Random Poll: What is Breakfast?

What do you eat for breakfast?

• Grains (wheat and corn breads, pancakes, oatmeal, etc)

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • Fruit

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Vegetables

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Dairy (yogurt, cheese, cream)

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Red Meat

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • White Meat

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nuts

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Beans (peas, lentils)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Coffee/Tea

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters
D

deleted3782

In my travels I have noticed that "breakfast" means different things to different cultures. Here in the southern USA, breakfast is relatively restricted to cereals/oats, eggs/omelets, pork (bacon, ham, sausage), breads (toast, biscuit, cornbread, pancakes, waffles), fruits/jams, dairy (yogurt, milk, cream cheese), coffee/tea, and limited veggies such as potatoes, corn (grits.

Some traditions are changing, for example...chicken is now served at fast food restaurants...and a few years ago chicken for breakfast would have been odd. Beef, fish and turkey remain relatively rare.

In other countries I've noticed different foods slip on to the menu...such as tomatoes and baked beans in England (my dad is old school and loves tomatoes for breakfast even though he is a native of the USA). In Eastern Europe I saw sandwich meat such as salami and cheese served. In Romania they eat breakfast sandwiches that include olives and cucumbers with meat and cheese...which I thought was odd for breakfast. Other places de-emphasize breakfast altogether and replace it with a cup of coffee.

What does your traditional breakfast include? Are there any foods you specifically don't eat for breakfast? Are there any odd breakfasts you have experienced?

Last edited by a moderator:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I guess I'm "Old School". I eat the same breakfast every day:
3 sausage links
2 fried eggs
1 english muffin

Actually, one of my favortie breakfasts was at a resort in the South of Thailand. Something called "Congee"
It's a rice porrige that had ground pork, ginger, lemongrass and CHILI OIL!. It was a delicious start to the day.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I always have bread with Nutella on it :rolleyes: and a few glasses of milk.
But it's common here that we have breakfast with bread or cereals (mainly kids eat cereals). And with that we have slices of cheese, salami, ham, jam, ... and a cup of coffee, tea, milk or water.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I was planning to select other as my choice and then give detail but that wasn't an option:frown1: which essentially nullifies this poll.

Breakfast can be a bowl of soup, a cheeseburger reheated in the microwave, leftover pizza, cereal, eggs, yogurt, a protein bar, mashed potatoes, reheated leftover Chinese takeout. Breakfast iis any food item I happen to choose that day.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I used to eat cereal for breakfast but since I've been on a healthy eating fix i've been having a selection of fruit for breakfast. I know it's the most important meal of the day but often I wake up and have no appetite what so ever.

D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher

Account Disabled
Media
I was planning to select other as my choice and then give detail but that wasn't an option:frown1: which essentially nullifies this poll.

Breakfast can be a bowl of soup, a cheeseburger reheated in the microwave, leftover pizza, cereal, eggs, yogurt, a protein bar, mashed potatoes, reheated leftover Chinese takeout. Breakfast iis any food item I happen to choose that day.

He stole my answer!

Cereal, fruit juice, toast in the UK. Plus, tea or coffee obviously.

Not that many tend to have a full English breakfast these days...too fattening. :p

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Kellogs Fruit & Fibre, a piece of fruit, some orange juice and a cuppa tea, pretty much the same every day. I am nothing if not a creature of habit.

I was thrown a little when on a Czech airline a few years ago, we had breakfast which consisted of some pretty rich-tasting cold hams and cheese, which was a first for me.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
2 Toast (with varying Jams) & a Pot of Tea
occasionally if lazy and dont feel like toast, a couple of Plain biscuits/cookies
BUT
for many years never had anything but a cuppa T, and never suffered one bit Health Wise
enz

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To me breakfast can't consist of any cooked food. Like I'd never have bacon, meat, pancakes or such, that's food to me, not breakfast. ;P

Usually some sandwiches with either som salami, ham, cheese or liver paté! I LOVE sandwiches with liver paté! :D Cereal with sour milk is pretty nice too, I don't like yoghurt that much. :/ Together with some fruit and milk or water to drink.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Most mornings - a slice of toast (currently love Yoga Bread), omega-3 eggs, yogurt with fresh fruit and flax seed, and tea (on a Honeybush kick this week).

Never meat, fish, cheese, sugary cereal, pancakes or the like, my system can't take it that early.

Oddest food I had for breakfast was stewed cactus in Mexico. It was surprisingly hearty and filling, a perfect start for the day.

I used to eat cereal for breakfast but since I've been on a healthy eating fix i've been having a selection of fruit for breakfast. I know it's the most important meal of the day but often I wake up and have no appetite what so ever.
I have the same issue, but now that taking the first meal has become a habit find there's less of a struggle to get breakfast in.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I started eating nothing but fruit for breakfast more than 35 years ago. followed by lots of black coffee. Prior to that I was like Hoss and would eat anything found on the floor, just like our black lab.

When I suffer living with The Squeeze in Buenos Aires, Argentines consider 3 sweet media lunas (half moons) that are like heavy, tough croissants made of bread dough, some form of caffeine (maté, una jarrita, espresso, café con leche, o café americane), and a small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice followed by a tiny glass of water to rinse one's mouth as a complete breakfast. There's enough grease in the media lunas to guarantee heart disease by the time you're 15. But this is a meat-eating culture. So, I keep a large and rotating supply of fresh fruit for myself, then I amaze Argentines by drinking three or five mugs of freshly filter brewed coffee.

When I'm in Mexico I add chilaquiles to my regular morning fruit and coffee, sometimes with salsa verde, sometimes with salsa roja

Last edited: