RANT: link to malware

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by slurper_la, May 17, 2011.

1. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hi LP friends:

Just letting you all know I had a harrowing experience Saturday morning (5/14/11)

Browsing through the Gay Adult Website forum (yummy) I clicked on a link to a site that immediately shut down my browser. Even though my Virus protection / malware software kicked in it was too late. (I wish I could remember the thread it was in)

My laptop was infected and the malware spread through a good portion of my laptop. Thankfully it only went so far, destroying my "profile" before it was stopped and locked in the vault. My laptop was rendered useless as my profile was unrecognized (this I came to learn after servicing)

Three days of work by my office IT guys has me back on but I'm burdened with having to rebuild a lot of data.

I wish there were procedures in place for this site to prevent the posting of links without verification or at least eliminate the ability to disguise links in alias titles.

I hope some of the moderators and administrators here see this and give it some consideration.

:tongue:

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

First of all I'm very sorry you had this problem. Reports are sent to the moderators regarding possible problems on the board (most of them are in the adult web site area)
    The problem is... at least three of us are on Mac and the rest have security settings to prevent us from detecting it when it's reported.
    I burned through three Dell computers because of this problem so if there is a way to deal with it; my recommendation is to start a thread in the "Support Forum" titled *Attn Rob* Malware issues--
    Perhaps with your information and his computer savvy there will be a solution to this problem.

3. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    i'll do that.

thank you

4. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

I have partitioned my computer into two different users for this reason.

When one "user" gets shut down and shut out by malware..(which has happened before) it doesn't render my computer completely useless.

I merely remove and delete the infected account and generate a new one so there is always two.
    I also backup all my files and docs on a external hard drive.

5. parr

parr New Member

I use the "SuperAntiSpyware" works for me.:biggrin1:

6. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tried to start up a thread awhile back about malware/virusware and bogus and or dangerous sites that contain infected programming. It got some response but didn't quite get off the ground.

The OP never identified the link or the infecting site, so most of us still haven't a clue what NOT to click on. Maybe there should be an ongoing "sticky" thread or even a forum here for "outing" and tracking malicious sites. :cool:

7. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    My WOT setting is set so high that I don't see half the sites that get linked. Should I report those?

8. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK, so, I'm one of those snooty mac users, and this has never been a problem for me. That said, I always hover over any link and look at the address is points to. Suspicious sites are usually pretty easy to spot (usually). For example, I never click on a link whose address is "www.lkjenl.eu" or "ww3.weq~67slkje.xd". In fact, if I simply don't recognize the name of the site, I'll usually pass on it.

9. Rob_E

Staff Member Administrator

To be clear, nothing hosted on this site contains malware, spyware, viruses, etc.

In the adult websites forums users may post links to third party websites. Sometimes these third party sites either allow malware/spware or are involuntarily infected with viruses. There is no reliable automated system that I am aware of to determine with 100% accuracy whether or not a third party site has problems. Particularly because most sites use dynamically generated ads which are different for every user.

We could moderate every post in those forums and visit the links ourselves before allowing them to be published, but my guess is that would be tantamount to shutting down those forums as most users won't wait for moderated posts. Also, we would no doubt encounter the issues with dynamic content mentioned above.

There is a system in place to report a post, and this should be used if you suspect a link is to a malicious site. If we determine that a site has malicious content, we will remove the post and investigate whether the poster intended to put other users in harms way.

Aside from that, I suggest that you arm yourself with a good antivirus software and make sure it is always up to date. I have found Kaspersky to be the best, though I'm sure there are other good ones out there.

Also, creating a non-admin user on your system is an easy way to repair the problem if something goes wrong. Simply delete the account and create a new one.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Draft saved Draft deleted