Random Poll: What is Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by exwhyzee, Jan 11, 2011.

?

What do you eat for breakfast?

1. Grains (wheat and corn breads, pancakes, oatmeal, etc)

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. Fruit

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  3. Vegetables

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Dairy (yogurt, cheese, cream)

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  5. Red Meat

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. White Meat

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. Fish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Nuts

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  9. Beans (peas, lentils)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. Coffee/Tea

32 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. exwhyzee

Gold Member

In my travels I have noticed that "breakfast" means different things to different cultures. Here in the southern USA, breakfast is relatively restricted to cereals/oats, eggs/omelets, pork (bacon, ham, sausage), breads (toast, biscuit, cornbread, pancakes, waffles), fruits/jams, dairy (yogurt, milk, cream cheese), coffee/tea, and limited veggies such as potatoes, corn (grits.

Some traditions are changing, for example...chicken is now served at fast food restaurants...and a few years ago chicken for breakfast would have been odd. Beef, fish and turkey remain relatively rare.

In other countries I've noticed different foods slip on to the menu...such as tomatoes and baked beans in England (my dad is old school and loves tomatoes for breakfast even though he is a native of the USA). In Eastern Europe I saw sandwich meat such as salami and cheese served. In Romania they eat breakfast sandwiches that include olives and cucumbers with meat and cheese...which I thought was odd for breakfast. Other places de-emphasize breakfast altogether and replace it with a cup of coffee.

What does your traditional breakfast include? Are there any foods you specifically don't eat for breakfast? Are there any odd breakfasts you have experienced?

#1 exwhyzee, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess I'm "Old School". I eat the same breakfast every day:
    3 sausage links
    2 fried eggs
    1 english muffin

Actually, one of my favortie breakfasts was at a resort in the South of Thailand. Something called "Congee"
    It's a rice porrige that had ground pork, ginger, lemongrass and CHILI OIL!. It was a delicious start to the day.

3. ghb69

Gold Member

Albums:
  4. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I always have bread with Nutella on it :rolleyes: and a few glasses of milk.
    But it's common here that we have breakfast with bread or cereals (mainly kids eat cereals). And with that we have slices of cheese, salami, ham, jam, ... and a cup of coffee, tea, milk or water.

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I have either toast or a bagel and coffee.

6. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was planning to select other as my choice and then give detail but that wasn't an option:frown1: which essentially nullifies this poll.

Breakfast can be a bowl of soup, a cheeseburger reheated in the microwave, leftover pizza, cereal, eggs, yogurt, a protein bar, mashed potatoes, reheated leftover Chinese takeout. Breakfast iis any food item I happen to choose that day.

7. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I used to eat cereal for breakfast but since I've been on a healthy eating fix i've been having a selection of fruit for breakfast. I know it's the most important meal of the day but often I wake up and have no appetite what so ever.

8. D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher

D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher Account Disabled

He stole my answer!

9. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I love anything for Breakfast, except cereal. It can be leftover pizza or pasta, sliced cheese on a croissant, a bagel with cream cheese, eggs, pancakes, whatever. It's all good. Just no cereal. It freaks me out.

10. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cereal, fruit juice, toast in the UK. Plus, tea or coffee obviously.

Not that many tend to have a full English breakfast these days...too fattening. :p

11. accemb

Gold Member

Albums:
    Coffee or tea, hot or cold cereal, or yogurt.

12. redbear52

redbear52 New Member

You left pussy off the list.

13. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Kellogs Fruit & Fibre, a piece of fruit, some orange juice and a cuppa tea, pretty much the same every day. I am nothing if not a creature of habit.

I was thrown a little when on a Czech airline a few years ago, we had breakfast which consisted of some pretty rich-tasting cold hams and cheese, which was a first for me.

14. luka82

Gold Member

Eggs, bacon, mayo, ham, weiners, full fat cream cheese....all the healthy stuff!

15. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    2 Toast (with varying Jams) & a Pot of Tea
    occasionally if lazy and dont feel like toast, a couple of Plain biscuits/cookies
    BUT
    for many years never had anything but a cuppa T, and never suffered one bit Health Wise
    enz

16. HappyBoi

Gold Member

Albums:
    To me breakfast can't consist of any cooked food. Like I'd never have bacon, meat, pancakes or such, that's food to me, not breakfast. ;P

Usually some sandwiches with either som salami, ham, cheese or liver paté! I LOVE sandwiches with liver paté! :D Cereal with sour milk is pretty nice too, I don't like yoghurt that much. :/ Together with some fruit and milk or water to drink.

17. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Most mornings - a slice of toast (currently love Yoga Bread), omega-3 eggs, yogurt with fresh fruit and flax seed, and tea (on a Honeybush kick this week).

Never meat, fish, cheese, sugary cereal, pancakes or the like, my system can't take it that early.

Oddest food I had for breakfast was stewed cactus in Mexico. It was surprisingly hearty and filling, a perfect start for the day.

I have the same issue, but now that taking the first meal has become a habit find there's less of a struggle to get breakfast in.

#17 D_Fiona_Farvel, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  18. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

My breakfasts are usually one of three things. Scrambled eggs and toast, cereal, or french toast. Milk to drink, unless I'm having cereal, in which case it's usually fruit juice to drink.

19. camper joe

Gold Member

Almost with out fail my breakfast is peanut butter on wheat crackers, coffee and cream.

20. midlifebear

Gold Member

I started eating nothing but fruit for breakfast more than 35 years ago. followed by lots of black coffee. Prior to that I was like Hoss and would eat anything found on the floor, just like our black lab.

When I suffer living with The Squeeze in Buenos Aires, Argentines consider 3 sweet media lunas (half moons) that are like heavy, tough croissants made of bread dough, some form of caffeine (maté, una jarrita, espresso, café con leche, o café americane), and a small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice followed by a tiny glass of water to rinse one's mouth as a complete breakfast. There's enough grease in the media lunas to guarantee heart disease by the time you're 15. But this is a meat-eating culture. So, I keep a large and rotating supply of fresh fruit for myself, then I amaze Argentines by drinking three or five mugs of freshly filter brewed coffee.

When I'm in Mexico I add chilaquiles to my regular morning fruit and coffee, sometimes with salsa verde, sometimes with salsa roja

#20 midlifebear, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted