Rare CD's

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Yorkie, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    Two Lane Blacktop was on tv tonight and I wondered if anyone had got round to re-releasing Dennis Wilson's solo album Pacific Ocean Blue.
    Not a chance! One seller is asking for $300.
    This has to be one of the most sought after albums in the world.

Amazon.com: Pacific Ocean Blue: Music: Dennis Wilson

Do you own any very rare CD's ? Have you ever paid an extortionate price for a record you've searched for?

2. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL...i paid 50 bucks for the original alex reece "candles" lp.
    i paid 50 for shantel-auto jumpstarts and remixes...someone jacked that.
    i used to spend 300 dollars every 2 months on records.
    (understands the addiction)
    :smile:

now i buy 2 cds in 6 months.

3. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Not extremely rare but i have

Red hot chili peppers - Plasma shaft
    Red hot chili peppers - Californication Limited edition 2 disc set
    Red hot chili peppers - One hot minute Limited edition, gold numbered disc

Yes..Im a fan:tongue:

4. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    RHCP are headlining the final night of Leeds Festival in 4 weeks time,I'll probably be trying to see 2 or 3 different stages at once. :smile:
    I like to know just how limited my limited editions are.
    My double length CD of PJ Harvey's debut album "Dry" was limited to 1000 numbered copies.I think that's my rarest one.

5. mindseye

Gold Member

I've got a copy of the Plasma Shaft set, too. I came across a used copy of all things -- someone gave theirs up!

The most I've ever paid for a single record was . . . a little over a hundred :eek2: . . . for a copy of the original pressing of Mike Oldfield's Platinum -- the first pressings were pulled from the stores almost immediately and re-released with a different tracklisting later.

You can view my CD/vinyl collection here.

6. Mulebear

Mulebear Member

Albums:
    I used to have lots of rare albums. I sold most of them for a pretty penny, but I kept a few.

I sold REM's first single on DB Records, Elvis Costello's Armed Forces with all of the flaps and pull outs, the Rauschenberg edition of The Talking Heads' Speaking In Tongues, lots of laser etched albums, The Strangler's The Raven with a 3D cover, et cetera. Many others.

I still have some XTC singles with special covers and I have a test pressing of Oingo Boingo's Only A Lad. I also have a few singles of some minor Athens, GA bands. Notably Oh Ok. A band that had Michale Stipe's Sister in it.

7. SteveHd

Gold Member

It's strange to me that CD's can be considered rare or collectible. They're not yet really old. I'd guess the master tapes of most have been saved.

8. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    After years of waiting it's finally getting a release again! :smile:
    Ebay won't be happy.

Late Beach Boy Dennis Wilson’s legendary album “Pacific Ocean Blue” is to finally see a widespread release.

The album, which has been out of print for over 15 years, routinely sells online for substantial amounts of money.

The two-disc reissue of the 1977 album will include the original album’s 12 tracks alongside unreleased songs from the sessions as well as one disc dedicated to unreleased tracks from Wilson’s proposed follow-up album “Bamboo”.

The album will also include new liner notes and unearthed photographs.

Out on May 13 in the US, it will likely see release the day before in the UK.

9. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

Sorry to be a cunt, but the apostrophe in the title really annoys me.

10. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

I have the first ever single (vinyls of which only 500 were made) for 4 different bands

only 2 of them I still like though...Hadouken! (like a ravey rap thing, they are good when you are in the mood) and the vinyl is hand coloured in by the singer

Los Campesinos! - really good Welsh band

Little man Tate - cheesy horrible band from Sheffield who I used to like

The Enemy - annoying badn who think they are oasis, but their first single was actually pretty good

My dad has loads of original beatles/sex pistols records etc, but I can't really count them as my own

11. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I don't own any rare CD's. But I will take any of the rare CD's listed on this website: THE OFFICIAL SWANS WEBSITE

One of my favorite bands, and their music is fucking hard to come by. It sucks.

12. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

I have a lot of mid-90s alt-rock promo CD singles that might be worth something now. Shakespear's Sister, etc.

Side note: has anyone else noticed how much lower in volume older CDs are than the ones released now? Play an old one and a new one on a player at the same volume. You'll see...

Kinda messes up my songlists when I rip an old CD and am trying to mix it with more recent stuff...

Kevbo

13. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

^ Shakespear's Sister is nice!
    If you had the LP I'd say expect a pm! :)

I have a few hard to find CDs, mostly electronica.
    The only ones worth something would be Deep Dish (Global Underground) - Moscow (which is very sexy) and a [SIZE=-1]Larry Heard cd single of "House That Jack Built" (more than a classic).

I could probably get about $50 each for them now, but not sure how they will age. Fortunately, they are in good condition. :) I never use them anymore, they have been stored for at least 5 years.
    [/SIZE]

14. mindseye

Gold Member

(source; bold emphasis is mine)

Seems there's support for both styles of usage.

I've made the case in the past on here that using apostrophes in plurals make sense if there's a reasonable chance that the word could be misread otherwise. For example, I'll bet many of you won't parse this correctly on the first read:

Wouldn't that sentence have been easier to understand if the first word had been spelled A's? Then, given that the apostrophe makes sense for some plurals, I have no objections to people who wish to extend this usage for the sake of consistency.

In short, CD's doesn't bother me; I'm sorry it "really annoys" you.

15. Kevbo

Kevbo Member

Shakespear's Sister -- I think I have the tape. (Just checked -- I do. "Hormonally Yours". Don't have the full CD :-<)

Kevbo

16. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Then no PMs for you... :smile:
    But I did love that album, it was a staple along with Concrete Blonde.

Draft saved Draft deleted