Rapidshare problem

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
okay, any of our resident cyber-geniuses want to give me some advice?

about 5 days ago i downloaded a file from rapidshare, no problem as usual.

now, in the last 5 days, everytime i go to download a file from there, the same exact message pops up...
----
ERROR
Your IP address (shows my IP number) is already downloading a file. Please wait until the download is completed.
-----

I tried turning off my modem, i erased all cookies, there is no non-completed download in my download manager.

anyone have any clue what this could be? It is really pissing me off.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
RS has been revamping lately. Maybe it's a temporary glitch (at least for your sake I hope so).

Not for nothing, but the smartest money I've spent in ages was a monthly premium membership to RS. It zips faster than you could imagine.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I'm not a genius with the computer or the 'net, but I think it has to do with your ISP. Something about the sharing of an IP address while online between many people on your same ISP. I'm on AOL and more often than not I can't download for free from Rapidshare either. I can sometimes get it to download by using Firefox or IE, but I almost never use those (I mainly use the AOL browser since it's faster for me), so I've just gotten used to not even trying to download from Rapidshare.

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What you described (shared IP) is a known issue, but if he has his own modem it is unlikely that it is causing his issue.

It is possibly some spyware that is on your machine. Bbucko is probably right though. Sounds like a Rapidshare issue. I would make sure it is not you by checking your IP, reseting your modem, and then making sure that it assigns a new IP. If you are using a wireless router or modem it is possible that someone is stealing your signal and using it. Again, tough to diagnose without being hands-on.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
RS has been revamping lately. Maybe it's a temporary glitch (at least for your sake I hope so).

Not for nothing, but the smartest money I've spent in ages was a monthly premium membership to RS. It zips faster than you could imagine.

thanks bucko...i thought it might be the revamp too...but everything was fine during it for me and i had no problems. :mad:

I know i should probably get the premium, but i am still too stubborn...i know eventually i will relent.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not a genius with the computer or the 'net, but I think it has to do with your ISP. Something about the sharing of an IP address while online between many people on your same ISP. I'm on AOL and more often than not I can't download for free from Rapidshare either. I can sometimes get it to download by using Firefox or IE, but I almost never use those (I mainly use the AOL browser since it's faster for me), so I've just gotten used to not even trying to download from Rapidshare.

i thought of that too, but i have been downloading from it for years without ever having a problem.

I always use firefox too...this just happened for the first time ever. :mad:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What you described (shared IP) is a known issue, but if he has his own modem it is unlikely that it is causing his issue.

It is possibly some spyware that is on your machine. Bbucko is probably right though. Sounds like a Rapidshare issue. I would make sure it is not you by checking your IP, reseting your modem, and then making sure that it assigns a new IP. If you are using a wireless router or modem it is possible that someone is stealing your signal and using it. Again, tough to diagnose without being hands-on.

thanks ron.

i already reset the modem...no dice.

i think you might be right about spyware possibly...i al going to do a scan and see if it turns up anything.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Agree with Bbucko .. Flashy..you really need to get the RS Premium, its just the best,100% hassle Free.
I am sure they mean to make the Free part of there service a plain HASSLE for the users.
Considering i am on Dial Up and use a Free Download Manager, am able to download whatever/whenever, and have never had a problem in over 18 months
Cheers
enz

RandyLahey

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Hey flashy man. I have this same problem with MegaUpload. It's just something on the site that isn't working properly with mozilla. The solution? Internet Explorer. I know I know.. even I cringe at the thought. But it really is the answer.. actually, its how I discovered that Megaupload secret to unlimited downloads.

This is my one rule for internet explorer. Never use it! The only time any page should be loaded in IE is once you already have opened up the download page in mozilla. Then just copy and paste the address into IE. This way, there is no "surfing" with internet explorer, just going to the exact page you want to get to. And IE doesn't have any safety settings mozilla does, which is why it works.. and why you should never use it to surf.

I promise you that if you use the same method as me, you won't have any problems. But if you are fearful of using IE, I understand, I was there too.

Last edited:

Paul G

Cherished Member
Media
You would get this problem if you're ISP or your own browser is using a Proxy server. That is, one server that downloads and caches webpages and then feeds them to your browser. The message your getting is because other people are also using that server and Rapidshare looks at the Proxy server's IP and not your IP. You can check you're browser isn't set to a proxy server easy enough. In IE go to Tools/Internet Options. Connections tab, LAN settings and make sure that no Proxy is set up. Some IP's use Proxys however.

Hope that helps.

debian4life

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An ISP wouldn't cause that issue. I doubt it is a proxy issue since this just started. ISP's stopped using Proxy for modem users back in the late '90s. Now ISP's give everyone either a static IP or Dynamic IP. Static IP means hard coded which is used mostly in corporate environments or for websites where the IP cannot change. ISP's usually use Dynamic IP which means everytime a user powers up they are assigned an IP from the range of addresses that the ISP has. A Proxy server would cause that in a corporate environment and especially schools where content filtering is needed.

Chances are you have a corrupt cookie. Cookies are used for authentication, session tracking (state maintenance), and maintaining specific information about users. Clear the cookies from whatever browser you are using. If using IE click - Tools - Internet options - Delete under browsing options - then choose cookies on next page. In Firefox 3 click Tools - Options - Privacy - Show Cookies. You then have the option to either Delete All cookies or select the site from the list and delete that information.

Let us know if this still is an issue!

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't think cookies is the issue. As I'd be shocked that RapidShare would use such a circumventable solution like cookies. Megashare does the same thing, and they actually display my IP address.

Per the shared IP someone mention prior [and not the DHCP kind]... I doubt that highly. That's so rare, and within corporate America... as in the end... everyone, I mean everyone needs some unique identifier, read Wikipedia TCP/IP to understand the basic routing of internet traffic.

You could wait until you get a new IP assigned to you from your provider. Which you don't necessarily get a new one everytime you log in. I've had the some one for at least a few months now (using VNC, VPN software between other ppl... my Dynamic IP hasn't changed for a long time). (assuming you don't have a static IP as mentioned above???? [you would request this, and pay ~$10-20 more per month]).

You can contact your ISP, or search their FAQs on getting a new IP address signed to you. You can say your work/livelihood depends on it, and your current IP address seems to be hung on their corporate firewall (a la duplicate login [like you are experiencing with RS]). You may have to get up a "few rungs" on their level of tech support.

Other alternative (if you are using a wireless and/or have access to your modem [usually 192.198.0.1]) is to change the MAC address of those peripherals... then re-log in/reset... the MAC Address will look like "00:43:B3:DC:61:9C". This is a bit advanced, but can work.

A longer, simpler alternative, ...might be to turn your modem off overnight/while at work/however, as long as you can... and hope someone else gets assigned that IP. Then when you fire everything up, you might get a new IP.

FYI: the command prompt ipconfig /release [and /renew] will not work. that's at the specific computer level.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well, thanks for the tips everyone...tried just about all the feasible and possible ones...

still no dice.

same exact thing coming up.

used RS for 4 years or whatever with no problem, now, it is fucked for me

:mad:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
flashy..you may want to try (if yr not aware of them already?)

RapidLibrary.com - Rapidshare Search engine

12 Oct 2007 ... your forget rapidlibary.com this guys have bigger base than rapidshare1, faster search process and more relevant search results ...

You can access the site..no problems
Think you still have to be a member tho..?just thinking that going thru this outfit,i assssssume you can get free downloads/i dont know? you may be able to avoid the crap yr currently getting..?

or.JOIN RS Matey..you wont regret it.