Rapper "Dolla" Is Killed

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by thirteenbyseven, May 19, 2009.

1. thirteenbyseven

Gold Member

Rapper Dolla is shot, killed at Beverly Center - Los Angeles Times Note: The third woman in the photo is Wonder Woman's ugly half-sister.

Whenever a rapper is killed the media generally reports it in the most sensitive way possible, as if shootings at a valet parking garage in an upscale Southern California mall were simply an unfortunate sign of the times. But the straight reporting borders on the ludicrous when newspapers and television reporters biography the dead rapper in question and his music in particular. I'll admit right off the bat that I as a tall European/American white guy have a distinct disadvantage, a cultural chasm in the understanding of rap and urban hip-hop. But could someone explain to me how the politically correct media tries to depict Dolla's body of work in the same breath with The Moody Blues or Beethoven?

Then there is always the sticky problem of printing the artists song titles and lyrics. In Dolla's case his huge platinum mongo best-selling record was "Who the Fuck Is That?" Yep, right up there with the great classics like the Beatles "She Loves You" and the Doors "Light My Fire." Occasionally there is some mild protest from women's groups over the lyrics rappers use, but then they face the difficulty of how to print the lyrics in question. How does the New York Times or Washington Post print the misogynistic line "get de bitch ready cus my knee banger is cum 'un"? So mostly they give outraged quotes from some group like MADDER (Mothers Against Dumb and Dumber Rappers.)

One last question: By this time the attrition rate of rappers should have reached the point that they are on an endangered species list, right?

#1 thirteenbyseven, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, you should've stopped right there with you analysis of the situation.

Also, I don't know what your height has to do with your insensitivity to a man being shot regardless of socio-economic background or career choice.

He was a rapper who was up and coming in the industry. His single wasn't a multi-platinum super success, but he did get spins in many markets across the US and had just been signed to Akon's Konvict Music label imprint. The same label who signed major acts like T-Pain (you don't know him) Kardinal Official (Probably don't know him either) and Lady GaGa (Yeah, the crazy chick who wears plastic bras and shit).

So, the news outfit wasn't trying to be "PC" with their reference to his small body of work being influential for the short period of time out. They were respecting someone who had worked hard (regardless of what your standards of "working hard" are) to get to his dreams, but was cut down in the process.

It's not so hard to understand that now is it?

3. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

That sucks he had some good music and would have been signed onto a label with others who made good music too.

4. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't want to sound negative about someones death or judgmental but sometimes people post what they feel. I don't know a thing about this artist but I do know a lot of people associate rap with lawlessness and the gangsta stereo type,then assuming this is the path that lead to there deaths. I do believe that a life is a life and not to be taken away in this violent manner. Regardless of his status as an artist his life should not be generalized.

5. thirteenbyseven

Gold Member

I was originally going to reinforce my "whiteness" by adding that despite being 6' 5" I would lose in a jump-ball contest to former NBA player Muggsy Bogues (5' 3"). Then I remembered what my 7th grade English teacher Miss Fartuney said about extraneous, non-pertinent information. I deleted the sentence.

Hey, it's still a shame what happened to the guy. KABC reported they apparently caught the killer at LAX terminal 1 (Southwest Airlines).

6. HungLatino

HungLatino New Member

Good riddance.

7. laughatbig

laughatbig New Member

Albums:
    Just another fine azz brotha that I won't get to tap, what a waste. No really I am not a hip hop fan, but I viewed some of his vid and he was on his way to a bright future.

8. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Maybe you should join his ranks?

9. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd actually never seen him before they showed his picture on the news, but my friend always used to always talk about him. She thought he was so hot.

Draft saved Draft deleted