Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hey all not sure if this is just the whole USA stereotype not applying to the rest of the world but there appears to be a severe lack of parties at uni (I'm in Sydney btw) :(

I was hoping for the typical experience (again drawing from movies which I know are fiction but the sheer volume of them must have some grounding in reality) of parties, meeting brilliant people and hopefully getting action for the first time - in addition to lectures blah blah :p

I don't live on campus (or close to campus, I live an hour away at home) sadly but that shouldn't be that much of a barrier to a real uni experience. Has anyone else completed their first year and been similarly disappointed?

(NOT SURE WHERE THIS GOES BUT MEH!! If it's wrong, move it to where it's meant to go)

mwb123

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Personally, from my experience in the UK, the parties etc were mostly unplanned and came around because a few people who lived locally, be it on campus or in an area highly populated by students, decided they fancied a drink, the next thing you know you're getting a blow job from one of the cheerleaders ;)

HunggGreek

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Personally, from my experience in the UK, the parties etc were mostly unplanned and came around because a few people who lived locally, be it on campus or in an area highly populated by students, decided they fancied a drink, the next thing you know you're getting a blow job from one of the cheerleaders ;)

See this is the kind of thing I want to be part of, but I can't afford to move out to be in the campus area, rent in Sydney is stupid and I can't find a job

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was hoping for the typical experience (again drawing from movies which I know are fiction but the sheer volume of them must have some grounding in reality)

Nope. I'm afraid they're all fake-ass Hollywood bullshit. Reality rarely imitates them.

I don't live on campus (or close to campus, I live an hour away at home) sadly but that shouldn't be that much of a barrier to a real uni experience.

That's also a problem; I'm afraid it is that much of a barrier. I agree with mwb123 that the fun of university social life tends to be spontaneous and on- or near-campus.

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's not really fiction, although parties are often depicted as more glamorous than they actually are. And people don't just go upstairs or in the bathroom or whatever to hook up. Not from what I've seen at parties.

There are always parties at my campus. They're held either by fraternities (where guys usually have to pay $5 or $10 to get in) or by other students living in apartments (these are the less official but the more popular parties). The ones held by frats are also broken up by police quite early in the night (usually by midnight but as late as 2am) whereas they care more for your safety if you go to the apartments (they only stop the party when it starts getting violent or when people are too drunk, and this usually happens at 3-4am).

You have the crowded rooms, a DJ blasting loud music, and people "socializing" in the back of the house (drinking games or doing other stuff, you know - I'm not talking about anything sexual). You can always meet new people, but what usually ends up happening is that you go with a group of people you know and trust, especially if you're a girl. The best chance to meet someone new is if you meet them on a way to a party or something. Once you're in the party, there's no way you'd be able to have clear communication with each other.

A lot of one-night-stands happen from parties... A girl is alone, a guy goes up and dances with her (it's mostly expected), and sometimes she'll dance a bit to be nice but then after a few minutes she'll move on if she's not interested. If she is interested, she may stick around and apparently that's when things would start heating up between you two... I don't really know how true this is, though. I always get kicked away :p

Anyway... That's my experience from parties at my university. I admit that Hollywood often glamorizes these parties. But they do happen.

MoociMan

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If you want to party, get a job and throw some for the money or go out on night clubs. If you want to acquire valuable knowledge and grow as a person, go to uni. Partying happens at parties, studying is done at the university. P.S., there are parties at the university, you just have to find them.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had one sort of experience where I was at a pyjama party and grinding against this girl's arse. I had a semi and it was pretty obvious due to the attire I was wearing. Her boyfriend was not impressed.

And then that same night I was grinding my semi against my female flatmate's arse. She seemed to be enjoying it, although never said anything the next day...

But most of the time its just go out and get pissed, there are no orgies. College Fuck Fest and similar things are all staged.

92philip

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Yeah it seems like parties do happen, but they really aren't as frequent as Hollywood makes them out to be. Most of the parties happen in the first year anyway, and most of them are thrown by the sororities and fraternities. I think the biggest reason for this is that college students are much more serious now about education, as it should be. It is difficult to find jobs, and college is a lot harder now than it was even 5 years ago. There's no time for screwing around because we are constantly studying.

That's my take on it.

MaxCurious

1st Like
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
At my uni in the US Hollywood parties are kind of true. One of the first nights of college I went to a huge frat party with like 100 people drinking and playing pong in the backyard and no one knew each other - just loud music, dancing, beer everywhere, people talking and dancing, talking to random people, etc. I also went to a club downtown where a lot of college kids go and it was UNREAL - one night there was a foam party where the entire club was filled with like two inches of standing water and they had like bubble bath machines hanging from the ceiling shooting foam down everywhere - so everyone was wet, there were bubbles EVERYWHERE, people were dancing, soaking, and generally having a great time.

I also have some crazy dorm stories...

I go to a really large state school and live on campus but there are a lot of Hollywood moments.

MoonDoggy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm in Perth and doing my postgrad now, did my Bachelor's at another university. The further along in the degree you get the slower the parties appear, but that's to be expected. When I started people partied and drank all night then took a few days to recover. Guess everyone grows up eventually. I think in Australia parties tend to revolve around going out rather than house parties. Everyone turns 18 in their first year of uni so they all want to hit the pubs and clubs etc as much as possible. Love house parties though.