just floating through on my way to doing some catchup on my 'real world' work but promise to look a bit more into this. I know that not all articles, research, etc is that good or unbiased.