Rapper Calls For End To Gay Bashing

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Good for Kanye. It's great ot hear even ONE musician, especially someone was in the spotlight now as he is, to speak out on this subject.

2. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I wouldn't take what Kanye says too seriously. He contradicts himself worse than Tupac did, which is pretty bad. Add on top of this how arrogant he is, and it's very hard for me to take him seriously.

A nigga's money is homo, it's hard to get straight

Just one of many gay references off of Kanye's first album. Kind of funny that now he is coming out (no pun) against being ignorant towards gays.

3. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

True. I just like to think we can all grow--and past-present contradictions can happen in those cases. I was a teenage/young adult homophobe and have listented to rap my whole life. I have since grown tremendously and am happy to see him say this. He at least openly admits that he had been discriminatory--which is more than a lot of people can or will say. I am not a big fan of his--but am simply thankfully that he even SAID it.

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, I'm happy he said it too. It's long overdue in that world to try to open the minds of it's followrers. Music has often had strong social impact, so I'm glad to see someone trying to use it to actually make a difference. Doesn't mean he's a saint, just that he's trying to do right now.

5. steve319

Gold Member

Well, I'd like to think it's well-meaning too.

I'm not a fan either, but it's encouraging to see someone speak out about the issue. To me, though, it smacks a bit of the type of hollow careerism that was Eminem's hugging of Elton a few years back...not a fan of the hateful Mr. Mathers, either...

What I fear, though, is that this comment will become a false career lesson, a cautionary tale, for other hiphop artists if this new album tanks. Between his ego and hubris, West is due for a comeuppance (anyone else thinking second album jinx?). The fickle public loves to do that. I don't know his music, but how many times have we seen a new performer labelled a "genius" who then believes the hype, overestimates his own abilities, overreaches, and ends up alienating his audience?

If this new album is a flop, I can imagine some of the hiphop community (and especially the fatcat record execs) quietly blame it on this gay tolerance plea (whether that has anything to do with it or not) and work harder to perpetuate the hatred for the sake of legitimacy.

What? Too jaded?

6. KinkGuy

Gold Member

mr. mathers may have hugged Elton John but, has he ever made a positive statement to the Homosexual community? He certainly didn't in his lyrics. I'm just wondering if he has become any less biggoted?

7. jonb

Gold Member

People change. But you realize Kanye's as mainstream as they come (well, slightly less so than Puff Daddy or P Diddy or whatever he's calling himself now), so for him to come out against the gaybashing (which if nothing else is uncreative) will either cost him his career or make a significant portion of the mainstream realize gaybashing gets old.

8. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Still working for the Neo's though, isn't it?

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Albums:
    Whats the bet Kayne now cops more than his fair share of gay-related battle raps.
    They won't see it as a good thing, he'll just get more abuse. I MC myself, been doing it for a while, and if you come out supporting gays, the macho side of hip hop will drown you.

Not my belief, but just an observation

Good for Kanye. It's great ot hear even ONE musician, especially someone was in the spotlight now as he is, to speak out on this subject.
    [post=338427]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

10. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've listened to a lot of eminem records it always makes me laugh how so many people think that when he says "I'm gonna punch that faggot in his face" he actually means homosexual. I am sure he is not saying that, and I've heard him say the same. That when he uses the word "faggot" he is not actually referring to a homosexual, but merely using the word in order to tear down someone he doesn't like. He doesn't actully believe that that person is homosexual, but he is basically calling them weak or sissy. This may reveal a kind of generalization about homosexuals, that he thinks they are weak and sissy, bt again I doubt he actually believes that, he's merely usng the word as he understands it, as it is used by a lot of others. Does it help? Not really. Do I enjoy his music? yes i do. Should homosexuals get offended? I dont think so, but I'm not gay so I'll let them decide.

11. jonb

Gold Member

Well, he chose not to say nigger. So he needed another word. Makes us wonder if he's got a little secret. (Ever seen South Park with "hey there shitty shitty fag fag shitty shitty fag fag how do you do hey there shitty shitty fag fag shitty shitty fag fag how do you do"?)

12. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I am gay. ("No shit", you say?) Yeah, I'm offended. I believe that you're right about his using the term 'faggot' as a synonym for 'sissy' and to connote weakness. That's why I find it offensive: using a derogatory word for a gay man in that way implies that gay men in general are weak sissies. Stereotyping is never a good thing. What about someone who uses the word 'nigger' to refer to someone as lazy regardless of race? Does a black person have a right to be offended by such usage? Of course he does. Actually, using words like 'faggot' and 'nigger' is offensive regardless of the intended connotation.

13. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

"'cause I don't like that nigger shit/I'm just here to make a bigger hit." - Eminem

14. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am gay. ("No shit", you say?) Yeah, I'm offended. I believe that you're right about his using the term 'faggot' as a synonym for 'sissy' and to connote weakness. That's why I find it offensive: using a derogatory word for a gay man in that way implies that gay men in general are weak sissies. Stereotyping is never a good thing. What about someone who uses the word 'nigger' to refer to someone as lazy regardless of race? Does a black person have a right to be offended by such usage? Of course he does. Actually, using words like 'faggot' and 'nigger' is offensive regardless of the intended connotation.
    [post=339120]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    you're right about those words being offensive regardless of context. I hate em, but they do make me laugh every now and then.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Albums:
    As for the "hateful" Mr. Mathers, the term "faggot" in hip hop is like calling someone a wanker or a dickhead. It doesn't often literally refer to being gay.
    Overestimated his own abilities? Have you ever seen the vid of Eminem at the 97 rap Olympics? He came 2nd out of thousands of MCs. You know obviously know very little about him except for headlines.

16. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Albums:
    [post=339120]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    All kinds of stuff gets spat in hip hop. Should I call for a ban on Tupac and Ice Cube cds because they have used racist language against white people? No I really don't care sinc eI don't listen to either of them. But what annoys me is nobody has rejected them as racist like the backlash Eminem got because that wanker Benzino dug up some old unreleased tape where Em said nigger ones and tried to ruin his career with it. He had to explain himself in so many magazine/radio interviews. I don't see Public Enemy or Ice Cube having to do the same for the very same thing.
    Are any of them right in using that language? Well I don't agree with it, but I do support freedom of speech unless you are actually telling people to go out and kill.

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, we are only talking about what is offensive, no one is suggesting banning it. It's easy enough just to not buy it. The original post was about a rapper coming out and saying fag-hating is wrong, and whatever his reasons, I hope the trend catches on.

18. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes Madam, lets hope it is a trend and opens the door to more intellectual rap being accepted by the mainstream. I really do admire what kanye is doing, and its not just that one song. He also has a Jesus song which is brave. (Yes, I do not like christianity, but it is a break from the bitches and hoes shit that craps up the radio) He also has a song where he basically (at least in the video) equates owning a daimond with supporting rape and the maiming of children. I hope that cathes on as well, because this Bling Bling shit is annoying and materialistic.

19. warmsunshine

warmsunshine New Member

Dilznick
    I think you forgot to say that he got SUCH shit from using that word that he had to publicly apologize and promise not to use it again, IIRC.

I think Kanye is good for taking a stand like that...but I'd like it more if he weren't such an insufferable asshole in the rest of his life and attitudes...

20. mistergrasso

mistergrasso Member

That said, Mathers is very, very gay friendly. His appearance with Elton spoke more that mere platitudes.

as far as KW goes, I'll go right out and buy his latest album. It was in my maybe pile anyhow, but this is the clincher for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted