RANT: My Period From Hell!

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Principessa, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

TMI Warning for All Men: I am about to talk in detail about my menstrual cycle. If this makes you queasy or just disgusted stop reading now! :cool:

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*
    :rant: RANT: My Period From Hell! :rant:

My period started late in the afternoon of Wednesday, July 8, 2009. I had no cramps and minimal flow, to no flow. Late in the evening of Saturday, July 11, 2009 my flow became quite heavy and I experienced severe cramping. My menstrual flow has remained heavy since then; but the cramping has been sporadic and milder since Wednesday, July 15, 2009. Since Wednesday, the 15th I have felt very lethargic. I have also felt light headed off and on,since Thursday, July 16, 2009. Since Thursday night around 7:00 PM I have been wearing 2 overnight maxi pads and changing them every 2-3 hours.

I have not felt nauseous, nor have I noticed a fever; but I have been craving protein all week. I'm guessing that is a result of all the blood and iron lost. :irked:

This is my 2nd period since my hysteroscopic myomectomy, on May 26, 2009. My June period was the same as before the surgery. It lasted 6 days and I had severe cramping and heavy flow. I went back to my usual 3 Motrin every 4 hours.

On the advice of the doctor who did my surgerys nurse I am going to the ER. She thinks I may have lost too much blood and need a transfusion. YIKES!
    The ER didn't keep me, nor did they do a blood transfusion as I only appeared borderline anemic from the blood work they did and my white blood cell count was normal. They did give me a prescription for Vicodin for the cramps though. I didn't fill it cause that doesn't solve the problem. It will just knock me out so I don't feel the cramps. The cramps have become less severe. They don't make me double over anymore. :smile:

The ER kindly gave me a copy of the results of all the bloodwork they did and I have faxed it to my doctors office in Atlanta.

Right now, I'm weak. I do one or two things like make breakfast and fold clothes and then I need an hour nap. :irked:

You know how after giving birth some women complain that when they laugh, cough, or sneeze a little urine leaks out and they can't control it. Well thats how I have been all week, only it's the blood flow. I can feel it surging or gushing out of me when I laugh, cough, or sneeze. It's damned annoying.:mad:

Fortunately or unfortunately the results of my blood work were borderline. Last night the ER doctor explained that while I had definetely lost a lot of blood it wasn't enough to require a transfusion.

When I called Dr. Pauli, who was on call for my reproductive endocrinologist this morning and read him the results of the bloodwork he said the exact same thing. I have to admit that made me feel relieved. I know it's wrong; but I have a slight prejudice against some of the local doctors because we are in such a rural area. :redface: I feel like maybe they don't know as much as the doctors in Atlanta. :( In some cases I'm right and in others I have been wrong. It's about 50/50.

The cramps are much less than before which is the other reason I didn't fill the Vicodin script.

On Monday I will call Dr. Roberts., Dr. Pauli said they may need to do a hysterosalpingogram which the ER doc had also mentioned. This is done for a few reasons. In my case it will be to: Find problems in the uterus, such as an abnormal shape or structure, an injury, polyps, fibroids, adhesions, or a foreign object in the uterus. These types of problems may cause painful menstrual periods or repeated miscarriages.

Basd on the results of my bloodwork Dr. Pauli said I should take the following supplements: Iron, Calcium, Folic Acid, and a stool softener such as Colace to counteract the constipation from the Iron.

I'm curious, if I took the calcium in the morning and the iron at night or vice versa would I still get constipated? I'm already prone to constipation because of IBS. The last thing I need is to make it worse.

As of today, I am on day 10 of my period with no end in sight. :angryfire2: :irked:

Sorry for the long post and the TMI; but I did warn you in advance. :biggrin1: Besides which this is the ultimate 'Womens Issue.' :cool::smile:

2. MickeyLee

Gold Member

Ms. NJQT you have officially been classified as a hard-core chica. i'm about to cry just reading your post, so you get mad respect living though it. and you have managed not to strangle your mother.... stellar performance right there. you deserve a medal or something.

p.s. i am now kinda afraid of my vagina now, and the possibly of it going all traitorous and hostile on me. the UTI thread doesn't help :(

3. Principessa

Gold Member

It's not just the inconvenience and pain that's annoying. It's the expense of pads, tampons, and hydrogen peroxide. FYI-Hydrogen Peroxide is excellent for blood removal from panties and sheets. :redface:

Don't be afraid ML your pussy is your friend. Be good to it. :biggrin:

4. MickeyLee

Gold Member

house keeping tips and pussy reassurance, sweet!

i ditched the tampons years ago, so swear by the uk mooncup. cept i'm not sure the menstrual cup would be any easier with the flow of doom. would take the sting out of your wallet.

hugs and chocolate to you Ms. NJQT.
    hope you feel better soon.

totally unrelated by maybe chuckle worthy: People Let Me Tell You About My Friend *cracks up*

#4 MickeyLee, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  5. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    My wife roomed with a woman who had extra severe cramps and bleeding so much so everyone in the house got rather blase' about it, often moping it up and talking about events of the day. I never recall what the exact diagnosis was, but her periods came every two months. Maybe her chemistry was making up for lost time.

6. D_Sherian_LaNeige

D_Sherian_LaNeige Account Disabled

That sounds nightmarish, my uterus cringes in sympathy!

7. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    i am so sorry to hear of your troubles!

my grandmother's remedy for constipation was to boil a glass of water, cool it down and then add a spoonful of honey to it. my mom swears by it!

p.s. uh scratch that, i didn't mean literally boil a glass of water. i realize how silly that sounds now. boil water, cool it & then pour a glass out and put a spoonful of honey in it.

#7 Enid, Jul 18, 2009
  8. crossy

Gold Member

Did they discuss the possibility of salpingitis. This might not be menstrual bleeding. I hope you can go to Atlanta. (Some of the best physicians in the country). I would suggest an endometrial biopsy. (Since this hasn't happened before) White count normal?

My Best to you - You are one of my favorite ladies. I hope you feel better soon.
    Do a little B12 Folic Acid and B6 combination. It will get the red cells cooking again

#8 crossy, Jul 18, 2009
  9. chrispet

chrispet New Member

Here is my 2 cents, as an acupuncture physician we deal with these type of issues all the time. Hopefully you have slowed down alittle. I would prescribe a blood toning herbal formula and of course eat as much protein as you can. I would look for an acupuncturist in your area that deals with women's isues and he/she can also treat your constipation. Here's the web site to look up an acupuncturist in your area NCCAOM.org. Look for find a practioner in the upper right corner, click on it and then type in your zipcode. Good-Luck!

10. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

NJQT, I'm sorry you've been going through this unusual experience, but I'm equally happy that you're getting better.Hope you're back to your regular(Uh, don't kill me for that one, ok?) self, ok?:kiss::grouphug:

11. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

12. dolfette

Gold Member

*humming* somethimes it hard to be a woman...

13. B_ballablang

B_ballablang New Member

damn girl i didnt know they had it this bad lol feel betta

14. Principessa

Gold Member

Thanks TMM!

15. Hippie Hollow Girl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey NJ,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, I have been through what you are talking about (except I haven't ever had any problems with anemia which has always amazed me.) Mine are supposedly caused by all the fibroids in my uterus. My periods are not like this every month. It is more like once every 5 or 6 months. And it will last for about 10 to 12 days worth of bleeding. It is a pain, but I would rather put up with it for now than have someone cut on my body take my uterus out and then me have to deal with all that other stuff. I am just not ready for a hysterectomy yet. Advil is my friend. I also do both night pads and tampons at the same time. I change the tampon every time I go to the bathroom. This is just how I deal with it.

The thing I would recommend for you is to make sure you get enough fiber in your diet with all that protein. Drink lots of water.

P.M. me if you would like.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

I am now on day 15 of the period from hell. :angryfire2:

My repro. endo. was able to squeeze me in for an ultrasound yesterday; and they discovered what appears to be another fucking fibroid! :angryfire2:

Back in early may I was told that I had 3 fibroids, but that one was not operable as it was intramural. So the surgery I had on 5/26/09 was to remove 2 submucosal fibroids. Well here's the kicker. :irked: Sometimes, very rarely an intramural fibroid will pop through the uterine wall and become submucosal after other fibroids have been removed. When the fibroid pops through the uterine wall it often causes what doctors call abnormal uterine bleeding. That's what happend to me. :mad:

However, the only way to confirm that is with a sonohysterogram and that can't be done until I stop friggin' bleeding. The way we stop my abnormal uterine bleeding is to put me on birth control pills for at least 2 months. It's not a normal dose of bcp's though. I am to take 3 pills a day for the first 7 days, then 2 pills a day for the next 7 days, then 1 pill a day for the next 7 days. Then I skip the placebo week, and start all over again. This is very upsetting to me because I just want to stop bleeding, so I can fuck and get pregnant. :mad::frown1: Oh yeah, after my period stops, I go back in for the sonohysterogram and then they schedule me another friggin' surgery to remove this new fibroid which has decided to poke it's ugly head out into my uterus.

So in the meantime I am borderline anemic and exhausted all the time because I am going through 8-10 maxi pads a day.

If only my garden grew things as well as my uterus, I'd have a bumper crop of veggies. :mad::yell:

#16 Principessa, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  17. dolfette

Gold Member

yikes! you poor thing!
    i think i'd be begging them to just chop the whole damn womb out by now.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

Yahoo! :smile: My crimson tide has finally stopped flowing after 17 days. I'd stand up and cheer, complete with kart wheels if I weren't so darned weak from blood loss. :irked:

19. dolfette

Gold Member

yay!!

...so now you get the intrusive medical tests?

20. Principessa

Gold Member

Yup, but not for another week or so as they have to be done mid-cycle. After a 17 day period theres no telling where the middle of my cycle is. :irked: :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted