Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, If I wouldn't double check my posts, you'd read a lot of 's in my posts...

Whether foreigners make the mistake is not the issue. Your claim was that the people who make the mistake are usually foreigners. That is what I am saying is false ("bullshit," as I impatiently put it). Most of the people who make the mistake are native speakers of English and do not have the excuse of struggling with a foreign language.

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Is thats all it takes to pisses you guys off? Man I am gonnas have some fun now...

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I actually had to talk to one of our administrative assistants this week about this. She sends emails to the whole building and puts 's to make her plurals.

And I'm seeing "its" (possessive) spelled "it's" (contraction) so much that I catch myself doing it. I just now had to correct a post I was about to make.

lighten the fuck up.

god damn grammar nazis

People are typing in a hurry... or are sucky typists... or don't take the time to spell check ( I am guilty of all three)
And spell check will not catch erroneous apostrophes...

Think of it as an intelligence test... can you figure out the content of the post?

Congtratulations! you just solved a puzzle!

Don't feel frustrated... feel accomplished.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is this the english teachers thread, do you all have buns in your hair, geeez, who care.

(1) Is this the english teachers thread? Yes.

(2) Do you all have buns in your hair? No, but at least some of us have hair on our buns.

(3) Who care? We does.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It took me a long time to learn where the ' key was, damn I'm gonna use it. I still sometimes hit Enter while trying to hit ' . My brain is often faster then my fingers.

D

deleted298367

Its spelt "awpefhinsEl", u ignert dumass. :mad:

What the fuck is your problem? I was saying how it annoys me when people don't use proper grammar. English is my language; I'd like for others to use it correctly rather than butchering it because they're too lazy to pay attention to what they write.

arthurdent

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And don't forget to mention alot (a lot), allright (all right) and the misuse of could of (have), would of (have).

AAAAGHHHHH!

Using "Could of" and "Would of" is something I find very irritating. My friend's daughters do it all the time. Each time, I find myself turning into my father because I am compelled to say "Have! Of is not a verb!". They look at me completely blankly. I can understand that "Could've" sounds like "Could of", so the two could be confused when speaking but I've seen them write it in their homework too!

It irks me when I receive a memo or email from the boss, which has been sent to everyone in the company but it is full of spelling and grammatical errors. It doesn't create a good impression. I'm probably the only person who notices or cares though.:frown1:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To me, the funny thing about all of this is that if you follow the people who riot when someone makes a spelling or grammar error, you'll often find that they themselves often make the same kind of mistakes. Sometimes it's accidental, sometimes the glory they recieve for knowing "i before e" is overridden by the fact that they can't tell the difference between direct and indirect quotes.

I dunno what to call it, hypocrisy, elitism, idiocy, supremacy, anal-retentive, all of the above sound suitable.

I guess some people are desperate for self-importance and the only leverage they have is an exaggerated "love" for or understanding of the "English" language. Atleast one variation of it since it's ever-evolving.

Some people just hate change. If you're going to be a freak about English you HAVE to accept that it's constantly changing. You can't cling for dear life to 1650s or 1850s or 1950s English in 2008.

Last edited:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just say no to using apostrophes to make plurals. GOD!

NCbear (who just read an entire post that represented all the plurals as plural's--it was confusing as hell and made me doubt my eyesight and ability to read)
its not somehtings" I doeses" on regular basis and I cant for the life under stand why somes" of the persons" who comes" on this sight and other sytes" wont stop placing them where they dont belong Its" absolutely infuriating it is". From now on I will use a standard closing quote :": to indicate my plurals" okay?

The thing is the Englosh language is hard to understand and follow some of the time (to hear some people, it's all of the time that it is difficult). I've made errors-most of us have, if the post is understable...er, understandable in all other ways I fail to see why there's a need to get too bothered. Keep in mind, English is not the first language for several members, so it becomes an added challenge to then understand the fine tunings of all the grammatical properness.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Keep in mind, English is not the first language for several members, so it becomes an added challenge to then understand the fine tunings of all the grammatical properness.

True, but the most frequently occurring errors of written English (among them the use of an apostrophe to form a plural ending) are made far more often by native speakers of English than by foreigners.

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's one of my pet peeve's :)) )....I fucking hate it and I see it getting worse and worse in this world...

One guy I have as a busines associate constantly fucks up your/you're, their/there and the/10 inch cock...okay, maybe 2 out of 3...